WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Considering Foothills Trail in March

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering a Foothills Trail thru-hike this month, Oconee to Table Rock, and am wondering what those with experience of the trail this time of year might have to say. I've been backpacking for a few years now, my longest being the 40+ mile Pictured Rocks trail in Michigan's upper peninsula and plan to spend four to six nights on the trail.

Some specific questions the FoothillsTrail.org website doesn't seem to address:
    * Is Pickens SC the best location to use for weather forecasts? I've been watching the weather there for a while now, but I often wonder if the weather on the trail might be significantly different due to elevation or...?
    * How are the bugs? I had a terrible time with sand flies (fleas?) on the South Carolina coast years ago in April and I don't want to repeat that experience. And up here in the north in late May, the black flies can be absolutely miserable. Also, I read a report here in the forums of a guy that had a terrible time with spider bites. Are spiders an issue this time of year?
    * I'm assuming the water situation is ok, given the rain the past few months.

It's an 11-hour drive and a hotel stay for me to get there from Michigan, but since I'm retired, I can pretty much pick and choose when to go. All input will be much appreciated.

TIA

Jim

I thru-hiked in December and May.

Pickens was fine for general weather. It's pretty variable with all the ups/downs/and little pockets you find anyway.
    December had zero bugs. I don't recall having an issue in May despite using a hammock with no bug net. I did bring a head net but don't recall wearing it.
    Regarding spiders - no issues for me.
    Water was TOO plentiful in December (lots of muddy trail) and more than plentiful in May. In fact it's one of the rare trails where I rarely carried more than a liter of water b/c there seemed to be a spring or water source around every corner.

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

I completed the trail last March. It was a perfect time of year, although the weather in March can vary from snow to 70 degrees. We had lows in the 30's, highs in the 50's, with a couple of days of showers. Being old farts, we took 7 days although kids often do it in two or three. With the leaves off, better views are available from the ridges, and the humidity of summer is not yet a problem. We had no issues with bugs, including spiders. Going west to east, as you are, puts the afternoon sun at your back for the most part, and you avoid a 3000+ foot climb your first day. Water won't be an issue, as there are streams every couple of miles for the most part. Be aware that there's a daily charge to leave a vehicle at the state parks on either end, and the offices don't open until 9 in winter. We got lucky and found a ranger at Table Rock who opened the office early and issued our parking pass so we could head for Oconee and get on the trail.

The trail is surprisingly steep in places with lots of ups and downs, especially on the easterly half, but it is one of the finest trails I've ever done.Have a good hike.
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

I thru hiked in early February 2015. It was cold but the weather was perfect. I remember thinking that March would probably be ideal in that part of the world... Wonderful hike, uncrowded, very well maintained trails, nice spots to camp, great trail organization with volunteer shuttles (although you should donate a reasonable amount for their time). Definitely recommend.

Hiker33,

Excellent info and exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've been retired for a few years now and the weather this winter up here in Michigan made staying fit very challenging so seven days seems prudent.

Avoiding the big climb the first day with the heavy pack was definitely the reason for the direction choice.

Thanks!

Jim

Coffee,

I prefer cold to heat and bugs, but aiming for the sweet spot when the temps are up just a bit while the bugs are still gone is what I'm hoping for. I was stationed on the S. Carolina coast years ago, and the sand fleas (sand flies?) in March/April really took a liking to me.

I spoke with a shuttle driver today and I'll certainly ensure his efforts are worthwhile. Looks like there may be four days of good weather after the rain this coming Tuesday...

Thanks!

Jim

Jim, there wasn't a trace of bugs in February three years ago. It was so cold with a hard freeze each night that they wouldn't have survived long. I'm not sure what the Foothills Trail is like in March from a bug perspective but on the AT sections I've hiked, bugs haven't been an issue until well into May (mostly in Virginia, Shenandoah area). I'm sure one of the shuttle drivers could fill you in on whether bugs will be an issue.

I'm seriously considering a Foothills Trail thru-hike this month, Oconee to Table Rock, and am wondering what those with experience of the trail this time of year might have to say. I've been backpacking for a few years now, my longest being the 40+ mile Pictured Rocks trail in Michigan's upper peninsula and plan to spend four to six nights on the trail.

I've thrued the FHT 4x or 5x (I've lost count) and have incorporated long portions of it on other hikes. I like going in winter Dec - Feb when a favorable weather window exists when I want a 90-120 miler relatively close to home in GA...or, the fall between mid Oct - early Dec when there is still fall color but the leaves on the deciduous trees start thinning making for longer far reaching views...or, between mid Mar- 3 rd wk Apr when the oconee bells, a rare flowe is blooming.
    * Is Pickens SC the best location to use for weather forecasts? I've been watching the weather there for a while now, but I often wonder if the weather on the trail might be significantly different due to elevation or...?
    * How are the bugs? I had a terrible time with sand flies (fleas?) on the South Carolina coast years ago in April and I don't want to repeat that experience. And up here in the north in late May, the black flies can be absolutely miserable. Also, I read a report here in the forums of a guy that had a terrible time with spider bites. Are spiders an issue this time of year?

