WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Its really not the schedule so much that I'm planning, but the resupply locations.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Also, I’ll bet you 20 dollars your schedule falls apart within a week.

Why have you planned your miles out, if you don’t mind me asking?

I have Fontana templated out for day 17. I worked this out from Mapman's data when I didn't know anything about time and distance on the trail. Like Kulliman I did it to forecast where medical maildrops could be sent. While I agree that no plan survives contact with the trail (sorry, von Moltke), planning may make options and alternatives apparent.

I'm mailing my mail drop to the front desk, I've called to confirm that they will accept non guest maildrops (for a $5 charge).

I intend to stay at the Lodge, I may try to stack the 15% military discount on the thru hiker rate. Plus all of the good reasons (hot showers, etc) listed above.

As a hydraulic engineer I'm going to visit the visitor center and try to get a 50 cent tour of the dam from our TVA friends.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I've stayed at the lodge, the cabins, and the campground. All not worth the money paid. IF you MUST have civilization then, by all means, partake. There is a shower at the top of the dam, near the gift shop. Me, I would get my package, grab a shower at the dam, and get back on the trail.

I almost stealth camped at the parking lot of the marina but at the last minute we caught a hitch to the resort and just got a room. The hiker rate was 30 bucks more than what AWOL had claimed. But we were desperate and paid it.

I didn’t regret it; it was expensive but I soaked it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Honestly, id make a reservation at the hike inn. If they are still doing their hiker package since Jeff passed away.

Pickup, laundry, trip to robbinsville for dinner and ressuply. Return to fontana next morning. Mail resupply to them if like.

Two hikers sharing room $50 each. $75 solo.

We paid 65 bucks to stay at the lodge,and after 3 days of rain it was well worth it.Very nice rooms compared to most of the other places we stopped,and the breakfast buffet was awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    If it takes him a month to get to Fontana he's probably been partying way too much already.
    Oh, quit yer braggin'!

It took me a month and half the kids I started with barely beat me there by a week. A few were still there. We're not all 20 miler athletes. Most folks are barely averaging 8 miles a day early on, and also take a zero at Neels, Hiawasee, Franklin, and the NOC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++