WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Best Dog Breeds

I have an Original Mountain Cur that weighs around 35-40 pounds. They were actually bred as mountain dogs and for hunting. I would not hesitate at all taking her on hikes.

I have had 2 Treeing Walker Hounds that were great in the backcountry. With the proper training they make good companions. No off trail, no hunting etc.. They carry a pack well when properly fitted and are not over weight for their size. I now have a Bluetick. She is super ! At 47 pounds and is full of energy. We always tent. No shelters!!
    Hounds are gentle. They are very smart, good hearing and a super nose! They can alert you to any person, creature or anything else on the trail. Sometimes standing completely still, barely breathing, nose in the air, looking in the direction of the smell or flash of movement.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Will 5 y.o. beagle will make it? I know these dogs are good for hunting and he's medium size, so I don't see any reasons not to take him with me. But maybe I'm wrong?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by J_Ver View Post
    Will 5 y.o. beagle will make it? I know these dogs are good for hunting and he's medium size, so I don't see any reasons not to take him with me. But maybe I'm wrong?
    Well, unless he's a service dog, you can't take him through GSMNP nor into Baxter State park in ME. You'll have to board him and shuttle him around. Beagles and other hunting dogs tend to follow their nose and chase game. Unless he has been "trail trained" you're probably going to have some issues. And on over half the trail he has to be on a leash and there are places on the trail you'll have to carry him. Then there's the getting rides and hostels and motel rooms issues with a dog. And so on. There are lots of reasons not to take a dog on a long hike - the dog's health being the primary one (heat, overexertion, dehydration, paw pads, illness, etc). Remember, it's you who wants to thru-hike. Your dog just wants your attention and love. I'm not a dog hater - I have two - a Chocolate Lab and a Sheltie. And I used to have a Beagle. But I wouldn't take either of the current ones on a long hike. And the Beagle was a definite no due to the hunting instinct.

EDIT: Wanted to add: If your dog isn't capable of ABSOLUTE OBEDIENCE to voice commands in outdoor settings, I would say no. That means if he/she is off leash and won't sit and stay regardless of the degree of distraction - other dogs, squirrels and other small animals, SNAKES, people, cars, etc, then no, don't take him/her.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-15-2020 at 16:17.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++