WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping Bag Liners

Looking for feedback from hikers who use sleeping bag liners. I'll be sleeping in long underwear and using an EE quilt during colder weather so I'm not really worried about keeping a bag clean. I would expect some extra warmth on the cold nights. I would expect that I could use it alone for warmer weather instead of the quilt. What are your thoughts? Worth the weight? Luxury item? I've read about negative experiences of it feeling confining. Just curious about your experiences and thoughts.

I used a liner with an older sleeping bag. However, when I Purchased the appropriate quilt, I ditched the liner. Don’t see the purpose and feel that the quilt uses Body Heat and loft to maintain warmth that a liner may interfere with. The weight is more than purchasing extra loft or the next lower temp quilt and as mentioned, it is very confining. For an occasional cold night that occurs by accident, you can adjust clothing and supplement with a down puffy that many carry anyway. Also, hot bottle trick, Head neck covering and eating before sleep , all help. It does come down to personal choice as does most gear choices.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I had a silk one for years and it finally blew out. I got tangled up in it more than once, it was kind of annoying. I think it did add some heat, and kept the bag cleaner. But, you can sleep in your longjohns, and wear a hat, and probably be the same warmth. In the end it was 4oz I didn't need to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    I used a liner with an older sleeping bag. However, when I Purchased the appropriate quilt, I ditched the liner. Don’t see the purpose and feel that the quilt uses Body Heat and loft to maintain warmth that a liner may interfere with. The weight is more than purchasing extra loft or the next lower temp quilt and as mentioned, it is very confining. For an occasional cold night that occurs by accident, you can adjust clothing and supplement with a down puffy that many carry anyway. Also, hot bottle trick, Head neck covering and eating before sleep , all help. It does come down to personal choice as does most gear choices.
    That has been the way the analysis has fallen out for me. I kept trying to find a liner that made sense. Never did.

I like my liner. Invest in a silk one. That will give you the best warmth/weight/size ratio.

When it's hot, I'll start out with just the liner, then pull the bag over me when it gets chilly before dawn.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The lightest wt ripstock silk or polyester ones by Cocoon or c2Summit are worth the 4-4.6 oz wt hit to me to add about 5-7* of warmth when I'm pushing the temp rating of a bag or quilt to below its rating which is customary for myself when I'm already wearing sleep layers, addresed under insulation, accessorize with hats, socks, gloves, etc. Since I'm also a side to side rotisserie sleeper and regular cowboy camper and A frame tarper incorporating a liner into thw mix is one approach to eliminating drafts in a zipperless quilt.

Silk or microfiber thinner UL wt liners are the most slippery and least binding. C2Summit has their stretch silk rectangular shaped liner with lateral lycra stretch panels which may help the tangent issues some voice. http://www.seatosummitusa.com/produc...o2=0&o3=111-34

To realize the warmth ratings of such liners mentioned it's important one snug up a hood and/or shoulder drawstring. Many I've seen complain about liner warmth ratings not being realized don't do this and then bitch about the gear as if it's the gear's fault or it's unethical marketing of temp ratings.

Additionally, as an ULer seeking pieces that function doing double and triple duty I get greater usage out of a liner because it's what I sleep in when visiting a hostel or hotel on a hike and I'll drape it over me like a toga in camp and when hiking making it another layering piece. And, of course ripstop silk feels cool and comfortable on the skin.

FWIW, the heavier other fabric liners, when doing wt to warmth ratio comparisons are a wt hit that I'm not willing to make because there are lighter wt alternatives for the warmth.

But when you're on the cusp of the sleep system warmth I'm not totally adverse to adding such a UL liner into the mix on a usual temporary basis.

A silk liner and a sleeping bag or quilt is like pairing a sheet with a blanket: the extra layer makes you more comfortable. Even if you aren't quite covered by the bag/quilt, the liner is a barrier against drafts. You'll sleep longer without interruptions until the temperature drops substantially.

...tanglement issues some voice.

Journal Entries

Why go to a quilt to get away from the entanglement of a bag, and then put yourself in another even more tangly bag under the quilt?

Senseless to me.

Buy the right quilt. Supplement with the right clothes when needed. Keep things simple as possible.

But then again I'm a person that sleeps in all my clothes . Never take them off on the trail unless damp. Simplicity.

