Default SOBO LASH Lake Tahoe MM1130 to Campo mid-August - October?

Finally might have time off to do a "half" thru hike. Was thinking about avoid the crowds by going SOBO by flying into Reno mid August, catching the PCT by coming in on the Tahoe Trail at MM 1129.5 and then hiking south to Campo finishing Mid/late October.

Was wondering about:

Good timeframe to get through Sierras without tourist crowds?
    Good timeframe to hit Kennedy Meadows then south during fall?
    Typical Water situations that time of year in the desert?
    30 degree bag sufficient?
    Usual hostels/stores still open then?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you willing to pay to have a individualized pamphlet/small book published?

Good timeframe to get through Sierras without tourist crowds?

Without is subjective. Generally, after Labor Day crowds diminish substantially. Aug can be a busy time on the TRT and elsewhere. You'll be on trail with some SOBO's.

Good timeframe to hit Kennedy Meadows then south during fall?

PCTA SOBO considerations better detail this.

Typical Water situations that time of year in the desert?

Same as above but generally fewer water locations within a high convenience of the PCT tread.

30 degree bag sufficient?

Should be but it depends on how well you're able to augment your sleep system.

Usual hostels/stores still open then?

That depends on the place and exactly your arrival times to these places.

Don't confuse the two Kennedy Meadows! There's one north and one south.

Water in the desert:
    Worry about water around Lake Tahoe. You can get to the PCT going down the east or west side of the Lake. Pick the side with reliable August water.
    30 degree bag:
    Assuming you know this bag’s capability, can sleep in the bag at 25 degrees? Are you shivering in the bag at 35 degrees? Only you know if your 30 degree bag will work for you. What is the R-Value of the insulation between the bag and the ground?
    There are 30 degree bags and there are imposters.
    SOBO Trail Journals and videos might help with water sources late in the season.
    Good luck 👍!
    Wayne

Images

Look into permits now. IIRC there was a limited number of permits overlapping the Sierra starting within a certain distance of the Range.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Also, if you need a bear canister, I'm in Hershey and you can use one of mine.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

My only concern would be heading south from Kennedy Meadows South too early. September is often the hottest month in SoCal. That said, September after Labor Day in the Sierra is my favorite time of the year to hike. I'd try to aim for reaching Kennedy Meadows South the first week of October. You'll avoid the sort of snow that will stop your hike. Not that you would necessarily avoid all snow. It can snow some in September, but it's the kind that melts completely off in a few days.

My fall hike of the JMT last year was from Sept 21 to Oct 6. Had snow the first the days, about 2x more than usual that time of the year, but it wasn't hard to hike in and it had melted off shortly after I left Yosemite going SOBO. I had great weather the rest of the trip. I had some great fall colors in some of the valleys and was passed by many SOBO PCT hikers. Saw at least 10 on Mt. Whitney around noon the day I finished. Another year dumped snow on me on Sept.19th in Yosemite but it was melted off in 2 days. In 2014, I did the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail the last 2 weeks of September and once again had great weather other than a thunderstorm one late afternoon/evening that dumped rock salt size hail 1 to 2 inches deep.

Thanks for all the advice. Probably go with 20 degree bag just in case. Permit secured yesterday. I'll keep the bear vault in mind Malto. You're a great guy to even offer it up.

++ New Posts ++