It's an 11-hour drive and a hotel stay for me to get there from Michigan, but since I'm retired, I can pretty much pick and choose when to go. All input will be much appreciated.

TIA

Jim[/QUOTE]

Sorry,

...the oconee bells are blooming, a rare flower, AND the abundant waterfalls are typically at very good volume. However, the same wet weather that gets the falls pumping may not be as embraced during the hike. In the early to mid spring I look for a dry spell of about 5-7 days that follows a wet spell with a few non wet days between.
    In your FHT site research I'm sure you noticed this border area on the Blue Ridge Escarpment between NC and upstate SC is noted for being a temperate rain forest making the entire area rife with waterfalls, rare plants, lush growth, milder temps, and steep terrain(at times). History abounds.

Pickens SC is good for general weather. The weather reporting station in Pickens is probably around 900-1000ft. The FHT gets up to 3500 ft though at Sassafras Mt, the highest pt in SC. Weather should be slightly adjusted for the higher elev times. You probably know but in case U don't subtract 3.3 degrees for every 1000 ft increase in elevation.from Pickens temps. The FHT is not a high elevation or sustained high elev trail. It is not a trail with great exposure. The FHT is generally a forested hike extremely lush at times.

Oconee SP, Gorges SP(hqtrs in NC), and Table Rock SP all monitor and post weather (at least at the parks themselves).

I never had a problem with sand fleas or black flies on the FHT. Not 100% sure but I'd guess skeeters can start becoming a beginning issue in Apr. I don't see a huge spider issue for you on mid Mar- mid Apr.

Obtaining water is rarely to ever a problem overall on the FHT. There are however some stretches where water is less abundant or absent. FHT materials should help with water logistics during those stretches.

Pick a favorable weather window in mid March through May. Check out all the waterfalls. Some trails to them aren't signed. Buy a FHT map; it helps designing your hike. If bought from the FHT Conference part of the proceeds go to supporting the trail.

Check out the FHT elevation profile. The net elevation change overall is so similar either direction. What isn't the same is the daily elevation based on direction. Starting in Oconée SP the first 1.5- 2 days based on a 7 day thru are easy and relatively flat with abundant opps to H2O. It gets a little more roller coasting towards the mid and ending of your FHT thru direction.

I find worthy side trips to Upper AND Lower Whitewater Falls overlooks, Estatoe Gorge, Whallhala Fish Factory, and, as said, the other abundant waterfalls.

I like all the bridges, steps, river and stream crossings of the FHT. These are very scenic and engaging. I don't think a FHT hike has gone on without me seeing flocks of wild turkey, several owls, waterfowl, and fish. It's not that uncommon for me to cross a black bear, bobcat, and osprey or Bald Eagle(around Jocassaee Reservoir). I've seen armadillos as well.

I typically like going towards Oconée SP because I like to add trail mileage on the front end by doing an alternate start at Mt Bridge Wilderness, Jones Gap SP, or Caesars Head SP. I also like to coast on the last day or two over easier terrain along the National Scenic River - the Chattooga River - and maybe fish and swim one day. I find ending at O SP a hot shower waiting for me and maybe a cold drink and ice cream, just rewards earned for thruing the FHT. I like wandering down to the lake bathhouse/boathouse to admire the lasting high quality work the CCC boys left behind before possiby never returning as many went on to serve in WW II. Chestnut trees once abundant were used in the construction. The set pavers are still in place and generally level. The original carpentry, masonry, and hardware shows craftsmanship not always seen today.

Thru-hiking is not just about hiking.

I've only employed Heyward Douglas for shuttle service. He knows the FHT and surrounding area well. He's not only knowledgeable but dependable, cost effective, and a dam nice guy. Maybe, he'll offer some of his personal life as a pilot. He drove me all the way to Asheville NC one time on a rainy day after my second FHT thru hike basically only asking for gas costs. Couldn't do that to him though. He was or still is a higher up, maybe the President, of the FHT Conservancy.

On your first day put of OSP you may want to take some H2O from the SP with you.

"I typically like going towards Oconée SP because I like to add trail mileage on the front end by doing an alternate start at Mt Bridge Wilderness, Jones Gap SP, or Caesars Head SP."

Dogwood, having thru hiked the trail in the Table Rock direction in 2015, I'm thinking about going in the reverse direction next time I hike the FT toward Oconee. I'm definitely interested in an alternate start and skipping Table Rock. Do you think that starting from Jones Gap SP is worthwhile or would you start from Cesar's Head? Both look interesting on the SC state parks website. How's the camping between these parks and the junction with the main Foothills Trail? There's an interesting sounding side trail in Cesar's Head called Raven's Cliff Falls that I'm thinking about as well.

I'm thinking of going back to the Foothills trail sometime this spring since I now anticipate having a week or so to hike that just freed up. Thanks.

LOL. If I'm understanding you Coffee you're asking me if I think it worth it starting at JG SP or CH SP or in MB W? Of course, yes, which is why those are places I usually start a FHT thru or longer hike that incorporates much of the FHT.

Since this area is rife with waterfalls I like to take in as many as I can on a hike that incorporates some or all of the FHT. It helps being a waterfall seeker. I don't know why one would pick this area for a thru hike if they were going to ignore the waterfall scenery.

Starting at JG SP, first checking out the fish hatchery history of this SP, then hiking along the Middle Saluda River(its a historical toll rd/path) doing a side out and back to Rainbow Falls(there's another steep way to these falls from Camp Greenville off the YMCA Camp Rd on the NC/SC border, once the only way to reach these falls) is a great start...as I perceive hiking. Thru hiking is not just about hiking.
    http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/rainbow_sc1.htm

On proceeding trips I like diversity so experience alternate trails in JG SP to CH SP. I may even start further east in MB W at Falls Creek Falls TH where I get dropped off.
    http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/falls_creek1.htm

Caesars Head SP contains Raven Cliff Falls high on SC and NC waterfall lists. It's impressive when in high volume.

I prefer going to the wooden overlook platform from across the gorge first...which is where I think this photo was taken near. For a steep adventure I like going down Dismal Tr in non wet weather and up to and across a swinging bridge at the apex of the second drop. This requires a ford. There's a nice section along the base of an escarpment too. I find this way harder but more scenic than taking the Gum Rd from the wooden overlook.

I consider these experiences worth it in context of balancing out the different but more remote possibly less interestingly scenic mileage after that to Sassafras Mt that recently experienced a low temp fire. The FHT in places was used as the fire line. Trail tread is still visible but one should watch along for blazes and have a map and maybe guidebook for this mileage. it's not a long distance and some of it can be walked alternatively on back country FS gravel roads. The FHT is burnt on one side of the tread/route and virtually untouched on the north side. I just hiked this on a FHT WEBO thru in Jan and previously after the fire about a yr ago.

Dispersed LNT camping abounds. JG SP you have to stay at designated CS's. I've never had any issues from any LEO when respecting CS regs. The FHT IMO can be a find your own place to camp situation but the FHT Map and FHT Guidebook put out by the FHT Conservancy lists established CS's for those that take that sole approach.

If you want anymore tips or insider info if I know it I'd be glad to assist.

Mid Mar is a great time for a FHT hike. blooms start bursting, waterfalls pumping, spring can be in the air, animals become more active, cool warmish but sunny days with cool nights,..

Watch for favorable dry weather windows though for your hiking timeframe.

Next on the FHT incorporated bucket list is hiking from Dupont Rec Area in NC to Jones Gap SP connecting with the FHT at CH SP.

Thanks Dogwood, you've sold me on starting at Jones Gap State Park! I've been reading about the designated backcountry campsites and the Mountain Bridge Wilderness and will likely reserve one of the backcountry sites for my first day, making it a low mileage one to check out the waterfalls. My second day should take me through Cesar's Head State Park (with the side trip to Raven's Cliff Falls) to the "official" foothills trail and south of Sassafras Mountain before I camp. I have the Foothills Trail guidebook and map at home and I've hiked the trail northbound before so I have a good idea what to expect once on the officially designated Foothills Trail.

Dogwood,

Thanks for all the good info, especially the historic aspects!

Jim

You're very welcome. Paying it forward. At the heart of WB and the hiking community is positively sharing what others can use and being open to learning new things yourself. Showing appreciation and gratitude keeps us in a good place.
    It's nice to be nice.

I feel like I'm kind of hijacking the thread with my questions but I've decided to hike the FT later this month as well and figure it's kind of on topic. Dogwood, I'm curious whether you've ever hiked the Fork Mountain Spur Trail alternate between the Sloan Bridge Access and the Burrell's Ford area. I'll be hiking toward Oconee and, if time and energy allows, I might want to check out this spur and especially Ellicott Rock - the point where GA, SC, and NC meet which is along this trail. Having thru hiked the FT proper in 2015 toward Table Rock, I'm looking to do some more alternates. I'm starting at Jones Gap. I've reserved one of their backcountry sites for the night of my first short day, then continuing on to cesars Head and Ravens Cliff Falls before joining the FT at Sassafras mountain. I've been reading the guidebook and got excited about possibly visiting the NC/SC/GA border (Ellicott Rock).

Yes, I've hiked the Fork Mt spur. The FHT Conservancy guidebook helps detailing the trail and finding the TH although both aren't that difficult.

I like taking it for finding Ellicott Rock and doing more alternative distance on the Chattooga River. Some primo CS's on the river and a couple of waterfalls missed if you take the main FHT route which I find rather blase during summer if I'm not stopping by the Wallhalla Fish Hatchery

Coffee, what's your general first real day anticipated mileage? I ask because I have two CS's I use in mind for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++