WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice: TarpTent MoTrail

I have been pining for this tent for awhile, and the one thing holding me back is this: My spouse and I are both side sleepers, and while we’re pretty fit, I worry that our calves/ knees/ hips will routinely contact the tent wall shedding any condensation.

Anyone have this tent and can share your experience?

We’re 5’5 and 6’3 if it matters.

While we all love our equipment, I am just interested in advice on this tent right now. Please do not tell me how great your hammock/ tarp/ bivy/ solong/ duplex/ etc is.

Images

I have a protrail and I'm an active sleeper. Side, stomach, and back. I tend to roll from one side to the other. I'm six foot even.

Yes, sometimes I bump the sides with my bag and the bag gets a little wet. This never resulted in any problem. Even in heavy rain.

Hope that helps,

Journal Entries

I use a TT Notch and I don't have any problems with things getting wet. I am a side sleeper as well and once I settle in for the night I won't move until I wake up.
    Blackheart

At 6’-3” I would be more concerned about sitting headroom anywhere but directly on the centerline of the tent.
    Without naming names, I switched to tents with vertical sidewalls and double doors and vestibules. The improvements in live ability is amazing.
    Good luck with your shopping.
    Wayne

I own the predecessor to the Motrail, the Squall 2. At 5'10", I don't like how I had to scoot all the way back to the door to sit up inside the tent. Which is why I now own another Tarptent that I won't name due to your restrictions. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I own the predecessor to the Motrail, the Squall 2. At 5'10", I don't like how I had to scoot all the way back to the door to sit up inside the tent. Which is why I now own another Tarptent that I won't name due to your restrictions. ;P
    One of my 2 recent tent purchases is also a TarpTent.
    Wayne

My son just started the approach trail with his MoTrail today. We settled on it as a 1+ person option. He's comfortable in it alone (he's right at 6 ft, about 220) but I can't imagine two people sharing it for a long distance trip.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Same here, had the original Squall 2, but I hate restrictions, so I'll tell you I now love my Rainbow... at least when I'm not using my WBBB Hammock!

After 3 nights on the trail my son seems to be happy with his MoTrail. I've only bothered him concerning equipment and logistics, and he hasn't reported any concerns. Given the temps thus far I'm comfortable saying that he hasn't had an issue with condensation - but he's using it solo, so there's decent room.

++ New Posts ++