WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BMT through the Cohuttas - fire damage?

I'm looking at an overnight on the BMT somewhere in the Cohutta Wilderness. I know there was a massive fire through that general area last year, but Idon't know the specific location. Does anyone know if the area around the junction of CR 271/FS 64 (Watson Gap, mile 72.6) was burned? And is there a good campsite somewhere near there? I can go north or south from there, depending on which offers the better camping and hiking experience.

Journal Entries

If WB member Tipi Walter isn't out in the woods right now, he's probably your best source of information. He lives in those woods.

If he doesn't show up in a while with a detailed trip report and a dozen photos, maybe give the forest service a call. Here's the number I found for them:
    770 297-3000

I can't speak to the impact of the fire because I was last there in 2016, but there are plenty of camping spots just north of Watson Gap. Mill Branch is a little over 0.5 miles north of there, and has water and plenty of room to camp. Another mile or so beyond that, and there is more camping along a stream as you get close to the intersection with the Jacks River Trail. This is a picture of Mill Branch...b2.22 mill branch.jpg
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I can't speak to the impact of the fire because I was last there in 2016, but there are plenty of camping spots just north of Watson Gap. Mill Branch is a little over 0.5 miles north of there, and has water and plenty of room to camp. Another mile or so beyond that, and there is more camping along a stream as you get close to the intersection with the Jacks River Trail. This is a picture of Mill Branch...b2.22 mill branch.jpg
    Thanks! That looks like a great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    If WB member Tipi Walter isn't out in the woods right now, he's probably your best source of information. He lives in those woods.

If he doesn't show up in a while with a detailed trip report and a dozen photos, maybe give the forest service a call. Here's the number I found for them:
    770 297-3000
    Yeah, he's probably out there right now!

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Yeah, he's probably out there right now!
    Not quite out yet but I did pull a Post Fire trip---two of them---an 18 day trip in July and a 20 day trip in September---and ranged all through the Cohutta from Dally Gap and down the Jacks (and back up the Jacks) and up Rough Ridge, the main trail damaged in the 2016 fires.

I saw significant fire damage on parts of the Jacks River trail above the Falls and alot of damage on Rough Ridge and Rice Camp etc. But none of the trails were blocked except alittle on Rice Camp. You really won't notice any fire damage and it shouldn't stop your trip.

Panther Creek was also good and the Conasauga is as awesome as ever.

++ New Posts ++