Or maybe it's laziness. In any case is low hassle. I'm out there to eat sleep and walk I'm not into changing clothes or pretending I'm at home by emulating home experiences. ( Things like baking, showering, social media, etc)

It varies by season, of course, but the fewer items I can bring the happier I am. The simpler Trail life is. Warm weather is a blast, even with the sweaty days, because so few items are needed.

Simplicity, is elegant.
    Complexity, is clumsy and ugly.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2018 at 03:46.

If you can fit, cut this one in half, get the halves sewn and have a second liner as a back up. Approximately 4.5 ounces for half. I'm going to use it as a matter of keeping my bag cleaner 1st and added (minimal) warmth 2nd.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Liners do add some warmth to the system but not so much as to justify their use just for that.
    Main purpose for me is, to keep the bag as clean as possible, and to add the possibility to start a warm night in just the liner and a jacket draped over mod-body, and to drag the sleepingbag over me later in the night.
    Another purpose is to stay sealed-off from critters and moskitos, though not all moskitos are the same, there are some that would sting through the (Nylon) liner no problem.

I use a liner to keep dirt / body oils from getting into my quilt, also for a couple extra degrees of warmth. Silk ones were a kind of a pain. The best one I’ve found is built by Dutch.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/quilt-liner/

At 2.5oz it’s the lightest I’ve found, has held up great for 2 years now, roomy, easy to get in/out of with a little practice, and has kept my quilts very clean Clean = loft = warm = happy hiker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've toyed with the idea of getting one to use by putting my pad in it, like a fitted sheet to lay on top of
    but it could dual purpose as another layer too.

In the old times we did exactly this: Slipping the pad into the bivvy when cowboy camping.
    But then, while you have the advantage of never getting the bag over the edge of the pad into dirt, you have the disadvantage of being very restricted in the bag, basically you can mostly lie flat on the back only.

I meant put the pad inside with me on top outside....not crowding into the liner with the pad....

GAME 06

Liners can be very useful.

On a trail like the AT when the summer comes and you are in between the higher mountains (Southern VA to Hanover) you can go without a bag/quilt entirely and just use a liner. I have done that entire distance carrying only a liner for a bag. Superlight.

I have never been concerned about keeping the bag/quilt clean by using them, but I seldom sleep in my daily top/shorts in a bag as I want to air them out and if I am near water I rinse them in the evening and hang them to dry overnight. Also if you have spent part of the day in rain you do not want to sleep in your wet clothes and the liner over a base layer with your puffy is like a bag and will keep you warm.

The above being said I often do not carry a liner. If I am on one of the western trails where night time temps are very likely to go well below what one sees in the summer on the AT I carry a bag/quilt and leave the liner at home.

For winter hiking a liner can be essential of course whether you use a quilt or bag.

Then why would you? To protect the pad? From what?

When in the desert where there are a thousand stingy pointy things trying to ruin the Thermarest, I'm using a groundcloth made from housewrap (the one I made for My MSR tent), and first thing I do at the campspot is to spread the ground cloth, which defines my home area for the night.

Thanks hikers! All good information. I'll forego the liner and keep doing what has worked for me thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Why go to a quilt to get away from the entanglement of a bag, and then put yourself in another even more tangly bag under the quilt?

Senseless to me.

Buy the right quilt. Supplement with the right clothes when needed. Keep things simple as possible.

In any case... low hassle.

Simplicity, is elegant.
    Complexity, is clumsy and ugly.
    Not everyone chooses a quilt based on entanglement issues. You're making more of it into an issue than often need be.

Again, adding a liner can be incorporated into additional warming measures. It doesn't have to be one thing or another. Many things can come together to supplement warmth adding diversity to a sleep system. This is what many do having a limited quilt/bag line up. We all don't have or are willing to afford a great number of different bags and quilts. A liner helps tweak a sleep system.

If you don't want greater complexity/fiddle factor perhaps you should avoid quilts all together because quilts more so than conventional sleeping bags require it particularly often significant in low temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    I use a liner to keep dirt / body oils from getting into my quilt, also for a couple extra degrees of warmth. Silk ones were a kind of a pain. The best one I’ve found is built by Dutch.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/quilt-liner/

At 2.5oz it’s the lightest I’ve found, has held up great for 2 years now, roomy, easy to get in/out of with a little practice, and has kept my quilts very clean Clean = loft = warm = happy hiker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Hatchet how does the Argon 67 feel on the skin in hot weather? In ground apps? How well does it breathe compared to ripstop silk of say something like a 4.4-4.8 oz c2Summit silk mummy liner?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++