WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Personally, I refuse to fly any more. (unless I really have too). It's such a damn hassle these days. But it does get you there in a few hours, mostly refreshed. I don't get much sleep on the train, so I'm pretty groggy when I arrive someplace.

I'm leaving Gorham, NH in the middle of April and going to Florida to visit my Dad for his birthday(he'll be 95!) before I head out to go hiking. Since I don't fly, I first need to take the bus from Gorham to Boston. The bus leaves Gorham about 8 AM, arrives Boston at noon. I will then wait until 11PM and take a MEGA bus to Washington DC which arrives at 10AM. I will then wait until 3PM to get the train to Tampa. Which reminds me, I need to buy my tickets soon.

The reason for this crazy scheme is the train to Florida (or GA) leaves Boston at 6AM. The only way I can catch the 6AM train is to spend the night in Boston. Even the earliest bus from Concord (5 AM) doesn't get to Boston in time to catch the train. (it would be cheaper to spend the night in Concord then Boston).

The cheapest place to spend the night in Boston is the Youth Hostel (about a 15 minute walk to the train station) which runs about $80 a night. A hotel would cost at least twice that. Spending the night in the bus or train station is not an good option. Sleeping outside in the bushes with the homeless isn't a good option in Boston in April, but I once found a nice spot under the highway on ramp not far from the train station. But that was summer time.

By taking the Bus to DC first, I can spend the day in Boston, get some sleep on the bus overnight (I actually sleep better on the bus then on the train), then get to spend some time in DC. I think I will invest in one of those U shaped neck pillows and a travel blanket for this trip. If it lets me get some better sleep, it will be worth the $10. I'll abandon them on the train when I get back to DC to start my hike at Harpers Ferry.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Amtrak is cool because you can move about / sit almost anywhere on the train and some areas have nice scenery. You also have electric hookup and wifi so you can watch youtube and message people. You will need to eat so pack your own food to save $. The train provides free HOT water in the dining car (usually).

The fact that i'm not stuck behind or in front of the coughers, farters, and screaming kids for hours is worth it to me.

If you decide train I'd bring my iso can or alchy fuel, pocket knife, and trekking poles still being discrete and considering safely doing it.
    It's not like going through TSA at APs. I assume youre not a terrorist, on a watch list, mentally stable, or carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Personally, I refuse to fly any more. (unless I really have too). It's such a damn hassle these days. But it does get you there in a few hours, mostly refreshed. I don't get much sleep on the train, so I'm pretty groggy when I arrive someplace.

I'm leaving Gorham, NH in the middle of April and going to Florida to visit my Dad for his birthday(he'll be 95!) before I head out to go hiking. Since I don't fly, I first need to take the bus from Gorham to Boston. The bus leaves Gorham about 8 AM, arrives Boston at noon. I will then wait until 11PM and take a MEGA bus to Washington DC which arrives at 10AM. I will then wait until 3PM to get the train to Tampa. Which reminds me, I need to buy my tickets soon.

The reason for this crazy scheme is the train to Florida (or GA) leaves Boston at 6AM. The only way I can catch the 6AM train is to spend the night in Boston. Even the earliest bus from Concord (5 AM) doesn't get to Boston in time to catch the train. (it would be cheaper to spend the night in Concord then Boston).

The cheapest place to spend the night in Boston is the Youth Hostel (about a 15 minute walk to the train station) which runs about $80 a night. A hotel would cost at least twice that. Spending the night in the bus or train station is not an good option. Sleeping outside in the bushes with the homeless isn't a good option in Boston in April, but I once found a nice spot under the highway on ramp not far from the train station. But that was summer time.

By taking the Bus to DC first, I can spend the day in Boston, get some sleep on the bus overnight (I actually sleep better on the bus then on the train), then get to spend some time in DC. I think I will invest in one of those U shaped neck pillows and a travel blanket for this trip. If it lets me get some better sleep, it will be worth the $10. I'll abandon them on the train when I get back to DC to start my hike at Harpers Ferry.
    Youth hostle $80. Wow

Have you looked into taking the T from Lowell? Goes right to north station.

