WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 1p, <40oz, double wall, side entry, non trek pole supported - What are my options?

Looking for tent suggestions using the following criteria:
    1 person,
    Less than 40 oz,
    Double wall,
    Side entry,
    Non trekking pole supported.

Intended use is for AT thru hike and future bikepacking.

Images

https://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html

i owned and used the original moment ( non double wall ) sets up fast. needs two stakes, although you can use four

one night I had to set it up in the dark on a windy night. In the middle of the night I realized it was flapping a bit........found out in the morning that one of the two stakes had pulled out in the soft ground..........noisy but it did not collapse.

The MomentDW is one of my contenders for sure and I appreciate you sharing your experience.
    The Tarptent Bowfin 1 is another that I'm looking at.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 - "packed weight" is 40oz. You lose hipster cred for buying a big brand, but you can likely score them on deep discount depending on time of year. I think there's also a Nemo with dual side exits.

TarpTent Notch + 2 poles from TarpTent.
    The North Face TriArch 1. It ships with a footprint. Leave that at home and trail weight is 39 ounces according to The North Face.
    MSR Hubba NX might make your weight limit.
    Wayne

Tarp tent rainbow gives a lot of room for weight, nice height. Can use hiking poles for freestanding, but can pitch with just stakes. Really large, unimpeded entry.

oops, just noticed double wall requirement. Still recommend you look at the rainbow.

best of luck with your decision, lots of great options out there.
    Last edited by kestral; 02-22-2018 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 - "packed weight" is 40oz. You lose hipster cred for buying a big brand, but you can likely score them on deep discount depending on time of year. I think there's also a Nemo with dual side exits.
    Second the BA Copper spur HV UL1. Can definitely get the packed weight to under 40oz Minimum trail weight is 35oz, though mine is closer to 38. Looootsaaaa room.

Pyramid tents with inner net tents from Sixmoondesigns and Mountainlaureldesigns will run ~30oz +- with stakes, footprint, and pole. Uses about the least amount of fabric and poles for a given sq ft with still a good sit-up inside height. I use the Gatewood which doubles as a rain poncho and has a unique self-bug-bailing peak vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Second the BA Copper spur HV UL1. Can definitely get the packed weight to under 40oz Minimum trail weight is 35oz, though mine is closer to 38. Looootsaaaa room.
    Yep, love my Fly Creek UL2, in fastpack mode using cordage instead of the footprint its about 20oz.

Images

Third on the BA Copper Spur if you're looking at free standing. At just under 6' I can sit up in the original. For taller from what I've read the newer HV model gives a few more headroom inches. If you want a little more room, the 2 person is probably the ticket at a weight penalty of 10 oz more than the 1 person. 34oz and 44oz advertised trail weights.

++ New Posts ++