WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Staying Keto on the Trail

I'm looking for advice from fellow hikers who keep keto on long term hikes.

I will be starting out the trip with a supply of things like pemmican, cashew whip, and dry ingredients for soups - all things that can be stored and/or cooked in a mylar bag. I'm also hoping to have RV support from my grandfather at certain points along the trail so I can resupply myself with such items that require prep ahead of time, though a lot of them can be made on the trail or prepped during pit stops in town.

So my questions for those that do/have done keto on the trails:

What kind of foods do you recommend carrying on the trail?
    How do you supplement your fat intake?
    Any general suggestions/experiences with keeping keto are welcome!

Carry ghee. Add it to everything that you eat.
    Wayne

It's not the lightest, but I've read that those "mediterranean" salad bars in grocery stores are a good place to go - tons of olive oil, oil-soaked olives, mozarella balls, etc. I know of one hiker who took that and made a kind of tuna salad out of it, carried it in ziplocks.

Actually I'm low to moderate carb throughout the year. While hiking I love, love, love, eating sugar foods. Its fast energy. Makes me feel great. As long as your not grossly over consuming, how can there be a wasted calorie hiking. In my opinion, with the exception of type 1 diabetes, I say go for the sugar throughout the day. I think of breakfast and dinner as the nutrient laden meals. Throughout the day I consume mostly sugar foods with supplements (BCAA's and occasionally with other minerals).
    Do a search on this site for posts by Malto, he has very interesting info on this subject.

Is avocado allowed? They are high gat and calorie.

Journal Entries

The amount of energy one uses on the AT thru will keep one testing positive for ketones pretty easy with a moderately low carb diet, no need for the extreme low carb that is required off trail. It's even possible to eat a regular diet and achieve a state of ketosis. As such you have a lot more leeway. As for foods cold cuts & cheese do go along way to that. I've even brought eggs to cook on trail. Nuts, jerky for snacks.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Yes, avacado is definitely allowed. Last time out, the guy I was with carried at least 1-3 with him.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Precooked bacon bits. Add to Mac&Cheese, Knorr Sides, instant mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc.
    I thought that “keeping keto” might be related to the “keeping cute” thread. Who invented this new language? Where did this Keto diet thing come from? Why? Enquiring Geezers want to know.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Google avocado chips. Apparently they can be dehydrated.
    Wayne

I did a week long trip in the smokies after giving up carbs for lent last year and carried a jar of peanut butter, nuts, low carb tortillas, cheese, jerky bites, and coconut oil. I had no trouble staying in ketosis. I did, however, have trouble staying with keto after 2 months of it. More power to yall.. I need carbs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The amount of energy one uses on the AT thru will keep one testing positive for ketones pretty easy with a moderately low carb diet, no need for the extreme low carb that is required off trail. It's even possible to eat a regular diet and achieve a state of ketosis. As such you have a lot more leeway. Nuts, jerky for snacks.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Paleo diet is great, worked for thousands of years. I wouldn’t start Keto on the trail, Keto flu and all, but keeping Keto shouldn’t be too hard with all that excercise, probably could go up to 100-150 grams carb and maintain. Much lower inflammatory response with this diet as opposed to standard hiker poorer quality cheap foods. Carry some urine Keto sticks if you want to spot check. Freeze dried avocado. yummmmmmm. Best of luck to you and give us feedback on how you did, energy levels, etc...

What's keto flu?

When you first go into ketosis many people feel sick.

Also known as the 'carb flu,' the keto flu is a natural reaction (almost like a feeling of withdrawal) your body undergoes when switching from burning glucose (sugar) as energy to burning fat instead. In fact, some people say the keto flu symptoms can actually feel similar to withdrawing from an addictive substance.

The keto diet was originally designed for severe epelitics.

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain-function. However, if there is little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.[1] Almost half of children, and young people, with epilepsy who have tried some form of this diet saw the number of seizures drop by at least half, and the effect persists even after discontinuing the diet.[2] There is some evidence that adults with epilepsy may benefit from the diet, and that a less strict regimen, such as a modified Atkins diet, is similarly effective.[1] The most common adverse effect is constipation, affecting about 30% of patients—this was due to fluid restriction, which was once a feature of the diet, but this led to increased risk of kidney stones and is no longer considered beneficial.[2][3]

I'm not keto but I've thought about it and researched it.

A friend of mine has epelipsy and is on a keto diet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sardines in oil?

I probably ate over 100 cans on the AT — and not one since.

Makes me gag to think about them now, but they were appreciated at the time.

If otherwise good for Keto and to your taste, I would not fear the can too much — even if it is some will look down their noses at the sight of one. It’s not like you would be lugging around Vienna Sausages .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.ke.../keto-flu/amp/

If this is accurate almost all the ways they say to avoid keto flu I already do normally without ever having known they can help to avoid it. Since I've never experienced "keto flu" didn't know such a phrase existed.

TU Grace for sharing the research. WB in reverse is BW, short for Book Worm.

Default Staying Keto on the Trail

Pardon my ignorance. Is this a rebranded Atkins diet?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. Is this a rebranded Atkins diet?
    It depends on who you ask. Everyone wants to make diet distinctions and promoting one diet regimen over another. Lots of money in promoting differtent diets! My goodness browse the diet book or diet mag section at Barnes&Noble. Ask a pro or long term Atkins Diet person and theyll say Keto Diet has the same basic premises - a low carb diet. In effect, I agree even though I don't adhere or generally promote either diet.They are both versions of a low carb diet.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++