Not sure the earliest or latest rides anymore but they do run late/early. I use to take it all the time around midnight

Might work for you. Pretty sure there is a bus from Concord to Lowell.

Thanks for your insight

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I personally would fly and catch a shuttle from either the airport or the MARTA North Springfield Station. A few of the shuttle drivers will stop for fuel and/or food. The $80.00 saved by flying can be put towards the shuttle cost. Who knows, you may be able to hook up with a few other hikers and save some cash. You can have the same shuttle driver take you to the trail 1 mile south of Springer Terminus. Walk south for 1 mile and you can set up camp and get a good night's sleep. If your plans called for doing the Approach Trail, you would need to hike 8.8 miles with an elevation change of 1982 feet including 604 steps. If you can gut that you may be able to find some good equipment, as people start dumping stuff all along the trail. YMMV HYOH
    Lol I'm not worried about hiking the approach trail. I've read the comical threads about it too.

I think I'm kind of set on flying at the moment, there are just not too too many flights that have good times.

Boston to ATL is non stop. But I also have a decent ways to get to Boston. 2 hours. I'm considering the more relaxed version and going out of Manchester, NH. Which is an hour from me. Everything out of Manchester is not non stop though. 1 or 2 connecting flights.

Gonna be a long day either way. I suppose I'm used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Youth hostle $80. Wow
    +100 Steepest youth hostel one day cost I've ever heard quoted unless it's a private room. I've stayed at a good #.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    +100 Steepest youth hostel one day cost I've ever heard quoted unless it's a private room. I've stayed at a good #.
    I've walked by that hostel in Boston a few times. From the outside it's not what I think of when I think hostel. It's modern looks like a hotel

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I've walked by that hostel in Boston a few times. From the outside it's not what I think of when I think hostel. It's modern looks like a hotel

It is much like a hotel. $80 is pretty cheap considering it's down town Boston in the theater district and not far from all the landmarks. But it's still a hostel.

As far as I know, there is no way to get to Lowell from Concord. I used to ride the train from Lowell to work in Cambridge for a few years. I used to have a friend who lived on a boat in Constitution marina and could crash there while coming and going from Boston. That was nice while it lasted.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

im taking the 6 am flight from boston on 4-10 landing at 9:30 shuttle from airport to amicalola and im gone baby.
    contact erik jarvi from the atc shuttle list. he quoted me a fair price.

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

Sorry if you go to Gainesville you do not have to go to North Springs. Not what I meant. Only if you fly into the ATL airport.

Gainesville is even farther north, but the Amtrak goes to it.

Cool, thanks for straightening me out!

Quote Originally Posted by dbfl87 View Post
    Amtrak is cool because you can move about / sit almost anywhere on the train and some areas have nice scenery. You also have electric hookup and wifi so you can watch youtube and message people. You will need to eat so pack your own food to save $. The train provides free HOT water in the dining car (usually).

The fact that i'm not stuck behind or in front of the coughers, farters, and screaming kids for hours is worth it to me.
    Valid pts, I can enjoy a train ride too, but 57 hrs on a train like Colorado Rob spoke about that's going to test my patience knowing I could have taken a 3-4 hr flight.

Easy choice for me, I'd fly for sure. I live about 7 hours drive from Harpers but I'm flying to DCA, taking subway and then Amtrak from Union Station because it's cheaper and less of a logistics burden for whomever (parents) who might be willing to drive me to HF. Total cost will be $100 including a couple meals for me. It's about 14 hours RT driving, food and gas in a day or a hotel bill added to that and more food costs to break it up into two days driving. If my buddy meets me for the SOBO part, then driving to HF might be economical with 2 people splitting the expenses as opposed to just me.

