WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

OP here....not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up getting some Bedrock Cairn Pro 3d. The had a sale running when they first released this new model at the beginning of the month.... I haven't worn them a lot yet, but i think I'm going to like them. I don't know yet if I'll use them as a primary backpacking shoe, but hiking for sure.

I was mostly on the fence about the strap over the toes versus between.... I like the flip flop style but figured for a camping shoe there might be times socks would be good. Well, after many of the comments here, and a lot of other reading I figured the thong style would probably be more stable on the foot for hiking, and the strap over the foot might be more restrictive to natural foot 'spread'

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    OP here....not that anyone probably cares, but I ended up getting some Bedrock Cairn Pro 3d. The had a sale running when they first released this new model at the beginning of the month.... I haven't worn them a lot yet, but i think I'm going to like them. I don't know yet if I'll use them as a primary backpacking shoe, but hiking for sure.

I was mostly on the fence about the strap over the toes versus between.... I like the flip flop style but figured for a camping shoe there might be times socks would be good. Well, after many of the comments here, and a lot of other reading I figured the thong style would probably be more stable on the foot for hiking, and the strap over the foot might be more restrictive to natural foot 'spread'
    I use regular socks with my bedrocks all the time.

Thanks for the update. I wear socks with sandals in the winter.

Journal Entries

I wear sock wih sandals for extended water/sand/gravel. Basically hiking in flowing streams. A shake of foot washes the sand and pebbles away. Theres frequent small pebbles undefoot, but never need to stop and remove shoes, etc

Without socks the sand will rub you raw in a few miles.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-18-2018 at 01:28.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'll add this, as I've mentioned before I've "day hiked" quite a bit in my flip flops. The only problems I've really had there have been on hills because my foot isn't firmly attached and want to slide out ...
    that's one of the advantages of sandals vs. flip flops. The heal strap keeps your feet in them. you can also quickly adjust them to be tighter or looser depending on the terrain, how your foot feels, etc. just like laces on the trail runners. I've done all sorts of terrain in mine, everything from flat ground to rock scrambling to those "baby-head" stone trails that you don't see anything resembling a flat surface for miles. yes, a stick can get you if you are careless, but it doesn't happen all that often. otherwise they are about the same as trail runners but with better breathability...

Got this link in an email "newsletter" I received from Bedrock Sandals.
    thought of this thread....and other folks that might have questions similar to what I had....
    https://bedrocksandals.com/blogs/adv...eid=b75253594e

check out "Evan hikes", he finished a thru hike of the AT this past September or August. Hiked the entire trail in sandals.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

I was a big fan of Evan's. Sad that he has said he has no plans to post any more hiking vids. I found his youtube channel while learning about the BMT, and have watched most all of what he's posted.

his youtube channel name
    Evan's Backpacking Videos

Tried Chacos for a week on the Appalachian Trail. In the summer. When the straps are pulled down tight, they were fine for several hours. I began to get hot spots on the sole of my feet. I wore toe socks and smart wool socks over them. When I got them wet, my feet cooled off and everything was fine. I had to rewet them. In Virginia walking over the large rocks, I began to feel the terrain. At that point I put on my boots and everthing was fine. Frankly Brooks Cascadia with the reinforced foot sole have been fantastic (as long as you do not twist your ankle). If you are young and fit, my advice is to wear trail runners with a reinforced sole.

i hiked from Dickey's gap to Damascus in crocs. They were my camp shoes. I was having terrible pain on the sides of my ankles(that I didn't know at the time was the onset of a pretty severe case of RMSF) and just couldn't wear my boots. It was crocs or barefoot. It wasn't that bad and was at times really liberating. It also really sold me on the value of ultralight footwear for fatigue

I hiked the Camino in Tevas... the Terra Fi 4s "all-terrain sandals" to be exact.

These were awesome for on-road, off-road, dry, wet, and snowy conditions. I always wore socks (Injinjis or Darn Toughs) and when the weather was wet and/or snowy I layered Sealskinz socks over them. Never had cold or wet feet. YMMV.

Does hiking in sandals reduce the chance of getting athlete's foot fungus? I would think it would, but am curious if people who've actually tried it have found it to be that way.

I do carry some Teva sandals as camp shoes and as an alternative walk in if necessary. Not had to do it yet. I wear a trail shoe. The great danger is a foot injury on a rock or similar- something you would be ok with in a trail shoe or boot. A hike buddy of mine walked a great deal of the JMT in Tevas without a problem only to have a real injury by toe-ending a fire hydrant in Lone Pine. I would say that with a couple of toe stubs, slips a day the risk of some sort of cut or minor injury is inevitable. Having said that I think the Barefoot Sisters just say you are just have to be more careful where you put your feet.

i hike in sandals as a way to air out my feet and change up the wear pattern i get with my shoes. it helps to mix it up. for me at least. i use xero shoes Z-trail sandals. they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by GankenBerry View Post
    i hike in sandals as a way to air out my feet and change up the wear pattern i get with my shoes. it helps to mix it up. for me at least. i use xero shoes Z-trail sandals. they're great.
    Glad to hear you like your Xeros. I just ordered a pair of the Xero Cloud. I'm curious to see how they are to hike in.

In this day & age, it’s not really a big deal to see sandals on the AT. When the minimalist designs happened, all traditional bets were off. For this thread, I expected to read all about Chacos, Teva’s, Keens, and maybe about Crocs. Of course those were all mentioned. And with today’s quality, I’m sure you can do nicely in most models. This past summer I saw a young man ( thru hiker, I believe) hiking along in sandals which caught my eye. They were identical to the ones I wore in college. Ever heard of the Water Buffalo sandal? Very cool looking, a flat leather bottom with a mid strap, and one toe loop. Not one ounce of cushion or protection. I laughed to myself, since I’ve not worn mine since 1972. I believe that was the same year as the Earth Shoe. The kid might have made it. I would have stubbed all toes on the first day.

I just checked, you can still get a Water Buffalo “hippie style” sandal on line. Maybe they’ll make a comeback!
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++