WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm planning to hike just a few miles on my first day (due to probably arriving mid-late afternoon) and was looking at designated backcountry sites within Jones Gap State Park along the Middle Saluda River that are just a couple of miles from the trailhead. That would put me in a good position to see Raven Cliff Falls the next morning and then continue on to camp shortly before the Cesar's Head extension reaches the main Foothills Trail at Sassafras Mountain (the guidebook lists a few sites along the Cesar's Head spur trail. This would be about a 16 mile first "real" day including the side trip to Ravens Cliff Falls. It is probably a bit lower than the miles I would normally like to cover but from what I recall and read in the guidebook, there isn't great camping on the FT itself between Sassafras Mountain and the Laurel Valley which would result in a ~23+ mile day and not sure if I want to do that.

I'll probably hike the Fork Mountain spur assuming I have the time and energy to do so. It looks like it might add around 5 miles but could be worthwhile. I don't have many recollections of the trail between Sloan Bridge and Burrell's Ford campground from my last hike - I think it was mainly forested trail with no major landmarks.

I hiked 32 miles from Bad Creek access back to Oconee SP the last week of December when it was very cold. I saw 5 people in 3 1/2 days and two were fisherman so I basically had the place to myself. Do not pass up the opportunity to see different waterfalls down spur trails. They are incredible.

WF1.JPGWF2.JPGRiver.JPG

The 32 mile section I did in December was deceptively easy as I found out in February when I completed the trail by hiking 45 miles from Bad Creek access to Table Rock State Park. It was probably one of the more amazing trails I have ever been on as Duke energy built literally hundreds of bridges, some just two logs of 10' or so up to a 226' suspension bridge. It was also one of the toughest sections I have done with possibly the exception of the Duncan Ridge Trail in Georgia.

Bridge.JPGBridge2.JPG

It was very wet but record warm in February and I again had the entire trail to myself. It rained everyday but I was lucky in it not raining at night once I got to my campsite. I had a nice fire going every night. Outside of one thru-hiker, a 25 year-old from Charlotte doing the trail in 3 days, I didn't see anyone else in 4 days. There were animals everywhere. I saw wild turkey which look hilarious when they run (man they are fast) and many, many red-headed woodpeckers. I heard what I think was a bear hooting as it ran away and also heard a fox. I spooked a few deer on Heart Break Ridge which scared me but scared one of the deer even more as she stumbled and started tumbling down the mountain. I felt really bad about that but it was an accident. It was raining hard and she didn't hear me coming.

Sal.JPG

Of the 4 nights, night 2 was at Gorges State Park in North Carolina. It was closed for the winter but open for thru-hikers so I again was completely alone. There were picnic tables and many camp sites to choose from. I could imagine in the summer this place would be packed but I was the only person on the face of the earth there at that time. I found that pretty cool.

Camp.JPG

The climb out of the Gorges Park on Heart Break Ridge was truly the hardest 1 mile of trail I have ever hiked. .7 miles of straight up stairs. I had to pull myself up to the next step with my hands. It was raining hard and the stairs were slick which made it even tougher. I was alone and if I had fallen, there would be no way for me to get out. Cell phone reception on the trail is almost non-existent and I use Verizon which is usually pretty good. My mantra for the trip which I stole from the Atlanta Falcons was "embrace the suck" with all the rain and the toughness of the trail. I kept repeating this over and over.

The fourth night, I camped on top of Sassafras Mountain at a old homestead that had been literally carved into a forest of mountain laurel. It is 1.1 miles from the top of Sassafras with a good water source.

Sass.JPG

I cannot recommend this trail enough. The maintenance is AAA+++ and very well marked with many water sources. I found myself just drinking out of the stream in many places. Jim Simpson, a shuttle driver, is awesome. You can find him on the FHT website.

Have fun and remember to "embrace the suck". It isn't an easy trail but it sure is rewarding.

