Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default bouncing along the PCT

Anyone with experience bouncing along these towns? Wondering how long it's gonna take a package mailed from Campo to get to Lake Morena. .. or from Lake Morena to Mt. Laguna.
    Thanks!

If you look up the postal codes for where you are shipping from and/or to, usps.com will tell you expected delivery times.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I've never bounced a box between any of those locations but I'd assume what level of USPS, or other mail service, and exact origination and destination locations are most significant.

It seems obvious THE Best source to answer your question is to contact the USPO if that is the mailing service involved and your mailed to locations.

Assuming you'll be using Campo CA USPO mailing to Oak Shores Grocery Store (Lake Morena) and to Mt Laguna Grocery Store(inside USPO) contact all three if your bounced box is critical to your hike to ask for mailing suggestions.

I have mailed to Mt Laguna store from a NJ USPO using Priority flat rate early in work week (maybe Mon). The box was there 3 days later.

If your box and hiking timeframe is critical I'd have a tracking code accessing it on trail before you arrive at pick up location.

Before you go down that bounced box road when you contact Oak Shores and Mt Laguna stores ask them about their quality of resupply. It could be you could buy as you go at those locations. In hindsight even with my diet pickieness I could have bought but I was doing higher MPDs than you. The main reason why Ive chosen to mail to Mt Laguna was anal UL philosophy not wanting to carry too many meds (supplements).

I also had my personal H2O logistics dialed in not needing to carry vast excesses of water.

I think I see what you're trying to do though...TRULY HYOH.Good for you! You r working out your hike.

I think you'll walk faster than the package gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Before you go down that bounced box road when you contact Oak Shores and Mt Laguna stores ask them about their quality of resupply. It could be you could buy as you go at those locations. In hindsight even with my diet pickieness I could have bought but I was doing higher MPDs than you. The main reason why Ive chosen to mail to Mt Laguna was anal UL philosophy not wanting to carry too many meds (supplements).
    Did check with the store in Morena. Didn't get a real comfort level for the stuff they have. If it takes too long to bounce, I could just send a box there ahead of time. I know I can resupply at Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    If you look up the postal codes for where you are shipping from and/or to, usps.com will tell you expected delivery times.
    didn't know that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I think you'll walk faster than the package gets there.
    For most this very likely would be the situation. However. If you've been following along with Jefal he's anticipating doing well below avg daily mileage. He's not in the "most" category. Jefals is truly hiking his own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Did check with the store in Morena. Didn't get a real comfort level for the stuff they have. If it takes too long to bounce, I could just send a box there ahead of time. I know I can resupply at Laguna.

Again, a prime example of HYOH. The side of HYOH -working out your own hike, being responsible for your own hike, knowing yourself and planning you hike - that us sometimes ignored.

I really like what you are doing for you to make your hike a reality, Jefals. I consider it highly commendable

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I also had my personal H2O logistics dialed in not needing to carry vast excesses of water.

I think I see what you're trying to do though...TRULY HYOH.Good for you! You r working out your hike.
    Yeah, I already H'd MOH. 7.4 miles from Campo, then quit. Had unexpected cold and windy weather. Wasn't fun. I decided to come back later -- maybe September. Now thinking about that.
    Water: So, from Campo to Morena I'm taking 7 liters. Works out about right. For the 7.4 miles I went, I used 1.5 liters. About 5 mpl. It's 20 miles, so that's 4 liters.
    A couple nights out -- another liter, liter and a half. So I'm up to 5.5. Still 1.5l left over. That's for the wayward hiker I run into that tried cutting it too close, or if I need another night out for an emergency or something.
    SO with all that water, I'm figuring I can mail most of the food ahead to Morena.

That's exactly what I was thinking why you are doing what you are doing.

At a wonderful 71 yrs there is much that could be learned about personal hike responsibility from you.

What you're doing is taking a non cookie cutter approach. Even though it wouldn't be my specific logistical approach It's yours based on your hike being responsible for your hike. What you're demonstrating is what hiking can be about yet so many miss.

thanks bud!

Remember, you can get to the water source thirsty.

Was that the Malt/Burger/Beer/Liquor Store or the Country Market? Just curious.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Remember, you can get to the water source thirsty.
    Yep. Well, to each his own, but for me, I like to take more water than I think I'm gonna need. There are all kinds of potential emergencies out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Was that the Malt/Burger/Beer/Liquor Store or the Country Market? Just curious.
    Wayne
    It's the same place.

What?????
    GOOGLE & GOOGLE maps & YELP lied to me? The nerve.
    What’s next? The Easter Bunny is a hoax?
    Wayne

just had a flash! the bus to Campo also goes to Morena. so I can just take my box and drop it at Morena, and then go on to Campo! Sometimes I even surprise myself! ?

You're flowing in a good personal state postively affecting not just yourself. Keep it there.

I've really enjoyed sharing with others and yourself on the thread.

I'm dropping by if I'm low on H20 because I know you could have some extra. Have a great hike Jefals.

I wish you knew the story of Spot and Lint doing a CT thru as Spot related it at his yrs ago Denver REI talk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++