My best mode of transportation is either to take the Amtrak train from Boston to Gainesville with a switch in New York. It's a long ride but I would be getting into Gainesville at 0630.

My other option is an early morning flight from Logan to ATL. I can get their at either 0930 am or 1230.

The train ride is $180

The flight is $100 including one checked bag.

Which would you rather endure and why?

Let's say I got to ATL at 1230. MARTA to Sandy Springs. Is it better to spent the night somewhere or is it reasonable to get on the trail that same day?

I would need to grab some fuel or go without for a few days.

With the hiker hostel not being what it once was, are there still affordable alternatives? And for those about to say if you can't afford to stay there then your prob not ready for a thru hike. I can. But that doesn't mean it's not pricey.

If I got into Gainesville after a probably exhausting 22 hour train ride, I could probably just hitch or shuttle from there for a nominal fee.

I don't have my AWOLS yet so haven't been able to look into shuttles from there.

Given those two options. What would you do and why?

I don't mind trains, and it could actually be less expensive in the end.

Flying is definitely the fast track to GA. But if I need to spend a night somewhere. I could just spend it sitting on a train. With all my gear.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk