WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Denied..

Default Denied..

Denial #1...many more to come

Images

I assume you're talking about your permit, sorry about that.

Go northbound, using an alternative start place, like Cottonwood Lakes (?). Or flip/flop from Bishop. Or go in mid-late September, do something just a tad different and you should be able to hike the JMT this year.

Think outside the SOBO HI - Whitney box. NOBO is much easier to get and, in my opinion, a better way to go regardless.

Yes, getting a permit to go NOBO is a cake walk compared to SOBO. I secured my permit for August in about 10 minutes online.

Don't waste effort on complaining. Break the mold. Wow, I'm inspired by the creative innovative thinkers.

Oh we already have about 10 alternate routes in the works! We ARE hiking it this year and I'm not picky about how we do it or where we start. Flip flopping from Reds Meadow seems like a champ of a plan...

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I feel your pain. It's so hard to make trip plans in CA nowadays; you have to have a B & C plan. I once tried to get a permit for Half Dome & was denied 6xs before I opted for the walk-up option mid week mid summer. Just keep coming up w/ other feasible itineraries in your mind.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    Oh we already have about 10 alternate routes in the works! We ARE hiking it this year and I'm not picky about how we do it or where we start. Flip flopping from Reds Meadow seems like a champ of a plan...
    Exactly what I did......flew into mammoth via LAX...2 easy permits no crowds....

Cinnamon bear inn gave me a ride with stay to devils pp headed nobo to happy isles caught bus back to mammoth next day weather was terrible so took zero and back to devils headed sobo...only one resupply needed at MTR.....sept was awesome....I might go nobo mid September this year if don’t have time for CT....September is definitely best time....less people and zero bugs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just day 1. You have what, 20 more? I got my confirmation last year after about 10 days of denials. You never know....
    It is what it is.

Denial #1...many more to come

Bet you weren't able to lose your virginity when you first tried. What did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Exactly what I did......flew into mammoth via LAX...2 easy permits no crowds....

Cinnamon bear inn gave me a ride with stay to devils pp headed nobo to happy isles caught bus back to mammoth next day weather was terrible so took zero and back to devils headed sobo...only one resupply needed at MTR.....sept was awesome....I might go nobo mid September this year if don’t have time for CT....September is definitely best time....less people and zero bugs...

Good info. We were hoping you'd chime in since we knew you did the same thing. If we don't get the perfect Happy Isles permit we'll flip I think

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I feel your pain. It's so hard to make trip plans in CA nowadays; you have to have a B & C plan. I once tried to get a permit for Half Dome & was denied 6xs before I opted for the walk-up option mid week mid summer. Just keep coming up w/ other feasible itineraries in your mind.
    I've never had an issue getting permits in California. Forget Happy Isles. The traditional JMT trip is from Mt. Whitney to the LeConte Memorial Lodge in Yosemite.

What the heck, start at Kennedy Meadows and get a few bonus days of hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    I've never had an issue getting permits in California. Forget Happy Isles. The traditional JMT trip is from Mt. Whitney to the LeConte Memorial Lodge in Yosemite.

What the heck, start at Kennedy Meadows and get a few bonus days of hiking.
    Definitely an option. We were talking about starting at Kennedy Meadows and just walking until we ran out of time

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    It's just day 1. You have what, 20 more? I got my confirmation last year after about 10 days of denials. You never know....
    Someone has to get the permits... keep trying and it just might be you.
    I got my HI to WP permit in 2016 on my 11th day trying.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Someone has to get the permits... keep trying and it just might be you.
    I got my HI to WP permit in 2016 on my 11th day trying.
    Nowadays you submit 3 weeks at one time and they reenter you in the lottery automatically every day.

I got mine when their fax machine busted and I called them when no faxes were getting thru. Just slipped right in the back door.

Definitely an option. We were talking about starting at Kennedy Meadows and just walking until we ran out of time
    Ir's a terrific hike. Takes you from sagebrush meadows up to the land of foxtail pines. Along the way you could take a short side trip to Olancha Peak, the Queen of the Southern Sierra. You can camp at Death Canyon! And from there take another short side trip to Cartago Peak. You could have a fun day scrambling around on the numberless third class spires up there.

It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Think outside the SOBO HI - Whitney box. NOBO is much easier to get and, in my opinion, a better way to go regardless.
    Hi Coffee and saltysack
    Both of you did a flip flop out of Reds Meadow. You had a really good post earlier detailing which trail heads you used from Reds Meadow/Devils Post Pile areas for permit applications. I cannot find that post for some reason, can you link that post or advise on this thread?

For anybody else who wants to chime in I am thinking we will go from Reds Meadow -> Happy Isles then flop back to Reds Meadow -> Whitney. Specifically I'm looking for advice on permits and trail heads to consider.

Thanks in advance

I believe both were from Inyo national forest. I flew into Mammoth and picked up permits onsite.....two separate permits. Technically first my permit was from devils to T meadows but kept on trucking to LYV....

hipbone, I didn't do a flip flop, but I did start a hike from the Red's Mammoth area last year. I day hiked from Lake George over Mammoth Pass to Red's, spent the night in a hiker cabin, and then hiked NOBO on the PCT to near Rush Creek (shortly before Donohue Pass). My permit was for the High Trail which starts at Agnew Meadows. I asked the Rangers if it was legit to day hike to Red's the day prior to my permit date, and if it was legit to hike from Red's to Agnew Meadow the morning of my permit date before my "backpacking" trip started and they said sure. Inyo is pretty flexible.

If you are flip flopping from Red's itself and want to do a "kosher" JMT hike, I think that the Devil's Postpile Permit is the one you want, but there are a lot of other options.

For NOBO: https://www.recreation.gov/entranceD...ranceId=315543
    For SOBO: https://www.recreation.gov/permits/J...56&entryType=1

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    hipbone, I didn't do a flip flop, but I did start a hike from the Red's Mammoth area last year. I day hiked from Lake George over Mammoth Pass to Red's, spent the night in a hiker cabin, and then hiked NOBO on the PCT to near Rush Creek (shortly before Donohue Pass). My permit was for the High Trail which starts at Agnew Meadows. I asked the Rangers if it was legit to day hike to Red's the day prior to my permit date, and if it was legit to hike from Red's to Agnew Meadow the morning of my permit date before my "backpacking" trip started and they said sure. Inyo is pretty flexible.

If you are flip flopping from Red's itself and want to do a "kosher" JMT hike, I think that the Devil's Postpile Permit is the one you want, but there are a lot of other options.

For NOBO: https://www.recreation.gov/entranceD...ranceId=315543
    For SOBO: https://www.recreation.gov/permits/J...56&entryType=1
    Yep

++ New Posts ++