WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Waterproof hiking shoes...

Interested in hearing a pro/con discussion of waterproof footwear for hiking.

One con that is making me seriously reconsider waterproofing is that once the inside gets wet, they take forever to dry back out. Not that big of a deal on a weekend hike but for longer hikes this may be very uncomfortable. Just got hit with a downpour here and I spent several hours working outside in the pouring rain and by the time it was done I was soaked to the bone...my shoes were soaked...left them in front of a heater overnight to dry and they were dry by morning...except for the inside soles of the shoes...the kind of damp where within 2 minutes of walking around your feet feel wet because the water soaked through your socks.

If these were high top boot type hiking shoes they probably never would have gotten wet inside to begin with, but when you're out in the rain for hours and your pants are soaked through and the water is running down your leg, its just going to happen. And I've often gotten these shoes wet many times before but the moisture never got inside. I'm thinking they would dry out a lot faster without waterproofing.

My waterproof Keen Targhee 2 mids are only temporarily waterproof. Eventually, they leak, and yes, when they do get soaked it takes about two days of dry weather to hike them dry.

For day hikes, WP can be very handy. But inevitably, all the waterproof shoes/boots I've ever owned have failed while still essentially brand new. They still resist a quick step in a puddle, but soak through if hiking in continuous wet grass, wet snow, or continuous puddles.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I've hiked over 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail with Columbia Newton Ridge waterproof boots. They are completely waterproof, which has been tested over and over going through streams and in rain storms. Only once did the inside get wet, which was totally my fault, when I was caught in a rainstorm. It took about 24 hours of the boots sitting in front of a fan at a hostel for them to dry out completely. From that experience, I learned my lesson. I now wear waterproof gaiters and that has resolved the water intrusion problem. The key is don't put your foot in anything deeper than the top of your boots and wear the gaiters.

interestingly enough, it wasn't the water soaking that prompted me to start wearing gaiters. I found that when I hike in shorts, even boots will pick up dirt, sticks, stones, etc. After a day of hiking, my socks were filthy. That is primarily why I started wearing gaiters. The bonus of fending off water intrusion was a happy coincidence, which I discovered in a rainstorm.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Default Waterproof hiking shoes...

Well oiled, all leather boots with a gusset tongue have always worked for me. I don't wear mine much anymore because my feet swell up too much for boots.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Waterproof socks are easier to clean and dry than boots or shoes. I have a pair of Sealskins that I use if it looks like I'll be walking in wet or snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Waterproof socks are easier to clean and dry than boots or shoes. I have a pair of Sealskins that I use if it looks like I'll be walking in wet or snow.
    How many days can you go with the Sealskins before needing a good wash? I've never worn a WP sock.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I'll say it for the 1000th time, GTX boots. They do breath a little bit and they do keep most of the water out, without being a vapor barrier like a well oiled leather boot would be. Although in the right conditions a well oiled leather boot is hard to beat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think the best of both worlds is to spray non-waterproof shoes with the silicone water proofing spray. They will shed water but still breath.

One con that is making me seriously reconsider waterproofing is that once the inside gets wet, they take forever to dry back out.

This is an oversimplification and generalized exaggeration

Not that big of a deal on a weekend hike but for longer hikes this may be very uncomfortable.

I'd say true. Operable word though being may.

Just got hit with a downpour here and I spent several hours working outside in the pouring rain and by the time it was done I was soaked to the bone...my shoes were soaked...left them in front of a heater overnight to dry and they were dry by morning...except for the inside soles of the shoes...the kind of damp where within 2 minutes of walking around your feet feel wet because the water soaked through your sock.

This depends on things like your set up.

If these were high top boot type hiking shoes they probably never would have gotten wet inside to begin with

Maybe, but again it depends on several things including your overall set up.

, but when you're out in the rain for hours and your pants are soaked through and the water is running down your leg, its just going to happen.

Very likely. But, then it begs the question why was moisture running down your leg inside your pants?

Ive gotten wet many times before but the moisture never got inside.

Ask yourself why?

I'm thinking they would dry out a lot faster without waterproofing.

Maybe. Different kinds of approaches and notions of what WPing entail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    There are different approaches to this getting wet issue. Most all have merit or usability under various scenarios. This is one approach. I generally agree with Nanatuk. It is often easier to dry a separate WP sock and non WP shoe. This is a generalization on my part and not offered as an absolute though.

Most times I personally take Nanatuk's approach but take a second pr of socks usually light wt merino. MOST in context of a wide range of situations and hikes not just the AT during any one season.

However, under all wet situations this still does not mean I totally or always rely on WP socks. I may also address wet feet proactively where there is a very high likely hood I will get wet feet by using a product such as Berts Bees Res Q Ointment using Andrew Skurka's article advice.

It also does not mean succumbing to a general duality - WP shoes bad, WP shoes good approach ignoring context.

I will use WP footwear on some hikes. However, I rarely no longer rely solely on any type of WP shoe to keep feet dry. Keeping feet dry for myself, when I choose that approach in part or entirely, means looking at my entire set up

For example, in cooler temps(winter, shoulder seasons) in mixed conditions(snow traversing, periods of long heavy rain, sleet) I may use WP shoes(Altra LP mid Neoshell or Keen Targhee II low or mid cuts), WP socks(colder it is more insulated the sock), UL WP or highly WR pants(Montbells, Montane, or Schoeller fabric), MLD rain chaps, WP eVent or Neoshell or other WR shortie gaiter. It's all intentionaly layered not giving into water dripping down inside the leg into the shoe. This may mean not letting water drip off my head and/or into a jacket then into pants then entering shoes.

This system is tweaked the warmer the environment.

Manywill solely blame gear such as WP pants, WP jackets and WP shoes as the sole reason of experiencing internal moisture being introduced into the system when it is not the only factor in satisfactorily employing this gear. User ability and matching approach and appropriate gear choices to the hike and conditions is often more at fault!

The thing is, on average the AT is a wet trail. In the context of the AT, Gortex boots are a wise choice. Your feet will stay significantly drier then someone with non WP shoes and therefore require less maintenance.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

These threads often go down a rabbit hole of fragmented approaches and sometimes heated debates and out of context long winded endless loop individually biased opinions ultimately resulting in confusion for those seeking solutions. I sincerely hope what was shared, even though long winded, offers greater context to the discussion.

WP shoes are useful. Non WP shoes are useful. Buy both. Use both. You'll appreciate both. See what works best for you in your various situations.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

You older guys are demonstrating insight, maturity, options, and personal responsibility. For example, look at what Idsailor posted. He's still open to learning, not willing to solely blame his gear or pass the buck. And, he's better for it!

These traits can embody one of any age.

Andrew Skurka learns from every hike, publicly offers sometimes harsh personal opinions about what he could have done better, while injecting levity. And, he's not in the habit of solely blaming his gear when something is of an issue. Andrew is aware it sometimes is himself or his ability, approach, or choices that are most significant.

If it's cold, like Winter hiking, I use waterproof insulated boots. For normal three season hiking, I don't care if my feet get wet, they'll dry in trail runners quick enough. I've started out with goretex hiking boots, but found that when my feet get wet, they stay wet, all day! Trail runners, they get wet, dry out, get wet, dry out, get wet, dry out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++