I forgot to include this on my previous post. I have no idea what this is but it is a huge footprint I found on the FHT. I thought it was a prank at first but it was out in the middle of nowhere. There were no claws so it couldn't have been a bear. All I know, it was one big foot.

foot.JPG

You can see how deep the heal indentation was on the bottom of the photo. Also the top left big toe is very noticeable. I have no idea what could have made this. There did not seem to be five toes.

Indeed, it is an awesome trail with many great bridges and lots of attention to detail throughout. My experience was also quite solitary when I hiked in early February 2015, very cold, and I saw hardly any animals. Never rained. I expect a different experience later this month - probably warmer, expecting more animals and people, and I would be surprised if I again escape without any precipitation!

You may not get as far as you assume from your Middle Saluda River CS area to just before the steep but shortish ascent to Sassafras Mt junction with the FHT coming from Table Rock. How long it takes depends on if you're doing Rainbow Falls out and back (some rough trail), exact route through CH SP and how well you navigate through the burn area.

I didn't GPS it but along the FS road where there is a sharp bend back to the right on the South side of the graveled road is a large flat area right in front of the Greenville painted boundary markers on trees. The blaze can be easy to miss here as the FHT goes back into the woods. Right behind this flat spot is a yr round spring easy to miss. You can camp here as long as you stay in front of the watershed markers. I've asked several LEO'S and watershed authorities about this
    All said as long as you're not camping behind the boundary lone youre good.

Watch for blazes on the section.

On the descent shortly after the Sassafras summit is a flat spot to camp usually with water nearby in spring.

Good report Cneill. That CS area on the river and cove of Jocassaee with the food hang poles I've past many times in all 4 seasons. I've never seen more than two parties here. Kinda surprising to me too since the site is quite nice

Thanks Dogwood, for the campsite recommendation. I think that the site you reference might be the one that the guidebook mentions on the Cesars Head spur 2.4 miles from the junction with the Foothills Trail near the Sassafras summit, at least it sounds similar. Good to know that there's possible camping shortly after the Sassafras summit descending on the Foothills Trail, in case I have time and energy to push further.

I am not sure if I'll hike Rainbow Falls or not in Jones Gap State Park. If I do, it'll be on my first (short) day since I'll be passing the junction to the falls prior to reaching my campsite on the Middle Saluda River. I'm hoping to if I get to the park early enough. Daylight savings time should help. I plan to spend more time at the other falls and taking advantage of the other spur trails which I did not use on my first thru hike.

I have the trip all planned out now - and on the way back to the airport after the hike, I'll be visiting a number of the AT trail towns on a mini road trip - Franklin NC, Hiawassee, Neel's Gap, and maybe a short hike in Amicalola state park. Maybe I'll give a few AT thrus rides from trail to town or town to trail. Thanks again.

After Raven Cliff Falls about 2 -3 miles before a shallow ford of Julian Creek, sometimes you can rock hop, on the Watson Cooper Nature Preserve boundary, off a restricted gravel road, on your left are some nice established flat areas for camping.
    https://www2.dnr.sc.gov/ManagedLands...ManagedLand/18

Finished the trail last Sunday about 3:30. My weather window turned sour at the start and I ended up getting a cabin for the first night while the rain moved out -- one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. It appeared that Table Rock also has cabins and I would seriously consider getting a cabin the night before regardless, just to get an early start on the trail.

This was my longest ever hike, the previous was the 44 mile Pictured Rocks trail, and it was challenging in places, but only because I decided to push for miles each day and did the trail in five days. I've long wanted to know what it would be like to thru-hike one of the longer trails and I now have a much better sense of it. I still took the time to shoot a fair amount of video of the river and waterfalls and hope to post the video to my channel on Youtube in the next few days.

I do believe I timed this trip quite well. I saw one or two mosquitoes, a few gnats, never had any snow that stuck on the ground, and only the first couple of nights were a bit cold. The only rain I had was on the morning of the last day getting to and going up Sassafras.

