WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

A good snack that my wife and I rely on both for gym days and hiking days are called “fat bombs”. Usually coconut oil with nuts/dried fruits/nut butters mixed in, and maybe some flax/hemp/chia for added fiber. We’ve also added 75%+ chocolate to them before, think bakers chocolate, to add a little boost of quick energy as well as flavor and texture. We keep them individually wrapped in plastic or parchment and deep freeze them before we hike. They thaw slow and can taste pretty good if you make them right.

TJ's roasted coconut chips. https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-R...SIN=B00B13UFRI

Normally( currently) saturated fat is highly frowned upon but perhaps since you're likely expending 4000+ cals/dy backpacking and on a keto diet a little more leeway to saturated fat can be given on trail.

Low sugar low/low/non gluten coconut macaroons. Earthfare has really great chocolate ones but probably a little too sweet for your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Carry ghee. Add it to everything that you eat.
    Wayne
    Google avocado chips. Apparently they can be dehydrated.
    Wayne
    I followed instructions Dogwood.
    A person would have to try very hard NOT to eat a high fat - low carb diet on a long hike.
    Wayne

I followed instructions Dogwood.
    A person would have to try very hard NOT to eat a high fat - low carb diet on a long hike.
    Wayne
    I would say very easy to eat high fat and high carb on trail. More effort required to keep carbs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I would say very easy to eat high fat and high carb on trail. More effort required to keep carbs down.

Or not. Is there a real point to “keeping keto”?
    Meanwhile, in another thread, a nutritionist is quoted saying that a sound diet for long term exercise, like hiking for months, is 50% fat, 35% carbs and 15% protein. In round numbers. I’ll try to find the original.
    One thing is certain: the Lewis and Clark Expedition lived almost exclusively on venison, elk and bison. It almost killed them. The indigenous population fared much better by including plant life and fish in their diets.
    Wayne

Meanwhile, in another thread, a nutritionist is quoted saying that a sound diet for long term exercise, like hiking for months, is 50% fat, 35% carbs and 15% protein. In round numbers. I’ll try to find the original.
    One thing is certain: the Lewis and Clark Expedition lived almost exclusively on venison, elk and bison. It almost killed them. The indigenous population fared much better by including plant life and fish in their diets.
    Wayne
    I would have to agree with you except that for the OP it is important to “keep Keto”. What the ideal diet is for on or off trail is a topic sure to inspire and/or inflame many on here.

Keto is an extremely high fat 70-75% extremely low carb 5-10 % diet.

Whenever one goes to such dietary extremes consequences are bound to occur. I'm not of the opinion those consequences are always beneficial or all the consequences are solely a result of one dietary approach.

I agree with Heliotrope. Very easy to glutton on high fat content high carb high added sugar foods on an AT thru or LASH. That often describes nutritionally delinquent junk food like products. Going low carb, especially extremely low carb as when on a keto diet, takes greater diligence IMO. Again, it's common for AT resupply locations to offer high fat high carb high sugar junk food AND high fat low- med carb low sugar content junk food. Junk food is junk no matter the diet. Junk food and nutrionally poor food choices can occur whether on a keto diet or not as can be the case on a Vegan, vegetarian/plant based, omnivore, Atkins, Paleo, South Beach, raw, macro, etc etc etc diet. It is certainly possible to consume a junk food keto diet. Keto is NOT a panacea against this occurring.

I tend to look at who benefits most on various diets. I've always heard and assumed keto being an option for those motivated to lose wt especially fat in the body, desire satiation, addressing medical conditions like epilepsy, or balancing insulin or blood sugar and on some kind of controlled fast just as Capehiker said. Keto is just another option to those ends. So, I wonder the motivation for keto on trail as that helps understand individual perspectives perhaps allowing for more targeted responses which asssumed is the priority.

