WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bikes on the AT!

Has anyone ever encountered people trying to ride there bike on the AT?

I mtb in New England. You won’t see me on the at biking anywhere. The closest I might get is greylock in mass. Couple trails there mapped for mtb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10s of thousands a year ride on the AT for a half mile on the Creeper trail

Default Bikes on the AT!

Not the AT, but on the Black Mountain Crest Trail there are signs that say no mountain bikes. If you hauled a bike 3,000' up to that ridgeline, Godspeed, good luck, and GoPro
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Once while a caretaker in Maine I had to throw a "muni" (mountain unicycle, yes, thats a thing) rider off the AT.

I've seen bike tracks on the AT in places close to town, usually collage towns. Some ass drove a dirt bike up the AT to the Mt Algo shelter out side of Kent, CT.

Seen a few horses on the AT. There's a shelter in VA close to some horse trails and they ride over to the shelter and leave beer cans and junk food wrappers. Had three guys ride up to the Chestnut Knob shelter one evening. Then one of the horses stepped on the riders hand and cut open his thumb. Had to break out the band aids and new skin to patch him up. At least he gave me his last beer.

Lots of ATV tracks where the AT passes by a neighborhood in NY. Used to see a lot of ATV tore up trail in NC back in the late 80's when the land disputes were going on.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 02-24-2018 at 18:01.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Not the AT, but on the Black Mountain Crest Trail there are signs that say no mountain bikes. If you hauled a bike 3,000' up to that ridgeline, Godspeed, good luck, and GoPro
    They drive up to the ridgeline, unload their bikes on the sly ILLEGALLY and yahoo down illegally. You're from NC. Think about it, how they do it.

Yes, I've seen it several times in GA (near Blood Mt. told them it was illegal, they alresdy knewbtjst thouhjve some BS story about VA, VT, once in NJ, in Shenandoah NP (Ranger gave them a citation, they were stoned acting as they didnt know the rules, not my usual style but could have told the Ranger to search them for illegal drugs)

Yes, I've seen it several times in GA (near Blood Mt. told them it was illegal, they alresdy knewbtjst thouhjve some BS story about VA, VT, once in NJ, in Shenandoah NP (Ranger gave them a citation, they were stoned acting as they didnt know the rules, not my usual style but could have told the Ranger to search them for illegal drugs)

just north of Hanover NH. seen a guy carrying his bike over a rocky section
    seen more horses than bikes in places they didn't belong, very destructive to the trail itself.

Roan Highlands, Grayson Highlands twice chasing the protected ponies...

Mostly young snide yahoo males who damn well knew what they were doing was illegal. Enforcement is sorely lacking. They know they are not likely to be caught or if they are they get off with a warning and told to immediately leave. Saw LEO's twice tell them they had to walk their bikes out when they attempted to ride away from the officer. They didn't like that. When the officer wasn't looking or they thought he didn't see them they jumped back on their bikes

Total arse holes. This kind of behavior is what gives other legal MBers and the sport a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    They drive up to the ridgeline, unload their bikes on the sly ILLEGALLY and yahoo down illegally. You're from NC. Think about it, how they do it.
    I'm sure the sign has to be there for a reason, but any route down from that ridgeline would be suicide on a bike. I'm sure there are wannabe Redbullers who would try it.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I've crossed the AT many times on my bike in the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee. I tried to ride down to Dennis Cove once from the back side of a forest service road near Roan Mountain but it was just too much of a pain. Switchbacks, steps, too steep. I ended up taking another forest service road the long way.

I can't imagine it being possible on any long stretch.

Roan Highlands, Grayson Highlands twice chasing the protected ponies...

Mostly young snide yahoo males who damn well knew what they were doing was illegal. Enforcement is sorely lacking. They know they are not likely to be caught or if they are they get off with a warning and told to immediately leave. Saw LEO's twice tell them they had to walk their bikes out when they attempted to ride away from the officer. They didn't like that. When the officer wasn't looking or they thought he didn't see them they jumped back on their bikes

Total arse holes. This kind of behavior is what gives other legal MBers and the sport a bad rap.
    My pissant solution is to take copious photos of "illegal pedalers" and post them on the Interwad etc, facebook, my hiking blog etc.

Images

Yep. "Locals" just north of Hot Springs, NC.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Saw many bicycle tracks on the trail through Swarta State Park in PA.

I'm sure the sign has to be there for a reason, but any route down from that ridgeline would be suicide on a bike. I'm sure there are wannabe Redbullers who would try it.
    Thread drift.

Descending BA Trail in GC NP two a hole yahoo MBers came screaming down early in the morning. Not only is that clearly illegal with them knowing it but dangerous for others. Rangers got them. They were in handcuffs surrounded by Rangers with guns when I saw them later. Not only were they getting it from LEO'S but tourists. Later a Ranger friend told me they were jailed and all their stuff confiscated. Probably had a hefty fine levied. Bet they were also barred from not only GCNP but NPS run sites. If it was me I'd also make them do community service cleaning out dirty pit toilets and scrapping gum off sidewalks.

What was the eventual outcome of the hoodoo topplers in Goblin Valley SP?

Yes, I've seen it several times in GA near Blood Mt. Told them it was illegal. They already knew it though. Gave some BS story at first of being lost. It turned out after further inquiry they didnt want to walk to the summit of Blood Mt. They came in from Vogel SP where they were also riding illegally, VA, VT, once in NJ on the Kittatiny Ridge, in Shenandoah NP (Ranger gave them a citation, they were stoned acting as they didnt know the rules, not my usual style but could have told the Ranger to search them for illegal drugs)
    Curiously, the only unicycle on any trail I've seen was near the same spot near Blood Mt. Best I ever saw though was in the same general area - get ready for this - someone pogo sticking down the AT towards Neel Gap. Guy told me he was going nearly 40 miles on the AT on a freaking pogo stick. It was surreal. As I talked with hIm he laced his Cons and applied some drops of oil to his machine like he was the OZ tinman. No shart. Can't make this up. Strangest stuff I've ever seen on a hike was on the AT.

Not the only time I saw someone on a pogo stick on the AT though. Saw a red haired teen aged girl with her long hair in braids resembling Pippy Longstocking bouncing along like it was a regular thing. Astonished, as she bounced by she said "hello, thank you Mister" as I stepped aside to let her go by. Ahh, the AT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++