WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Newbie hammock guy....tarps

Looking at the HG cuben hex tarp vs tarp w doors....so many choices....curious why they don’t use micro line locks on hammock tarps like most ground shelters....all the Dutch gear is confusing the hell out of me! Any tarp input appreciated! Most use in south east fall to spring in cool to cold weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the reason I don’t use line locks on my Zpacks cuben hammock hex tarp is to save weight, due to cuben not experiencing stretching like sil nylon does.

For tarp hardware, I would just get a pair of Dutch Flyz or Stingers for the end tie-outs with to 12’ lengths of Zing-It line. Corner tie-outs get 7’ lengths of Lawson glowire with Dutch Tapeworms.

I was was initially overwhelmed with all the hardware options, but a couple of hours with Shug’s YouTube channel cleared things up.

I use minimal hardware for my tarp ridgeline and none on my stake lines. Hardware isn't necessary.

However if you prefer to use hardware, Jaxx Drinkwater has a pretty sweet looking system for his tarp stake out lines, using some Z-Packs hardware. Check his videos on YT if interested.

Images

I use a ridgeline with a dutch hook & a stinger. The tarp is attached to the ridgeline with prusik knots. My tarp is a hammock gear cuben fiber winter palace and my stakes are titanium from dutch gear.

Default Newbie hammock guy....tarps

I have same tarp and set up identical to T-Rex

i use a continuous ridge line system no hardware. use braided surveyors twine(hollow core braid not the twisted stuff). make a fixed loop on one end using a locked brummel. so around the first tree through the fixed loop go to other tree wrap around tree and use a truckers hitch to tension.

then make 2 continuous loops and 2 soft shackles with the twine. finally attach the tarp to the prussics with the soft shackels and adjust the tarp to where you want along the ridgeline.

for the tie outs i use a small shock cord loop to each corner of the tarp then make up the tie out lines from more of the twine with fix loops at one end attach the looped end to the shock cord loop and the other goes around the stake to a truckers hitch. tension the line so the shock cord is tight and the shock cord will self adjust for stretch of the wet sil nylon in the case of rain...

no hardware super light super cheap and i use a high vis color of twine and have not had any issues, the knots quickly become 2nd nature

Great...thx for sharing....I joined hammock forums but first time I opened it I got that same feeling I get when I step into a SUPER Wally World......overwhelmed!!!

I haven't been into hammocks long but I just love my Hammock Gear CF Winter Palace with doors. I got it for use with my hammock but also because it can be easily used on the ground too. I added the ZPacks linelocks with their yellow cord which works great.

I also like the privacy and weather protection of the larger tarp.

The simplest set-up I found was actually having two ridgeline ties vs the Continuous ridgeline (never could get it tight). The snakeskins are awesome too for ease of putting up and packing away

Agree with DuneElliot that two separate ridgelines are the ultimate in simplicity. I use ridgelines (each 10 ft red 1.75mm Zing-It) with Fleaz and Dutch Hooks. Less bulk and line to tangle when stored, easy to setup, better ability to make the tarp as tight or loose as you want it.

The Fleaz is on a small loop that is larks headed to to tarp while the Dutch Hook is attached to the 10 foot of Zing-It. Simple, easy, and one of the lightest configurations that can be counted on. Hammock Forums has a thread discussing this.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Great...thx for sharing....I joined hammock forums but first time I opened it I got that same feeling I get when I step into a SUPER Wally World......overwhelmed!!!

Hi, I'd suggest two places to research. Get a copy of "The Ultimate Hang 2" (version two of a very well done, easy to understand, all things hammock book).
    Then check out some of Shugs videos. He is very entertaining and you can find everything for hammocks plus more.
    Here is a link to his YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27...zD9YHK1IFwG7qA

Line locks. I use small ones on all the corners of most of my tarps, CF included. I have some Dutch hardware on the ridge line. For the four corners, I have small plastic line locks, Larks headed to the four corners of the tarp. The lock then has zing-it thru it and the "away" end has a loop in it. I just stick the stake in the ground, pull the zing-it over to it, stick the loop over it. Then from under the tarp (very handing when it is raining), i just pull and "lock" the line to adjust and tension it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Looking at the HG cuben hex tarp vs tarp w doors....so many choices....curious why they don’t use micro line locks on hammock tarps like most ground shelters....all the Dutch gear is confusing the hell out of me! Any tarp input appreciated! Most use in south east fall to spring in cool to cold weather...

Learn to tie a taut line hitch and you won't need any hardware at all. You're spending big bucks buying a lightweight tarp. Don't add unnecessary weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Learn to tie a taut line hitch and you won't need any hardware at all. You're spending big bucks buying a lightweight tarp. Don't add unnecessary weight.
    i like that better than the truckers hitch thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    i like that better than the truckers hitch thanks...
    Truckers hitch is my go to when you really don't want slippage. sometimes if the cord's really slippery, a taut line hitch won't hold.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Assume you tie the tautline hitch off directly to tarp with some kind of simple loop for stake at other end of guy line?

I used a HG hex tarp with stingers for the ridgeline tie outs and larks headed 4 fleaz to the corners and had 5 or 6 feet tied to my stakes.

Never used the pull outs

I was also a big fan of the hardware because I don’t like fussing with knots; especially after a 20 mile day.

But knowing how to do a taut line hitch is super useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I used a HG hex tarp with stingers for the ridgeline tie outs and larks headed 4 fleaz to the corners and had 5 or 6 feet tied to my stakes.

Never used the pull outs

You have any pics?

I use 1 StingerZ, 1 Dutch Hook for my Ridgeline....Dutch Tarp Worms larksheaded to the edge tie downs.

Example:

Dutch TarpWorms

You have any pics?

No close ups. I mean what do you really want to see?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++