WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Also, to OP, if keto is working for you, Great! If not... not so hard to add in healthy high carb dehydrated fruits, nuts, whole grains, which aren’t trash food. Good to see someone thinking about their food as fuel and nutrition, rather then just calories per ounce, regardless of food value.

There is more than only one right way to eat.

This agrees with what I've been saying like forever.

Also, to OP, if keto is working for you, Great! If not... not so hard to add in healthy high carb dehydrated fruits, nuts, whole grains, which aren’t trash food. Good to see someone thinking about their food as fuel and nutrition, rather then just calories per ounce, regardless of food value.

There is more than only one right way to eat.

This agrees with what I've been saying like forever.

Cool

OK, here's the deal:
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The quote from the article found by following the FAT link:
    “ For Long Distance hikers:
    Half the fat that you burn is from storage, half is supplied by the food you eat. To minimize pack weight, choose a higher fat menu. A 50-35-15 Diet on the trail is reasonable:

45-55% Calories from carbohydrate
    35-40% Calories from fat
    10-15% Calories from protein”
    Filed for future use.
    Thanks!
    Wayne
    http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

As for the WARNING above about "keeping keto" and dehydration: Just what the novice =needs when leaving Campo NOBO on the PCT.
    Nobody has yet to tell us what planet "keeping cute", "keeping keto" and "I am wanting to ..." originated on. This language was not taught in the Honors English classes that I attended in Southwest Louisiana.
    PS: Don't even think about it.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Ever try a whole pint in a platypus bladder? I've seen it done, but always worried that it would pop.
    Never tried that, I do smaller section hikes. If I did I would put the oil filled platty in a ziplock for added protection. They are a great light weight bang for the buck!

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Never tried that, I do smaller section hikes. If I did I would put the oil filled platty in a ziplock for added protection. They are a great light weight bang for the buck!
    One brand I found was 16oz plastic bottles, so I packed that one time. I think it was a store brand though, I didn't always find it. I still ziplocked it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    Have you actually made freeze dried avocado? What was the texture like? I love avocados, but they are so delicate I would have never thought of taking them on the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i have made freeze dried avocado. I bought a harvest right freeze dryer last year, couldn’t recommend it because of problems with the vacum pump. Now they have a new vacum pump which is much more expensive, but much less hassle.

Got fresh avocados for. 4/ $1. Got about fourty of them! Let them ripen to peak creamy richness, cut them up and freeze dried them. they are crisp, yet creamy, hard to describe. Very yummy snack out of the jar, or mix with wet tomatoes, let rehydrate and add to salad. They are very good. Surprised they are not massed produced for general sale yet- sure they would sell.
    Keto type diet not for everyone, but I have tried to follow a paleo diet as described in book “PrimalBody primal Mind for about 1 year with great improvement in health, mental clarity and improved blood Chemistry markers. It is worth a look see if you have medical issues and woUld like to consider a dietary approach to health. Diet is very personal, much like religion, this works for me, not trying to shove it down anyone else’s throat. I find it to be a sustainable and animal humane eating plan. Lots of green veggies, moderate pastured animal protein, moderate amounts of high quality fat. Miss my French fries, but I don’t feel sick after I eat anymore.. works for me!

Isn't that ironic, a southwestern Louisiana man complaining about the language of others? I don't know what folks are saying from that region half the time. In all fairness they probably say the same about me.

Got fresh avocados for. 4/ $1. Got about fourty of them! Let them ripen to peak creamy richness, cut them up and freeze dried them. they are crisp, yet creamy, hard to describe. Very yummy snack out of the jar, or mix with wet tomatoes, let rehydrate and add to salad. They are very good. Surprised they are not massed produced for general sale yet- sure they would sell

Hass? Water content of Hass avos is low, even less than the commonly seen in the US Cavendish banana. I would imagine a rather dry texture if freeze dried. I had some only once, only crumbled small pieces from a Vegan hiker. Thought some of the flavor had been extracted.

There are many other avo types other than the FL and Haas that for whatever reasons never make it to the US mainland, with a higher water content, different flavor, different texture, color, seed size, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Isn't that ironic, a southwestern Louisiana man complaining about the language of others? I don't know what folks are saying from that region half the time. In all fairness they probably say the same about me.
    LOL! I sometimes can’t understand my little brother who grew up in Lafayette.
    I’m blaming the disappearance of the English language on computers. In the hands of youngsters.
    Wayne

So, I beg to ask. Are the diet changes the sole cause , the only changes, you've made that can be correlated with the better numbers and med condition. What I'm asking is have there been any other changes in your life that isn't ket related that could also explain the improvements.

Lastly, if keto is resonsible for these improvements I assume to make them long term realized keto is not perceived as a temporary dietary change? So, is your life
    Or at least what you consume, going to revolve around keto? Can you FT transition to and long term sustain a keto diet? If not you could be setting yourself up to regress to your former condition.

I hear this so often including from loved family and friends. Look what I've achieved on so and so a diet. But, they can't usually sustain such drastic dietary nor lifestyle changes. And, I point out maybe the improvements shouldnt be perceived entirely as a result of the diet because at the same period you started yoga, meditation, running, consistently hitting the gym, you are getting massages twice a wk, you're now riding a bike more, you went Organic, no longer have tap water as your drinking water source, you reduced or are no longer on prescription meds or taking OTC drugs, etc. All these changes can have positive effects in themselves that possibly can explain all or part of the improvement.

It's like when we see the fitness actor athlete marketer promoting a new get rockhard abs equipment as he or she are showing off their 6 or 8 packs. It's likely they didn't achieve those abs simply by buying and utilizing that piece of fitness equip they are marketing.
    Frankly, except for walking, I am exercising less since starting keto. Not by design, but my gym closed and I haven’t found a replacement. No other changes.

