WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I spent nearly 24 hours on a train from Chicago to New Orleans in December (several hours late) and thankfully I had a sleeper car. It would have been misery without it. I think that it is worth taking a long distance Amtrak train just to have the experience while we still have long distance trains (they lose boatloads of money) but I wouldn't use one if I was on a schedule. As things stood, I barely got home before 9pm on Christmas Eve ... several hours later than I expected to.

For short hauls, Amtrak works better. I've used Amtrak to get from San Francisco/Oakland to Yosemite. I'd do that for hiking, but not a 24 hour trip.
    It all depends.

Since the early 80s i've been 1000/2000 mile plus trips via Greyhound about 20 times or so. Took Amtrak twice on shorter stints from VA to NYC and it was a world of difference. The 20 hour trip i got to Gainesville will be paradise in comparison.

Don't sell the train short.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Images

We did the train to Vermont for the Long Trail from Union Station in DC. Got off in Massachusetts, got a ride to the southern terminus of the LT, walked to Canada, got a ride to St Albans, got on the train and came home. Easy. I will say that on a long train ride the last few hours can get a little uncomfortable. For anything overnight I think I'd go for the sleeper room just for the privacy and comfort, though they can get expensive.

Hope your flight is easy, it sounds like a great deal and very convenient. Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    It all depends.

Since the early 80s i've been 1000/2000 mile plus trips via Greyhound about 20 times or so. Took Amtrak twice on shorter stints from VA to NYC and it was a world of difference. The 20 hour trip i got to Gainesville will be paradise in comparison.

Don't sell the train short.
    Oh no doubt the train is better than the bus. I've only taken greyhound for shorter trips and it's sometimes been ... Interesting. The train is more predictable than the bus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++