Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

All valid pts.

Not sure about the leaving trail for a day or two to receive medical attention on a PCT thru being frowned upon. NP Rangers arent ignorant inflexible arse holes to those that don't act as ignorant scamming a holes. They know what's going on or can go on and they can detect a lying a hole better than many might mistakenly assume.

Yo! Dogwood!
    Redwoods grow on the coast in their own National Park.
    Giant Sequoias grow in Yosemite.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/sequoias.htm
    Yes I’m a Geographical Nit Picker.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yo! Dogwood!
    Redwoods grow on the coast in their own National Park.
    Giant Sequoias grow in Yosemite.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/sequoias.htm
    Yes I’m a Geographical Nit Picker.
    Wayne

You're not nitpicking. Currently, you are absolutely correct...if you adhere to the current botanical nomenclature. In the past, like about 70- 80 yrs ago both were in the same genus. Some, especially older botanical sources, still list the old nomenclature. Sequoiadendron was originally classified as a Sequoia species. THEN, at sometime in the late 30's Buchholz, I think a noted forester, divided into separate genera. Look it up. I'm sure you'd find it interesting. There's another species in the family thought to be extinct but was found growing in China - the Dawn Redwood. I've planted all three.

So. Are the big trees in Yosemite sequoias? Or is the park service too cheap to change the designation?
    If I’m wrong I apologize. I only have the internet for information. It’s always right or always wrong. 😄
    Wayne

The giant sequoias of YNP are Sequoiadendron giganteum. I think i spelled that correctly; If Im not mistaken the most voluminous living thing on Earth having huge diameters and circumferences. I measured one near Crane Flat at 26 ft in diam. General Sherman in Sequoia Kings Canyon NP is the known as the largest at 30 ft or so in diam and more than 100 ft in circumference at something like 275 ft tall.

Coastal redwoods, Sequoia sempervirens are the tallest living thing on the planet. So far the tallest recorded is nicknamed if im recalling correctly Hyperion. Its exact location is a closely held secret, wisely so. Redwoods have been known to soar to 360 ft.

Metasequoia glybtostroboides is dawn redwood the redwood thought to be extinct but was found growing in China. I believe all known dawn redwood was propagated from those found in China. Super fast growing tree. I've seen all three not all super giants though growing in one place under cultivation.

Standing in a grove of either leaves me speechless in awe. It's hard to describe as grand as the Grand Canyon is grand.

I like saying Metasequoia glyptostroboides.

All three are sometimes in error referred to as redwoods.

Thank you!
    Learning is good!
    I’ll bury some interesting news here.
    Thread drift:
    Heater Anderson announced via Instagram that she started a Calendar Year Triple Crown Attempt recently.
    Good luck Amish!
    Wayne

Correction:
    Good luck Anish!
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thank you!
    Learning is good!
    I’ll bury some interesting news here.
    Thread drift:
    Heater Anderson announced via Instagram that she started a Calendar Year Triple Crown Attempt recently.
    Good luck Amish!
    Wayne

Backcountry sequoia are the best sequoia. It's so peaceful to walk among the giants.

I find it a shame the vast majority of JMTers and PCTers aren't willing to explore just a bit off the beaten path to experience Giant Sequoias. It doesn't require a separate permit, scamming on a PCT 500 mile thru hiker permit, or much added time. All it takes is about 3 hrs RT from TM to the grove near Crane Flat. Y NP and SKC NP are so much more than just the JMT or PCT. *Quality of a hike is much more than the quantity of miles hiked.

Many people (let alone PCT Hikers) don't know that the Giant Sequoias only grow on the western side of the Sierra Nevada range while the PCT stays on the eastern side. And as you alluded, most PCT hikers don't have any interest in traveling much outside of the PCT corridor to see anything. If it involves bonus miles, then no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Many people (let alone PCT Hikers) don't know that the Giant Sequoias only grow on the western side of the Sierra Nevada range while the PCT stays on the eastern side. And as you alluded, most PCT hikers don't have any interest in traveling much outside of the PCT corridor to see anything. If it involves bonus miles, then no thanks.
    Ridiculous. BS.

