WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wireless Coverage Everywhere -Maybe

In the future you might be able to get wireless coverage just about everywhere on the trail. This company is working on making airplanes in flight into wireless nodes providing wireless coverage almost every place. Sounds too good to be true but maybe it will work.

http://www.airbornewirelessnetwork.com/index.asp
    Last edited by TexasBob; 02-21-2018 at 11:49.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

"Airplanes in flight", i.e. overhead jet traffic noise---has ruined the Southern Appalachians and Southeast wilderness areas. The noise is often so bad that I've considered hanging up this sport we call backpacking and living outdoors. I bring earplugs on all my trips and sadly have to wear them in camp on many occasions.

Pic taken on a backpacking trip near Cheoah Bald on AT.

Point is, full cell coverage is in my opinion is never going to be worth this constant noise pollution.

I’ve seen the tv ads for about 6 months.
    If it works. When it works. How much are Verizon or AT&T going to charge for the service?
    Wayne

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    "Airplanes in flight", i.e. overhead jet traffic noise---has ruined the Southern Appalachians and Southeast wilderness areas. The noise is often so bad that I've considered hanging up this sport we call backpacking and living outdoors. I bring earplugs on all my trips and sadly have to wear them in camp on many occasions. Point is, full cell coverage is in my opinion is never going to be worth this constant noise pollution.
    This is an issue over so many so-called wilderness areas, and national parks as well. (Planes are inescapable over Rocky Mountain NP and most the parks along the Hayduke in Utah.) It's peculiar we fret about ground garbage when it's exhaust doing most the damage to our little habitat. But it's the constant noise pollution I loathe, not to mention the contrails ruining so many potentially good photos. I go backpacking to (try to) escape cell coverage.

Images

"Airplanes in flight", i.e. overhead jet traffic noise---has ruined the Southern Appalachians and Southeast wilderness areas. The noise is often so bad that I've considered hanging up this sport we call backpacking and living outdoors. I bring earplugs on all my trips and sadly have to wear them in camp on many occasions.

Point is, full cell coverage is in my opinion is never going to be worth this constant noise pollution.
    I hear ya on the air traffic, but maybe hike elsewhere under skies with much, much less air traffic? Just a random thought. Some places in Colorado, way out in the boonies, are right smack under heavy air traffic, but head north or south 50 miles and the skies might be virtually empty. I suspect Wyoming and Montana might have fairly empty skies. And then there's Canada, eh? Or Northern VT, NH or Maine? Just rambling.

And why do we need this complete, uninterrupted cell coverage for again? Yeah, I'm being cynical.

Given that probably 95% of the population is in cell coverage 99.999999% of the time, I'm curious about the reason or economics of this little scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    This is an issue over so many so-called wilderness areas, and national parks as well. (Planes are inescapable over Rocky Mountain NP and most the parks along the Hayduke in Utah.) It's peculiar we fret about ground garbage when it's exhaust doing most the damage to our little habitat. But it's the constant noise pollution I loathe, not to mention the contrails ruining so many potentially good photos. I go backpacking to (try to) escape cell coverage.
    Uriah---YOU GET IT.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I hear ya on the air traffic, but maybe hike elsewhere under skies with much, much less air traffic? Just a random thought.
    It's very hard to find "elsewhere" in the Southeast mountains of Virginia, Georgia, TN and NC. (And this video was taken 10 years ago---so expect a 50% increase in air traffic)---

I heard a plane once in awhile in the WRR. Not as many as I heard north of Leadville, but both places had overhead air traffic.
    I don’t recall hearing aircraft in the Conejos River drainage in southern Colorado.
    Wayne

I suppose something like this is inevitable, but really, who care? If we can't go hiking in the wilderness without worrying about who might be calling or sending us a text, maybe we should rethink our desire to hike. I read a post a few days ago about a guy who could not get a consistent cell phone signal. He got off the trail. That's right. He quit. Good for him. One less person who is going to pass me when I'm hiking.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

It's very hard to find "elsewhere" in the Southeast mountains of Virginia, Georgia, TN and NC. (And this video was taken 10 years ago---so expect a 50% increase in air traffic)---
    Of course I was NOT talking about those states. I was talking about the upper west and far northeast, and of course that little country tucked away up there, er, Canada. Don't wanna fly and add to the "problem"? Hitchhike.

Journal Entries

Some people feel the need to detach from society, so they head to man made trails, and stay at pre-made campsites and shelters, and usually sporting about a 1000 of dollars of high tech lightweight gear. These people want to get away from society so no cell phones near them please, that would disturb them too much.

Really a great idea, and hopefully this will lead to better and cheaper broadband on flights as you are on yoru way to your detachment from society.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I suppose something like this is inevitable, but really, who care? If we can't go hiking in the wilderness without worrying about who might be calling or sending us a text, maybe we should rethink our desire to hike. I read a post a few days ago about a guy who could not get a consistent cell phone signal. He got off the trail. That's right. He quit. Good for him. One less person who is going to pass me when I'm hiking.
    I heard about that guy who bailed due to failed cell service. Bugging out is a common backpacker's plight, for various reasons. Too cold, too wet, too dry, too green, too brown, too buggy, too windy, too steep etc. I call them the Just Right Folks.

And thanks be to Buddha but there are still open places on the map where no cell signal can reach.

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

I switched to Verizon to get better coverage but I will have my phone off most of the time. Enough time in towns to stay connected. But I have a separate camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Forget the airplane based or cell tower broadband internet. It's going to be offered by satellites high in orbit:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fresh-off-f...ry?id=53250792

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Some people feel the need to detach from society, so they head to man made trails, and stay at pre-made campsites and shelters, and usually sporting about a 1000 of dollars of high tech lightweight gear. These people want to get away from society so no cell phones near them please, that would disturb them too much.
    Being able to temporarily escape The Matrix is important. Why complain about the technology someone chooses to bring with them? It's the technology others impose on us that is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Forget the airplane based or cell tower broadband internet. It's going to be offered by satellites high in orbit:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fresh-off-f...ry?id=53250792
    Sounds like another Iridium project, only decades later.

Images

Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-21-2018 at 22:24.

Bull Roar...

Journal Entries

There is NO doubt there will be wireless coverage everywhere one day. If we can do it without cutting roads onto areas and building unsightly towers......well, that might just be a positive side to it.

Takes higher powered , more $$$ handsets to talk to satellites. But getting smaller. I had to carry a SAT phone for work 2 yrs ago. only 8 oz. In addition to two other phones though. It sucked.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-22-2018 at 00:52.

"Airplanes in flight", i.e. overhead jet traffic noise---has ruined the Southern Appalachians and Southeast wilderness areas. The noise is often so bad that I've considered hanging up this sport we call backpacking and living outdoors. I bring earplugs on all my trips and sadly have to wear them in camp on many occasions..........
    About thirty years ago I was backpacking in Arkansas in the Ouachita mountains when several A-10's showed up and started practicing low level maneuvers. We up on the ridge and they were flying below us in and out of the valley and then up over the top of the ridge. They were close enough at times you could see the pilot. That was loud.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

It's very hard to find "elsewhere" in the Southeast mountains of Virginia, Georgia, TN and NC.
    Atlanta is the busiest airport on planet Earth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++