WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yup.....

Or you look like a Bennie on the beach in Seaside NJ.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)
    never knew the origins, very interesting, thanks DW.

I love socks and sandals, very comfortable, but I wouldn’t hike like that, everything out there wants to stick, poke, impale or slice your toes as you shuffle along.

F seaside, way to many “come at me bro” douche bags.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    F seaside, way to many “come at me bro” douche bags.
    Yeah, you got that right!
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Yes that was a lot of help. Wasn't aware of that OGL well written piece.

Bedrock Cairn & Xero Cloud

Leonidas

Check out Hike&Tell on YouTube. Sandals wore sandals last year on their thru attempt. They are trying for Katahdin again this year and he may be willing to discuss use of sandals on the AT with you.

I believe he wore Luna sandals.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I liked hiking in WP socks and Teva Terra Fi's in warm weather downpours that lasted several days on GSMNP AT section hikes and through most of ME on an AT NOBO.
    In hindsight wish I had used the same sandal in VA. It's a joy hiking in warm rain in sandals on flattish non rockish single track when so many other thrus were contending with wet shoes and blistered feet from hiking in them when wet.

On one wet warmis mixed weather early fall BMT thru WP socks and the same Terra Fi's worked well.

Tried using Keen H2's on an early starting PCT LASH NOBO highly regretting it going over an iced over Baden Powell and through a snowpacked Sierras. It was a bone headed mistake from my experience.

On a recent July Oregon Coastal Tr SOBO Thru gave serious thought to hiking in Chacon or Teva Hurricane XLT's. Could have done that no problem but the Altra worked out fine.

On several other hikes of abrasive rocky nature including some of the AT open sandals such as the Terra Fi's cut my hikes short because of damaged feet from trying to use sandals - bloody stubbed toes, ripped out toenail, incaoaciyaing blisters between toes and around the he'll strap, a twisted ankle from loss of traction directly related to the sandal's traction, etc. FWIW, from a very young age I've had very deliberate foot placement awareness. I spent much time in flip flops and sandals during summer in my youth.

Additionally, because I stubbornly and ignorantly used a glorified flip flop thong between the toes sandal on one anticipated 5 day summer AT PA backpacking hike it had to be cut short because the soles of my feet became unbearably bruised while also bruising my ankle bone.

These experiences taught me to match a sandal, if that was going to be my footwear choice, to the hike. Making generalized statements about what is or is not a good hiking sandal without noting such details is problematic.

I was trying to avoid others having similar mishaps learning from my ignorance and stubborness. This is why I've said what I've said.

I already write so much on sites like these so was hoping these considerations would be gleaned without feeling a need to write another long post.

Happy sandal hiking.

Sorry to mislead in my previous post, I run trails in Vibrams, Bedrocks, and Xero clouds, I hike in Vibrams and Brooks Cascadias. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Check out Hike&Tell on YouTube. Sandals wore sandals last year on their thru attempt. They are trying for Katahdin again this year and he may be willing to discuss use of sandals on the AT with you.

I believe he wore Luna sandals.
    Thanks for the point out. Looks like they are attempting again this year so I subscribed. I screened a couple of he videos and quickly glanced through some of the vid comments from their old posts.... My observation was that their packs might have been a bit on the heavy side for sandals. I see in the comments that she switched to shoes during the hike because of shin splint problems if I understood my quick read...and he's on the fence about sandals this time.

Seems to me that the need for more substantial shoe/boot is directly related pack weight as well as terrain/conditions.

Teva xlt don’t dry well for me . They are shaped like a plate

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    Thanks for the point out. Looks like they are attempting again this year so I subscribed. I screened a couple of he videos and quickly glanced through some of the vid comments from their old posts.... My observation was that their packs might have been a bit on the heavy side for sandals. I see in the comments that she switched to shoes during the hike because of shin splint problems if I understood my quick read...and he's on the fence about sandals this time.

Seems to me that the need for more substantial shoe/boot is directly related pack weight as well as terrain/conditions.
    There we go. This is what I've been trying to relay all along.

Is it heavy pack weight or fat weight for some ? ;0)

great discussion, thanks to all. Seems like not a lot of folks here using the Luna and Bedrock types

Well I guess I didn't make my OP clear enough.
    I was looking for input into the different styles and brands of sandals by those that use them, which I would think automatically means by people that are using them in a proper context...
    You weren't thinking that I was intending to head out with a 50 pound pack across this, were you?
    Jagged Limestone Rock Formations At Hell.jpg
    image found here http://lynx-travel.com/lynx-travel.c...29%20Index.htm, of a place called Hell, on Grand Cayman

These experiences taught me to match a sandal, if that was going to be my footwear choice, to the hike. Making generalized statements about what is or is not a good hiking sandal without noting such details is problematic.

I was trying to avoid others having similar mishaps learning from my ignorance and stubborness. This is why I've said what I've said.

I already write so much on sites like these so was hoping these considerations would be gleaned without feeling a need to write another long post.

Happy sandal hiking.

Im surprised you haven’t drowned in your own BS

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ..Seems to me that the need for more substantial shoe/boot( or sandal) is directly related pack weight as well as terrain/conditions
    Part of what Blw said is being ignored...not by me though.

Im surprised you haven’t drowned in your own BS

Thom
    Why does that matter where the wt is Thom
    ...in body wt or kit wt in regards to what is being discussed? No where on this thread I've intentionally been snarky or condescending. I've responded with civility and respect. Yet, that is what I'm receiving.

Here this Thom! I spend much more time considering deeply in context of what's being asked or espoused before ever formulating my own opinion or posting. Its called listening to others.Therefore, it's fairer to state if I'm drowning in BS in the deep end of the pool it comes from others.

"Well I guess I didn't make my OP clear enough.
    I was looking for input into the different styles and brands of sandals by those that use them,..."

You've made that clear Blw...twice.

"...which I would think automatically means by people that are using them in a proper context..."

Lollollol. That's an assumption I'm not willing to make. It's evidenced by people having a wide range of foot or other issues resulting from and exacerbated by inappropriate footwear choices for their hikes and situations. If you read my posts it's clear I'm not dissing on hiking in sandals.

Treat you sandal choices just as treating any other footwear choices, with a wide range of individually appropriate factors.

Hey, we're talking hiking here. We're not talking going barefoot. We can be spending half a day or more in footwear. It's my illusion we better get our footwear choices dialed. We have that same goal Blw.

Default Do you HIKE in sandals?

As someone who has struggled over the last few years to find the right footwear, I appreciate these threads and the people who offer honest opinions and advice. I have my 3 options currently; Sorel leather boot, merrell trail glove, and my Tevas. they all have pros and cons. I only get out for weekend or 1 week trips, so it's easy for me to pick the right gear for my hikes. I'm sure it gets much tougher and more important when you're planning a LD hike.

If you live in the Southeast, get off WB and take a hike! Spring has sprung!
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

my waterproof socks kept my feet dryer than most hikers in trail runners snow or rain
    had great traction in the snow with the vibram soles on the chaco's
    external frame pack
    biggest mileage days in sandals 55 miles in PA. 40 miles in VT. multiple 30's and 26 over the presidential range
    sandels do work for some
    those days are long gone, if i make it out to the C.T. this year or any future A.T. hikes i will be in trail runners

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++