As StarChild said earlier even though one may not strictly adhere to keto on trail one can still get into a state of ketosis. I experience this even though not on a keto diet. My motivation usually involves lowering food wt carried out of anal UL and SUL tendencies. It's a approach I sometimes temporarily loosely adhere usually deeper into a LD hike when I no longer desire or can afford losing anymore body wt.

Thus arises another often significant consequence that deserves more discussion...adjusting to dietary and lifestyle changes transitioning back to off trail life.

As an experienced LD hiker having IMO an above avg grasp of diets and nutrition I sometimes still struggle with this. And, I certainly am not the only one! Stats demonstrate a high percentage of dieters on a temp diet motivated by wt loss or addressing adult onset diabetes when they go off the diet not only regain the lost wt but in short time weigh more than before they started the diet. Same thing for those motivated to reduce diabetes symptoms or no longer be diagnosed as a diabetic, or reduce blood pressure, address high cholesterol, etc.

Wayne
    I can’t find the thread from a few days ago. I probably have the fat and carbs reversed.
    Wayne

Wayne
    That's what I wanted to know. Are there larger motivations for going keto on trail. I want that info not to boo hoo anyone's dietary choices, to each their own, but to perhaps answer more appropriately.

Precooked bacon bits. Add to Mac&Cheese, Knorr Sides, instant mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc.
    I thought that “keeping keto” might be related to the “keeping cute” thread. Who invented this new language? Where did this Keto diet thing come from? Why? Enquiring Geezers want to know.
    Wayne
    I don’t know where it came from, but I’m sure glad it did. It has been the only thing to keep my insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance and body weight under control.

Now all my labs are normal, my weight is 64 pounds lighter, my body fat has dropped from 48% to 11%, and I feel great. I, too, am very interested in keeping lower carb on the trail, so I am thankful for this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Paleo diet is great, worked for thousands of years. I wouldn’t start Keto on the trail, Keto flu and all, but keeping Keto shouldn’t be too hard with all that excercise, probably could go up to 100-150 grams carb and maintain. Much lower inflammatory response with this diet as opposed to standard hiker poorer quality cheap foods. Carry some urine Keto sticks if you want to spot check. Freeze dried avocado. yummmmmmm. Best of luck to you and give us feedback on how you did, energy levels, etc...
    Have you actually made freeze dried avocado? What was the texture like? I love avocados, but they are so delicate I would have never thought of taking them on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    I don’t know where it came from, but I’m sure glad it did. It has been the only thing to keep my insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance and body weight under control.

Now all my labs are normal, my weight is 64 pounds lighter, my body fat has dropped from 48% to 11%, and I feel great. I, too, am very interested in keeping lower carb on the trail, so I am thankful for this thread.

Exactly where I was going with this. The OP has his reasons. If the effect of this diet is keeping his body within normal ranges for insulin and sugar then there is very good reason to think about ways to maintain the good results on trail.

It is possible. May be more challenging. I would not attempt to diagnose or treat anyone online. However, the amount of continuous exercise on a LD hike may allow one to maintain healthy ranges of blood glucose and insulin with more room to eat less than perfectly Keto. Exercise is the other factor besides insulin that allows muscle to take in blood sugar (keeping the levels healthier).

The challenge when exercising this much (hiking)is consuming enough calories. As long as you can meet the demand with Keto friendly foods then you should be in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post

So, I beg to ask. Are the diet changes the sole cause , the only changes, you've made that can be correlated with the better numbers and med condition. What I'm asking is have there been any other changes in your life that isn't ket related that could also explain the improvements.

Lastly, if keto is resonsible for these improvements I assume to make them long term realized keto is not perceived as a temporary dietary change? So, is your life
    Or at least what you consume, going to revolve around keto? Can you FT transition to and long term sustain a keto diet? If not you could be setting yourself up to regress to your former condition.

