WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nobo logistics from east coast.....

Starting to plan my yearly trip out west. Originally had planned to redo my CT hike but may not be able to get away so long. My thoughts are do JMT nobo as I did a 13 day flip flop last time..ideally I’d like to only have one travel day at beginning and end. Looks like flying into mammoth has gotten really pricy and lone pine only 3.5 hours from lax...assume there’s a bus service from lax to LP....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeframe?

Immedate thoughts are: why does it have to be a thru hike or end to ender and why does it have to be a named trail?

Your situation, which is what most "normal" folks find themselves, is why some including myself have great respect for section hikers that go on to complete hikes/trails over more than one season.

The West is a BIG and diverse place to organize everything from a desert, coastal, mountain, forest, large lake, active volcano, etc mixed experiences hike. Darn, Olympic NP in itself can be a coastal, mountain, and rain forest hike. Plus, getting there is another scenic experience possibly more worthy than flying into Reno, LAX, SAC etc and getting to the JMT.

Darn, depending on time frame one could get in a Wonderland Tr thru followed up by jumping over to the practically adjacent WA PCT.

Arizona, Montana, and New Mexico has mountains too if that's your current calling. Gonna see some awesome scenery, glaciers, and trails in Glacier NP.

And, how about Yellowstone NP that has great diversity that doesn't receive enough mention on WB?

These places are epic and who can definitely say how they may change or aspects of them be gone with some of the current Federal changes in policy!

Reno - Lone Pine is easy.
    Yosemite - Reno not so easy.
    Yosemite - LAX harder.
    In recent memory, someone posted a concise and comprehensive JMT transportation scheme. Search should find it.
    Wayne

A bit of a ramble, but Dogwood has a valid point.
    From Mt. Robson Provincial Park to the Gila Wilderness, there are several lifetimes of trails along the Continental Divide.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Post #3. It’s SOBO. Maybe you can reverse it.
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...Summer-of-2018
    Wayne

Post #3. It’s SOBO. Perhaps you can reverse the itinerary.
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...Summer-of-2018
    Wayne

Images

Salty - There is a bus from Reno to Lone Pine. It picks you up right at the airport. See here...

https://www.estransit.com/routes-sch...-pine-to-reno/

I've taken that bus out of Lone Pine to Reno, not too bad of a day for a bus.

I've also rented a car at the Reno airport and driven it to the Mammoth airport one way. That is a lot faster and gives you more control. I then hitched out from the airport (to Toulumne). The hitch took some time but I still made it from Boston to the hikers campground at Toulouse all in one day.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yosemite - LAX harder.
    Piece of cake. Amtrak.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The West is a BIG and diverse place to organize everything from a desert, coastal, mountain, forest, large lake, active volcano, etc mixed experiences hike. Darn, Olympic NP in itself can be a coastal, mountain, and rain forest hike. Plus, getting there is another scenic experience possibly more worthy than flying into Reno, LAX, SAC etc and getting to the JMT.

Darn, depending on time frame one could get in a Wonderland Tr thru followed up by jumping over to the practically adjacent WA PCT.
    I thought about WT but too short...great idea by adding some of pct! Timeframe would likely be mid September so cooler, no bugs and less people......also thought about something like Coffee did by doing HST then JMT nobo...same reason why you did JMT 5x.....Sierra is the most incredible place I’ve seen. Just recently have watched a few vids from pct in Washington...looks amazing also! So many choices! I suppose I could start the pct at border after WT head south for week and see how far I go....

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Salty - There is a bus from Reno to Lone Pine. It picks you up right at the airport. See here...

https://www.estransit.com/routes-sch...-pine-to-reno/

I've taken that bus out of Lone Pine to Reno, not too bad of a day for a bus.

I've also rented a car at the Reno airport and driven it to the Mammoth airport one way. That is a lot faster and gives you more control. I then hitched out from the airport (to Toulumne). The hitch took some time but I still made it from Boston to the hikers campground at Toulouse all in one day.
    Y I used ESTA last time from LP to Reno....Still a ways out....so many options and trails!

From Mt. Robson Provincial Park to the Gila Wilderness, there are several lifetimes of trails along the Continental Divide.
    Have fun!
    Wayne
    Yea I agree.......a ways out so will start looking at all the options....

Have fun!
    Wayne
    Yea I agree.......a ways out so will start looking at all the options....

Journal Entries

Or pct south from Tahoe to yosemite
    Uncrowded
    Easy forest service permit . Not online though, by mail.
    200 mi / 2 wks and end in tuolumne/Yosemite again.

Adds another chnk of pct if chip away at that.

Or tahoe-yosemite trail ( non pct) is less trodden.

Or sections of Sierra high route. Or Big SeKi loop route, Etc. Or Theodore Solomons Trail.

To be honest some of the JMT is blah, compared to SEKI.
    Not as spectacular as jmt, but north yosemite is more remote less used
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-21-2018 at 20:49.

Don't relegate yourself to named ABC trails and routes or standard ways of doing a hike and the oportunities to individually design a hike are endless...in the Sierra alone. It's not that hard to piece together trails either for all or part of a hike. One of the most common obstacles is a personal unwillingness to put aside utmost perceived convenience of a named publicly known trail or route with a guidebook and mega infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    Piece of cake. Amtrak.
    Can you elaborate please.
    A friend of mine is currently on a train-bus-train trip to Sacramento from LA. Taking all day and half the night.
    Wayne

Meanwhile,
    Folks keep flying over the middle of the country. Making noise in the Rockies. Grinning.
    Go figure.
    Wayne

FWIW, every one of those five JMT thrus were done differently and each one invloved wandering off the JMT and/or the JMT was only part of a longer hike. And, it didn't always involve notorious named trails or routes. Why? I too love the Sierra and to truly experience it I knew just relegating myself to the JMT was being ingenuous to truly experiencing this region.

Another thing was that every one of those JMT thrus were not my only Sierra visits. In between each JMT thru were different Sierra hikes.

This may be ignored or unknown especially by those not familiar with the Sierras like east coast oriented hikers but the Sierra is a much larger geographic area than just the JMT, Y NP, or SEKI. This is significant to understand if you want to say "I love the Sierras."

A prime example are those who say they are experienced with the Sierras yet have never wandered off trail or stood under a Giant Sequoia.

Can you elaborate please.
    Sure. LA Union Station to Yosemite Valley.
    https://www.amtrak.com/home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++