I feel so much better on keto, it is great incentive to continue. I dont find it difficult to maintain, even when eating out, because there are so many other choices. (Well maybe not if eating at a Mexican restaurant.)

I do intend this to be a life time change, mainly because I know of no other way to keep my insulin resistance and impaired glucose tolerance under control on a long term basis. I don’t think though that my life does or will “revolve around keto.” It is more that I make different food choices than I used to.

At 64 pounds lost, I am now actively trying not to lose anymore weight. This simply means eating more non-starchy carbs. For the first time in my adult life I feel like I have a real chance of keeping my weight down. It sure makes hiking easier!

Another small point concerning ketosis which you probably already know, but just in case. You will become dehydrated more easily while in ketosis, be careful to monitor you skin turger and feeling of headache which will worsen if dehydrated. You may need more salt than most. A fat pinch of sea salt to your water bottle will help. Probably won’t be an issue if you have been following diet and excercise pattern for awhile, may happen with new hikers.
    I DO find I need more salt, and magnesium, on keto.

64 lbs?

Keep it off. Make long term lifestyle changes. Change is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    ....... I don’t think though that my life does or will “revolve around keto.” It is more that I make different food choices than I used to. At 64 pounds lost, I am now actively trying not to lose anymore weight. This simply means eating more non-starchy carbs. For the first time in my adult life I feel like I have a real chance of keeping my weight down. It sure makes hiking easier!.............
    Many people would love to lose the weight that you have been able to lose and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. It is not easy to change your eating habits. I am sure you feel better and see a new you whenever you look in the mirror. I hope that you keep the weight off over the next few years as it is easy to forgot about those different food choices and fall back into bad habits. Now that you know what habits are healthy for you and what wasn't it will be easy to know if you are getting off track.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Many people would love to lose the weight that you have been able to lose and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. It is not easy to change your eating habits. I am sure you feel better and see a new you whenever you look in the mirror. I hope that you keep the weight off over the next few years as it is easy to forgot about those different food choices and fall back into bad habits. Now that you know what habits are healthy for you and what wasn't it will be easy to know if you are getting off track.
    Thank you so much for the encouraging words! It has been a real learning experience, both about myself and what I eat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

64 lbs?

Keep it off. Make long term lifestyle changes. Change is good!
    Thanks so much! I am determined for this to be a positive lifestyle change.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I live keto—low-carbohydrate, high-fat, and moderate protein.
    I consider it a lifestyle, not a diet.
    I went keto to lose weight and send type II diabetes in to remission.

It's worked very well for me.
    I've never had a problem with 'keto flu,' serious constipation, or any other negatives.
    I lost over 100 lbs., was able to go off diabetes medications and my a1c now runs ~5.0.
    I want to keep my blood insulin and blood sugar levels low/steady at all times so 'carbing-up' isn't an option.

Other than increasing protein, carbohydrates, and fats a little bit (while mainating about the same ratio)—oh, and going stoveless, I eat about the same on trail as I do off.

I recommend studying the nutrient density and energy density of the keto foods that you like.
    Then compare the nutrient density and energy density to cost, weight, etc. to determine what foods will serve you most efficiently.

Some high fat, high energy foods I favor: Raw coconut oil, grass-fed beef tallow, EVOO, ghee from grass-fed cows, avocado oil, to name a few.

Wild tuna and salmon in pouches are good sources of protein and natural fats.
    Sardines, kippers and anchovies packed in olive oil are good options.

Nut and seed butters are good sources of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.

Jerky, bitlong, pre-cooked bacon, summer sausage, landjäger, kabanosy and the like are great, trail-friendly, keto options.

Hard cheeses are good.

Some good carbohydrate, vitamin, and mineral options are dried blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, rose hips, kelp, sun-dried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, and the like. In moderation, of course.

There are hundreds of nutritious, high-energy, keto-friendly, trail-friendly foods.

Camptastrophy, you and I are on the same page with the ancestral diet success. Wish I had started in my teens. Unfortunately, most see this as a “fad” diet, not the sustainable, most normal human nutrition we have found it to be. It’s hard to fight AHA and diabetic diets, so much money misplaced in health care and by our own government protecting agriculture. Montesano has much to answer for. All I can say to naysayers is do your homework- the facts are the facts! My body weight is normal now after years of hungry low fat dieting, prescribed by my doctors. I have perfect blood chemistries now, after years of struggle with lipedemia. My friends see me snacking on coconut butter cookies and cold steak, think I am insane! But the proof is in the pudding- I’m at my healthiest in years, no cravings, 1 remaining med, perfect labs. HYOH, eat your own diet, keto on the trail, hell yeah!

Over 100 lbs? Thats like the wt of a horse foal. I tip my hat. Way to go.

Camptastrophy, you and I are on the same page with the ancestral diet success. Wish I had started in my teens. Unfortunately, most see this as a “fad” diet, not the sustainable, most normal human nutrition we have found it to be. It’s hard to fight AHA and diabetic diets, so much money misplaced in health care and by our own government protecting agriculture. Montesano has much to answer for. All I can say to naysayers is do your homework- the facts are the facts! My body weight is normal now after years of hungry low fat dieting, prescribed by my doctors. I have perfect blood chemistries now, after years of struggle with lipedemia. My friends see me snacking on coconut butter cookies and cold steak, think I am insane! But the proof is in the pudding- I’m at my healthiest in years, no cravings, 1 remaining med, perfect labs. HYOH, eat your own diet, keto on the trail, hell yeah!
    Yeah, I agree!

Thank you very much!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++