Thanks again to all for their help and advice.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    ...there isn't great camping on the FT itself between Sassafras Mountain and the Laurel Valley...
    On page 97 of the guidebook, there's a mention of a campsite 1.3 miles from A4 -- and I thought it was excellent. I camped there last Saturday. The guidebook says the path to the site is 100 feet after the bridge and that may have been true, but I found the best path to be right at the bridge. I suspect this is one of those instances where the shift in direction in the guidebook wasn't accurate. It is a nice flat site, somewhat up on a plateau with a small creek adjacent to it. Lots of good firewood about as well.

FWIW

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JM0278 View Post
    On page 97 of the guidebook, there's a mention of a campsite 1.3 miles from A4 -- and I thought it was excellent. I camped there last Saturday. The guidebook says the path to the site is 100 feet after the bridge and that may have been true, but I found the best path to be right at the bridge. I suspect this is one of those instances where the shift in direction in the guidebook wasn't accurate. It is a nice flat site, somewhat up on a plateau with a small creek adjacent to it. Lots of good firewood about as well.

FWIW

Jim
    It looks like the Foothills Trail association must have put out a more current guidebook than the 2013 edition I have (from the looks of the book on the website). My page 97 is about the Cesar's Head alternate, not section A4. Is the campsite 1.3 miles prior to the start of A4 (heading solo) or 1.3 miles after the start of A4? Thanks

The campsite is mentioned in the back half of the sixth edition, for hiking the trail from west to east. Specifically, from "Laurel Valley (A4) to Chimneytop Gap (A3)". The complete text of the entry for mile 1.3 is "Cross 11-ft bridge with single handrail over small creek. 100 feet ahead on right a short trail leads down to a flat campsite area. Creek serves as water source."

Hiking from east to west, the campsite is shown at mile 0.8 between A3 and A4.

I found the best path to the campsite right at the bridge, not after it.

Thanks, that could work out well for me if I'm up for a longer day. It sounds like the 6th edition of the guidebook has added information not appearing in my fifth edition. I'm heading out this week.

It was truly the "missing link" mileage-wise for me.

Just posted two videos about my hike, one seven minutes long and the other 38 minutes on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/minerjd

Both videos start with "Foothills Trail March 2018".

FWIW

Jim

Nice videos. I just got to the point where you show your night 2 campsite which was precisely where I camped back in Feb 2015. Beautiful spot high above the other sites and the water source. If all goes well, I'll probably be camped at that spot myself on night 3 or 4 of my upcoming Jones Gap to Oconee hike later this week. Did you do the side trail to the lower whitewater falls? I'm planning to if time/weather permits.

If I had to guess(I'd put my money on it) in today's get er dun fast paced go go go gotta go culture most bypass the Lower Whitewater Falls Overlook Deck. Of all those I asked I've met on the FHT hiking by the Lower Whitewater junction only 1 in 5 maybe experience the LWFOD. I rarely see others there. I emergency slept on this deck one time on a beautiful brisk fall night with crystal clear skies with the sounds of the falls rumbling behind. It helped getting through the pain of a twisted knee.

From brief interviews of the other FHT thrus I've asked I'd guesstimate a ballpark of 30-40 % didn't go to the Upper Whitewater Falls overlook deck. It boggles my mind why so many would pass up the opportunity to see one of the most impressive waterfalls east of the Mississippi when being so near the experience and the FHT known for waterfalls.

Visited the Upper Whitewater Falls Overlook Deck a few months back. It's totally rebuilt with the design and build quality A+.

At the signed LWFOD junction is a large flat area down the hill perfect for camping. H2O is nearby slightly down slope of the camping area towards the river. There was a sign pointing the way to the H2O location but it may no longer be there. This is a great spot to set up camp and do the shortish spur to the LWFOD. Its a elev loss getting to the deck. Hang your food here! Two med sized bears frequent the area, once running off with one complacent hiker's food bag of hot dogs and steaks that were being prepared over a campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Did you do the side trail to the lower whitewater falls? I'm planning to if time/weather permits.
    No, no side trails this trip. After I got going, I decided I was going to explore what it's like to "thru-hike" with the intention of making daily mileage.

Side trails are daily mileage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++