WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice on warmth

I'm planning a 200 mile section in southern / middle VA in early May.

Was planning to bring hiking shorts and shirt and raingear (top and bottom) for rain protection and added layer of warmth.

Trying to decide about a base layer and/or fleece and/or puffy (with hood ).

I've previously hiked from Springer to VA - so I'm pretty confident - but not sure about the climate to expect.

Would love some advice.

Step 1: research historical avgs and record highs and lows at one of the weather sites

Sounds like you may benefit from another shirt such as a Patagonia Cap 1 LS 1/4 zip.

You’d be good with a shirt and rain jacket I’d suspect. I was only carrying a windbreaker as an extra layer at that time, though I still had a 20 degree quilt.

I’d still being the puffy for around camp.
    I wore mine almost every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be heading SOBO from HF the 3d week of April. I'll make my final decision on clothing when it gets closer to departure time, but I suspect I won't need much. The last time I did this hike I came close to having heat stroke by the middle of May in central VA.

Remember there probably won't be much shade yet, so don't forget the sun block!

My standard clothing set up is:
    1) wicking T shirt
    1) long sleeve light weight base layer top. I might go with mid weight. May or may not bring the leggings.
    1) long sleeve work shirt. Dickie works shirts aren't the lightest, but they are pretty wind proof, dry reasonably quickly.
    1) pair of zip off pants. I don't often hike in shorts, but this does give me the option.
    1) Pair of nylon swim shorts. This is mostly for my trip to Florida to visit my Dad before the hike. Like to swim in the motel pool and take a dip in the Gulf while I'm there. Can also double as spare undies when doing laundry.
    1) Pair of long gaiters. I'll treat these with tick repellent and wear them with the swim shorts if it gets too hot.
    1) pair of spare socks
    1) rain jacket - probably bring my Gortex jacket. I never bother with rain pants.
    1) Either a down or light fleece vest. I need something to make into a pillow.

That should do it. Might modify the list slightly depending on what the weather is looking like just before I leave.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would bring some sort of jacket for warmth. All day drizzles can get you hypothermic. Also be sure to treat your pants with permethrin. Ticks are very bad in VA in May.

I did Virginia NOBO last year. I started in Marion at the Friendship shelter and ultimately went 750 miles. My start was May 4. For the first couple of weeks it was cool. When it rained, the combination of cool and wet led almost to hypothermia. After a couple of weeks things warmed up and then there was this oppressive heat wave. I was hiking in shorts and a tee shirt. I was soaked completely through from sweat. That heat wave pretty much lasted to Harper's Ferry.

If I were to do it again, I would not change my gear. Long pants and long sleeve shirt to start out and shorts and tee shirt for the rest. I carried a packable puffer down jacket and wore it frequently at night. I had no long underwear. My sleeping bag was a 30 degree bag and after the first couple of weeks, mostly slept in it unzipped.

One thing of note is rain gear. The nature of it means you will sweat like crazy when you wear it while hiking. I later took to not wearing the rain pants. I found that I was more comfortable with wet legs in the warmer temps than wearing rain pants.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

If you dont spend a significant amount of time outside of your bag/quilt wandering around camp a puffy especially if it is med wt or warmer will see limited usage. In camp you could employ your bag/quilt for added warmth by draping it over yourself or getting into it.

You said you're taking the rain wear for added warmth. That reasoning can also apply in camp weather it's raining or not. Don't assume rain wear is to be worn only when it's raining.

So your question has to be taken in context of what kind of approach to hiking you have. Everyone isn't going to need the same wt of added warmth.

As said earlier a LS synthetic w/ 1/2 zip to address increasing humidity and periods of wetness and diversity of layering options might be the layering piece that works. The other possible piece being a light wt synthetic vest as an alternative. You'll possibly have greater usage and layering diversity with either of these option IMO than a puffy.

If you're willing to do some of these things I don't see why a light wt fleece w a zip couldn't also be used as you've already suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you dont spend a significant amount of time outside of your bag/quilt wandering around camp a puffy especially if it is med wt or warmer will see limited usage. In camp you could employ your bag/quilt for added warmth by draping it over yourself or getting into it.

You said you're taking the rain wear for added warmth. That reasoning can also apply in camp weather it's raining or not. Don't assume rain wear is to be worn only when it's raining.

So your question has to be taken in context of what kind of approach to hiking you have. Everyone isn't going to need the same wt of added warmth.

As said earlier a LS synthetic w/ 1/2 zip to address increasing humidity and periods of wetness and diversity of layering options might be the layering piece that works. The other possible piece being a light wt synthetic vest as an alternative. You'll possibly have greater usage and layering diversity with either of these option IMO than a puffy.
    I agree, you're hiking habits are really going to play into what you need for warmth in camp. Do you hike until dark, make a quick camp and jump into your bag? Do you get up first thing and start hiking? If so, you probably don't need anything but your sleeping layer. A fleece or light puffy isn't going to break you weightwise, though.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Be aware that if you choose a down layer, you risk loosing your insulation from sweat or rain.
    Since encountering 27 days of rain during the first month of my 2012 SoBo, I usually only carry down layers for shorter treks. Of course my sleeping bag is down, and I will wear down for deep winter long distance treks, but only with a vapor barrier.

In Virginia Spring weather I'd recommend against the hooded puffy. Get some fleece base layer clothes that you can sleep in. (Search for "Weatherproof Thermafleece" with Google, click on "Shop", and the first two links are the tops and bottoms I'm taking on the AT.) Strip down and do a quick wash when you hit camp (and are still warm) to remove the day's hiking funk, then get into your clean base layers. Add a fleece beanie as necessary to warm your head. If it's windy or raining, layer on your rain gear.

When you stop hiking, your legs will stop warming themselves and you'll want some insulation there. If it's only a little cool the hooded puffy will be overkill, and you won't be able to avoid sweating at the back of the neck. Sweating in camp is bad news.

++ New Posts ++