WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Using MC Sea Bag as a Hiking Pack?

I'm currently putting together a tentative gear list for a thru-hike. So far the tentative estimate for supplies is around the $400 mark, and I'm trying not to get above it as I still have to budget for clothing for the trip.

While I've been browsing new hiking backs, I've also considered using my dad's old sea bag. It's a durable canvas material and as far as size it can carry as much of not more than a lot of the expensive packs out there. At a glance, the largest downsides are a lack of outer storage, and lack of a waist strap; both of these can be remedied with a little sewing.

At a glance it seems like there could be issues with ergonomics and accessibility regarding items inside. I'm not expecting to be packing more than 25lbs at the most; right now the gear I've amassed totals out at about 17lbs.

So I want to know if anyone has any experience hiking with a sea bag? Do you think sewing additions will be enough to make it an acceptable tool, or would it probably be better to purchase something specifically tailored for this kind of activity?

No experience but I think by the first town you'll be forking out some money for a proper pack. You'd be better off finding a decent used one...plenty on the Backpacking Gear Flea Market on Facebook for a good price. You'd be better off carrying a slightly heavier pack that is comfortable than a sea bag that sucks to carry (former Navy girl).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBlue View Post
    . . . So I want to know if anyone has any experience hiking with a sea bag? . . .
    Read up on Grandma Gatewood.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

There was a hiker who carried his food in a 5 gal bucket....all the way to maine.

Most gear is convenience, not necessity. Grandma Gatewood used a laundry sack, a shower, a wool Army blanket and Tennis Shoes. And only hike the trail three times.

I think could find something at Goodwill /Craigslist /local Facebook yard sale group for $20 or less that will be drastically better than the sea bag. Those are fine for dragging around a boat or airport for half a mile, but miserable for carrying all day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    No experience but I think by the first town you'll be forking out some money for a proper pack. You'd be better off finding a decent used one...plenty on the Backpacking Gear Flea Market on Facebook for a good price. You'd be better off carrying a slightly heavier pack that is comfortable than a sea bag that sucks to carry (former Navy girl).
    Sea bags are just that. A big round bag with a $#!^^y center of gravity as opposed to a wider shallower pack with proper padding and load transfer abilities that will keep the load closer to your center of gravity. The straps on a sea bag are an afterthought, and not a comfortable one. They aren't designed for carrying loads for 2000 miles over mountainous terrain. Listen to your shipmate. You can buy a decent pack now and shop for a good price, or likely pay top dollar ($250+) when you get to Neels Gap.

I have my Dad's old WW2 Navy sea bag---heavy white canvas with drawstring and cumbersome.

Funny thing is, I actually backpacked with my 1969 USAF duffle bag in the style as pictured below---

file.jpg

It had one strap which locked into the top grommets and I wore it over one shoulder like an idiot because I had nothing else for a while. It contained all my gear and swung heavily off to one side and continually banged into my left (or right) leg. Not recommended.

I was out in Slickrock wilderness several years ago and saw a kid backpacking with an updated military duffle bag---"with wings" i.e. shoulder straps, as below---

genuine-issue-duffel-bag-seabag-od-olive-drab-green-us-military-issue-mcguire-army-navy-military.jpg

New fangled crap for the younger generation?? Maybe, still looks uncomfortable. Talk about dead weight. There's nothing heavier than a fully loaded duffle bag---as I remember humping all my crap as a military recruit at Lackland AFB and having to carry the beast in my arms across base to another barracks etc etc.

All this crazy talk reminds me of Wisenber who used to use a 8,000 cubic inch german pack with shoulder straps and no hipbelt, essentially a giant duffle bag, "with wings".

Wisenber crossing South Fork Creek in the Citico. Note large object on his back. Tormenting.

New fangled crap for the younger generation?? Maybe, still looks uncomfortable. Talk about dead weight. There's nothing heavier than a fully loaded duffle bag---as I remember humping all my crap as a military recruit at Lackland AFB and having to carry the beast in my arms across base to another barracks etc etc.

All this crazy talk reminds me of Wisenber who used to use a 8,000 cubic inch german pack with shoulder straps and no hipbelt, essentially a giant duffle bag, "with wings".

The one I have is from the late '80s, and has wings like the one in the picture. It isn't quite as large as that (about half the size full I think), though. Initially I was considering making a few sewing modifications - adding a waist strap, new padding for the shoulders, extra pockets etc - but now that I'm looking at the way that one hangs off the man's shoulders I don't think it would be comfortable for the long haul. I'd probably just end up crawling into a clinic at some point because I inflamed an old athletic injury.

Thanks for the input everyone!

The only thing I use my old seabag for, is to put my pack in when flying. Plenty of room for my gear, hiking sticks (in a cardboard tube to protect them and my other gear), and a set of clean clothes for the trip back home. Once I land at my destination, I'll mail it ahead to the finish, or back home, depending on my trip.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

A regular pack would be a lot more comfey. I found a 65L Northface for $2 at a yard sale. So there are cheaper ways.

You could do it but i would go to the goodwill and get a real pack

Tell you what. Load it up with all your stuff and go for a 10 mile walk. Let us know if you still want to use it after that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My pack and footwear are two places I would not try to improvise too much. There are ways to improvise and still have something that functions but those items may not be the ones to do it on. There are tons of packs on Amazon and gear resale sites that can be purchased for less than 50 dollars. And while they may not be the best option, they would be far better than a sea bag. A bag pack and bad shoes can lead to a quick exit from the trail. Good luck.

Hiked with a friend who made his own pack.
    Just bought a nylon sack that had a zipper on the end, and sewed shoulder straps onto it.
    He was quite lightweight, which I think was important.
    He had no issues (problems) with this pack and did the CDT with it.
    Is Lynn Wheldon's video on lightweight backpacking still around?
    The key is lightweight.
    I'd trade or switch that canvas duffel bag for a nylon one.
    And size too is important.
    Carry only what you need and I wouldn't leave room for more than 3 or 4 days food for the AT.
    Especially if you are going NOBO.
    By the time you get to the wilderness in ME, you will have it dialed in.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

GAME 06

My first pack I made in boy scouts.

The frame was made of wood. The backing was canvas fabric and it had nylon seat beat type webbing for straps. Held together with parachute cord. No hip belt. After boy scouts I took it on a solo trip through Glacier National Park when I was 15 (I ran away from home for adventure - met a grizzly bear there too!).

I was so tough back then. That thing was a torture device. Oh and on the Glacier trip I was wearing moccasins.

++ New Posts ++