What constiutes the PCT corridor? Is not that corridor routinely traveled out of to resupply or get to a hostel or motel?

Going into Mammoth lakes "downtown" from Reds Meadow, as suggested, via YARTS is a longer duration and length travel trip off the PCT compared to a YARTS trip from TM Country Store to Crane Flats Gas Station about 1 mile from the Merced Grove of about 2 dozen Giant Sequoias.Heck the TM Country Store area is commandered by PCTers during NOBO timeframes. Just step on the damn bus that stops here. Get off at Crane Flat Gas Station. Walk to the grove from there. If able to stop the driver will get you closer.

Considering the distance and time it takes to go into Ashland or get back to the US or a main road from Canada or the northern terminus is a greater hassle.

If PCTers are routinely willing to take these other trips outside of the corridor there is no valid reason for taking in the Giant Sequoias very nearby at TM. They have to be willing though.

Quality of a hike is greater than the quantity of miles of a hike.

Images

Back to the shower question, there are some fantastic swim holes in Lyell Creek, especially as you get closer to Tuolumne Meadows, if you would like an invigorating dip.

I do not recall any showers at the Tuolumne Campground, although they do have flush toilets. The store is a good place for snacks and cold drinks and a few hikers supplies. I sent a resupply box there, although the PO offers spotty service to hikers (PO worker made me wait an hour to give me my box even though he was open for business and I could acutely see the box right behind him sitting on a self).
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

If PCTers are routinely willing to take these other trips outside of the corridor there is no valid reason for taking in the Giant Sequoias very nearby at TM. They have to be willing though.
    They can't buy beer and pot at the sequoia grove, so what's the point?

From a permit perspective, there is nothing stopping a PCTA thru or section hike permit holder from visiting other parts of Yosemite and doing as many day hikes as they please. Many even day hike to Yosemite Valley from Tuolumne. The catch on that is the rule Yosemite rangers have against possessing overnight gear without a valid permit in the backcountry and the PCTA permit is not good for camping outside the pct corridor. So some people try to get a permit at Tuolumne to hike to Yosemite valley and potentially camp en route or they stash gear in the Tuolumne bear boxes for a day and day hike. If you leave Tuolumne early in the morning, most thru hikers can easily reach Yosemite valley in time to take YARTS back up to Tuolumne. I think that it's crazy for a PCTer who has never been to Yosemite valley to miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I find it a shame the vast majority of JMTers and PCTers aren't willing to explore just a bit off the beaten path to experience Giant Sequoias. It doesn't require a separate permit, scamming on a PCT 500 mile thru hiker permit, or much added time. All it takes is about 3 hrs RT from TM to the grove near Crane Flat. Y NP and SKC NP are so much more than just the JMT or PCT. *Quality of a hike is much more than the quantity of miles hiked.
    The Giant Sequoia Groves don’t have pizza, beer and electric outlets.
    Hopefully they’ll stay that way.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    They can't buy beer and pot at the sequoia grove, so what's the point?
    Wait. Cant buy weed at TM Country Store either. You can buy alcohol here as well as at Crane Flat Gas Station and in the YV Grocery Store. The YV Grocery Store has a very good backpacking food selection as well as surprisingly good alchy offerings.

That was not aimed at you Miner.
    It was aimed at that ridiculous mistaken belief that Giant Sequoia were too far from the PCT to experience.

See where a confusion can arise on the tree names Venchka?

The coastal redwood botanical nomenclature genus is Sequoia and the common name given to the Sequoiadendron genus is Giant Sequoia. One could easily get common and botanical names confused. That's why botanists, horticulturalists, Landscape Architects/Designers, and nursery men when associating professionally prefer using botanical nomenclature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++