WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    Sure. LA Union Station to Yosemite Valley.
    https://www.amtrak.com/home
    It's a long trip. I wouldn't sugar coat it.

Bus to Bakersfield
    Train to Merced
    Bus to yosemite

Plan a day.

I took train from Bakersfield to Merced. It's mirror image of SFO (Richmond) to Merced. Other half of that daily route on San Joaquin. Flying to sfo, is closer and like skipping the bus ride from lax to Bakersfield.

But the worst thing about a day of travel like that is there's no place and nothing to eat. Except what's in your travel pack. You might get a microwave hot dog on the train.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-21-2018 at 22:48.

Amen MuddyWaters!
    You have to be on an early flight to LAX. Total time is listed as 12-13 hours. Lots of busses.
    Flying to/from Fresno makes more sense.
    Like I said: Harder than Reno.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sure. LA Union Station to Yosemite Valley.
    https://www.amtrak.com/home
    It's a long trip. I wouldn't sugar coat it.

Bus to Bakersfield
    Train to Merced
    Bus to yosemite

Plan a day.

But the worst thing about a day of travel like that is there's no place and nothing to eat. Except what's in your travel pack. You might get a microwave hot dog on the train.
    Are you kidding? Have you forgetten about all this gourmet cuisine they have on the train?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Are you kidding? Have you forgetten about all this gourmet cuisine they have on the train?
    the San Joaquin. Its a commuter train.

Microwave hot dog, chips, candy bar. And darn glad to have that. I had two hot dogs and a Snickers.

Actually arrange my trip so I would stay at the Yosemite bug in Mariposa in order to have a good meal that day. Instead of getting to Yosemite at 9 at night nothing to eat and having to set up in The Backpacker Campground. The yarts stops at Yosemite bugs driveway and picks up there at 7 a.m. Next morning. Easy. Except that the driveway is about a quarter-mile long and slightly uphill.

I don't think you should push yourself too hard on travel days. They are part of your vacation too. And they can be a very good part if you let them. After the JMT I spent several days just laying around the hotel in Lone Pine. Ate at every restaurant in town and talk to lots of other hikers bikers etc and caught up on some reading. Took in local stuuf. Lone Pine has a relaxed vibe.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-22-2018 at 00:18.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I thought about WT but too short..
    You believe that because you're limiting yourself by being in cookie cutter and named ABC trail mode. You could change the way you're approaching finding a suitable west coast hike for Sept to a more encompassing one. FWIW, IMHO that is one the most wonderful things about hiking you can get to do it your way, you determine the rules, ...design a hike that has never been done exactly like you're going to do it. You get to expand beyond the box, challenge all sorts of mental comfort zones, to be a critical thinker to have unscripted adventure.

If you're going to start in Yosemite, and you've already done the JMT, forget that and hike the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_...f_the_Tuolumne

Images

Soooooo many options, but in any case, Reno really does seem to be a very convenient place to fly in to and out of, and SW airlines flies there.

I hate to add yet another option, but have you considered a hybrid Sierra High Route / JMT trek going northbound? The "normal" SHR includes a bit of the JMT, but you can add even more if you want. I've hiked the JMT three times now (well, two halves and one whole), and the non-JMT part of the SHR blows the JMT away in terms of raw beauty and isolation and well, pretty much everything. You have to be comfortable with some scrambling in a few places, but nothing at all desperate. Three particular places stand out: Thunderbolt Pass (a variation of the "standard) SHR), Darwin Bench, and the Minaret Lakes area. All three areas can be reached from the standard JMT pretty easily. By the way, when off the JMT along the SHR, I don't think we saw a half a dozen people the entire time (two weeks). We owned the best part of the Sierra. We joked, one day when we were on the JMT for a few miles, we counted 40 people (heading SOBO, we were NOBO) in two hours one morning.

We're going to go back next year (2019) for another SHR, but with a variation or two.

Again, so many options, it's overwhelming. If you consider the SHR, I have a complete detailed GPS track of our entire route, our actual track. We were following one we found online, but our's varied a bit here and there.

PS: don't confuse the SHR with the High Sierra Trail, two different things, the SHR is a "route", you're off trail well over half of the time. As such, daily mileage suffers quite a bit, a 12-14 mile day off-trail along the SHR is a pretty good day. Along the JMT proper, you can make much higher MPD if you want, but I don't recommend flying through that trail, too much to gawk at!

I
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Yea I agree.......a ways out so will start looking at all the options....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How many miles are just right?
    Wayne

If you're going to start in Yosemite, and you've already done the JMT, forget that and hike the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_...f_the_Tuolumne
    SHHHH! I've opened up about this too much too.

Skurka has the bestSHR mapset I've ever seen or used at a fantastically affordable price.

HST is damn nice too especially if you tack it on to a longer hike in line with your timeframe. You get a chance to stand next to Giant redwoods too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Same here about other favorites of mine.
    Not any more.
    Wayne

It's not exactly a secret! :-)

HST is damn nice too especially if you tack it on to a longer hike in line with your timeframe. You get a chance to stand next to Giant redwoods too.
    Any logistics tips for getting to trailhead @ HST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Amtrak Visalia

Sequoia shuttle to park

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++