WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Article: John M. Shores, “Uncle Johnny”

AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Great AT Hostel. Uncle Johnny went out of his way several times for this person. His stop on an AT 2006 NOBO was one of the most memorable that spring and summer. It's people like Uncle Johnny that complete the AT experience. Yes, he was larger than life. I emmensely enjoyed having him relate his diving experiences. Who would have thought on a LD AT hike I would have learned about diving and several new tropical reef fish species. All the little hiking stuff in the front office he had on hand from knowing what visitors wanted was insightful. I ate two frozen Snickers he sold I was so captivated by him relating his experiences. The pic of him in his hat was the way I always saw him.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just saw this, as I've been off WB for a few weeks. Another trail legend leaves us to "walk the higher hills." I know the trail is dynamic, just like life, and pieces of the puzzle fall out and are replaced even while we walk, but I regret that when I finally get around to my thru-hike, I won't see Uncle Johnny's mug welcoming me to the hostel. RIP, fellow woodsman.

++ New Posts ++