For 80 bucks or less you can probably get yourself a decent Air BnB room near the airport or save a few bucks and look to couch surf somewhere. Also if considering the train look to hook up with a few folks and split a sleeper car also if anyone is a Vet I think you can get like a %15 discount on the train.

Personally I would consider finding a few mates, fly out of Bos direct to Atl. Once at Atl pitch in with a few folks for shuttle, bus or Uber in the direction of Springer stop at a cheapest hotel for the night between Atl and Springer then the next day after your rested and have provisions get a shuttle/bus or Uber the rest of the way to Spinger

If you fly into Atlanta, you can take the Marta train to the Sandy Springs Marta station and there is an REI in under a half mile. It is about 1.5 miles from the North Springs Marta station. GA 400 north, the highway that takes you towards Amicalola has a local outfitter called Outdoor World and a Walmart both in Dawsonville. There is a motel in Dawsonville called Village Inn which has a fairly good reputation.

If you take the train into Gainesville, there is a Walmart and a Dick's Sporting Goods and an Academy Sports as well as Kroger and Publix grocery stores on the way to Amicalola.

The shuttlers are always good sources of info about how to get those 5 more things you need to pick up.

Just scored a $130 flight from Manchester NH to Atlanta on April 4th. 0600-0930. Nonstop. Delta economy

Doesn't get any better than that.

My coworker will give me a lift to the airport that am for the low cost of a Dunkin donuts breakfast lol

I'll MARTA and shuttle to the AT once in GA.

Yeah, but who and what is inside? lots of cute European and S. American lonely away from their bf's women? clean kitchen, bed, and bathroom privledges?

It is much like a hotel. $80 is pretty cheap considering it's down town Boston in the theater district and not far from all the landmarks. But it's still a hostel. ..
    I've stayed at many down town big city hostels close to all manner of experiences.ie; Manhattan, Chicago, San Diego, LA, Houston, Portland OR and ME, Minneapolis, Miami, Washington DC, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, etc They didn't cost $80 a night unless it was a private room or cabin.

Just scored a $130 flight from Manchester NH to Atlanta on April 4th. 0600-0930. Nonstop. Delta economy

Doesn't get any better than that.

My coworker will give me a lift to the airport that am for the low cost of a Dunkin donuts breakfast lol

I'll MARTA and shuttle to the AT once in GA.

What about TSA no no's? How about mailing that stuff ahead to the shuttler? It would be more convenient going through TSA check pts and traveling with a lighter less bulkier load. I know some trail shuttle folks do that for hikers on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What about TSA no no's? How about mailing that stuff ahead to the shuttler? It would be more convenient going through TSA check pts and traveling with a lighter less bulkier load. I know some trail shuttle folks do that for hikers on the AT.
    I've been on about a dozen planes in my life. Never have I ever checked a bag so this will be a first.

Was planning on carrying on my quilt and duplex. Was gonna check the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    If you fly into Atlanta, you can take the Marta train to the Sandy Springs Marta station and there is an REI in under a half mile. It is about 1.5 miles from the North Springs Marta station. GA 400 north, the highway that takes you towards Amicalola has a local outfitter called Outdoor World and a Walmart both in Dawsonville. There is a motel in Dawsonville called Village Inn which has a fairly good reputation.

If you take the train into Gainesville, there is a Walmart and a Dick's Sporting Goods and an Academy Sports as well as Kroger and Publix grocery stores on the way to Amicalola.

The shuttlers are always good sources of info about how to get those 5 more things you need to pick up.
    That Sandy Springs REI is like 1/2 a block from the Sandy Springs MARTA Station. You can get fuel and be back on the MARTA train to one stop north to N Springs in about 30 mins; I've done this more times than I can recall. That REI I think also offers a shuttle to the AT. Call them. I've never used their shuttle service though. It may be pricey but less so if you arrange for a group rate.

https://georgia-atclub.org/hike-the-...uttles-parking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++