I hear this so often including from loved family and friends. Look what I've achieved on so and so a diet. But, they can't usually sustain such drastic dietary nor lifestyle changes. And, I point out maybe the improvements shouldnt be perceived entirely as a result of the diet because at the same period you started yoga, meditation, running, consistently hitting the gym, you are getting massages twice a wk, you're now riding a bike more, you went Organic, no longer have tap water as your drinking water source, you reduced or are no longer on prescription meds or taking OTC drugs, etc. All these changes can have positive effects in themselves that possibly can explain all or part of the improvement.

It's like when we see the fitness actor athlete marketer promoting a new get rockhard abs equipment as he or she are showing off their 6 or 8 packs. It's likely they didn't achieve those abs simply by buying and utilizing that piece of fitness equip they are marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    ...the challenge when exercising this much (hiking)is consuming enough calories. As long as you can meet the demand with Keto friendly foods then you should be in great shape.
    NO! Getting calories is easy. It's as easy as throwing a bottle of coconut oil, EVOO, or a squeeze bottle of Mr Parkay margarine in your pack. It's proper nutrition that is much more elusive.

As said previously one certainly can consume a strict keto diet of nutrionally dismal food. One can be keto and not get the nutrients there body needs.

Sustaining these diets requires long term lifestyle changes. More folks fail at this than succeed. Then, off to buy into the next temporary dietary fad. It's the same scenario with fitness equipment purchases and gym memberships.

A calorie isn't some magical energy thing or measurement that can be had on its own. A calorie is somthing that requires a carrying case called food. Food is never just a calorie. That carrying case - food- has far more other things in it than just a calorie. Those other things play significant roles in realizing energy, health, and we'll being.

To get back to OP.....

i have an impulse sealer and use it to make bags about 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall. I place the bags in ice cube trays to keep them standing up, and pour melted ghee or coconut oil or ev olive oil into them ( about 1 1/2 oz works well) pop them in freezer. When set, push out air and seal top.

The bags are cut down from those food saver bags you can get from Walmart. They are heavy , textured plastic that is food safe.

I store these here in a large ziplock in freezer between hikes to preserve. They really don’t go bad even when left in the car for a month.

These can be added into any meal for calories, they are healthy fats, about 120 cal per oz, help satisfy hunger, taste great, can be used for body lotion in a pinch and are easy to pack.

They are extremely coveted by fellow backpackers and I usually bring extra to give away ( to compensate for my farty dog) when I’m in shelters.

This is is probably my favorite hiker hack. Followed by dehydrated aloe infused baby wipes. (Another contentious thread)

Also, to OP, if keto is working for you, Great! If not... not so hard to add in healthy high carb dehydrated fruits, nuts, whole grains, which aren’t trash food. Good to see someone thinking about their food as fuel and nutrition, rather then just calories per ounce, regardless of food value.

There is more than only one right way to eat. Best to you, HYOH, eat your own food!

Another small point concerning ketosis which you probably already know, but just in case. You will become dehydrated more easily while in ketosis, be careful to monitor you skin turger and feeling of headache which will worsen if dehydrated. You may need more salt than most. A fat pinch of sea salt to your water bottle will help. Probably won’t be an issue if you have been following diet and excercise pattern for awhile, may happen with new hikers.

i have an impulse sealer and use it to make bags about 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall. ...
    Ever try a whole pint in a platypus bladder? I've seen it done, but always worried that it would pop.

Another small point concerning ketosis which you probably already know, but just in case. You will become dehydrated more easily while in ketosis, be careful to monitor you skin turger and feeling of headache which will worsen if dehydrated. You may need more salt than most. A fat pinch of sea salt to your water bottle will help. Probably won’t be an issue if you have been following diet and excercise pattern for awhile, may happen with new hikers.
    Responded to this possible need earlier. "To offset those good things in good carb loses I'd be considering mixing in a low sugar keto approved electrolyte/vitamin/probiotic/powdered greens drink supplement.

Responded to this possible need earlier. "To offset those good things in good carb loses I'd be considering mixing in a low sugar keto approved electrolyte/vitamin/probiotic/powdered greens drink supplement.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++