WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TimOnWhiteBlaze View Post
    Ohh I don't know.... maybe it's a good idea, but it's kinda like telling your kids not to forget your goulashes and remember your coat and don't step into any puddles on your way to school... other than that it strikes me as a kind of meta-social: here we are in a social getting you ready for the big social now don't forget to behave. And if you don't you'll embarrass you father.
    it is very much needed for people that do not have a grip on trail etiquette . the trail becomes a dumping grounds down here during thru hike season and they are trying to stop the dumping of unnecessary trash along the approach and everything before neels gap where most will get their shakedown . start it at amicalola and they might stop some of the wasted time that rangers , ridgerunners , gatc and trail angels waste on following them up the trail picking up what inexperienced hikers thought they needed . hopefully this year people keep it clean and the spread of norovirus will not spread like wild fire . all the power to the rigerunners for trying to keep it clean and safe

Default Class Times Subject To Change; Shakedowns

ATC and our partners will do our best to adapt to the needs of hikers, so the times these classes are offered are subject to change. We will post any changes at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates.

The Amicalola ridgerunner and experienced hikers with the Georgia A.T. Club will assist with pack shakedowns during the day between presentations. I don't know their exact availability but I'm sure the goal is to offer them as much as possible throughout the day. But hikers need to be prepared to wait.

I've heard that most hikers have been in a hurry to hit the Trail and don't want to hang around long.

If there are any 2018 hikers on this thread, I would advise you to build some extra time into your schedules to take advantage of this pretty incredible service.

In the long run, you will probably gain time and increase your chances of success. There's probably no better return for the time you spend with experienced hikers at the beginning of your journey. If you can drop your pack weight by just a few pounds (shedding duplicate or unnecessary items), it will make a huge difference. And, at Amicalola Falls, there are trash cans, or you might have family who can take your extras back home. You're not only helping yourself, but the trail experience for others if it prevents you from dumping an item on the Trail or at a shelter when you're in desperation mode.

Conversely, there are probably some hikers who might learn they are missing an essential item: a warm enough bag (temps will definitely be below freezing in Georgia in February, March, and beyond, and can be approaching zero or even below in the Smokies), sunscreen (Georgia before leaf-out is the area thru-hikers are most likely to get sunburned), or earplugs. Correctly those mistakes at the beginning can help avoid major unpleasantness or even misery. Amicalola Falls Visitor Center carries some items; if you need serious gear, there are outfitters within an hour's drive.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    If there are any 2018 hikers on this thread, I would advise you to build some extra time into your schedules to take advantage of this pretty incredible service.
    While I'm not optimistic about how much this will help - the starters with unrealistic ideas about the Trail also have unrealistic ideas about their own preparedness - this is indeed a wonderful offer. Anything that will help get the newbies up to speed will be at least some help!

Don't be discouraged about the response you get here. The folks here like to hear themselves talk.

I'd probably respond to a pack shakedown with "no thank you, my pack sees entirely too much bumping and shaking as it is," but after half a century of going on clueless weekends, I have my pack reasonably dialed in for my hiking style. It's heavier than some, but I use the stuff I bring. Moreover, I don't need anyone else reading the labels on my prescriptions or going through my "none of your business what else is in my pack." I've never attempted a thru, the longest I've gone on one vacation is about 140 miles. Still, that was long enough that I surely understand that everything I bring, I have to carry (plus some amount of other people's stuff because I almost always tote out a bag of trash), and that I had better have everything I need.

If I had to sit through a few hours of 'Hiking 101' as condition of getting a permit or something, that'd be fine, I like sitting around listening to hikers talk about hiking. And I suspect that's coming, because people do overestimate their own preparedness and instituting a requirement may well be the only way to get them in.
    if it prevents you from dumping an item on the Trail or at a shelter when you're in desperation mode
    I think the only gear items I've "dumped" in the last decade or so were a pair of skivvies that a porcupine stole out of my tent vestibule - no idea where he took those! - and a pair of brand new gaiters that I spaced out and left hanging on a peg at The Hemlocks lean-to. (One of Cosmo's buddies found them, and they sold at the AMC gear auction.) Neither was intentionally abandoned gear, and I missed them both for the rest of the respective trips! It isn't much fun to chafe, or get snow down your boots!

Conversely, there are probably some hikers who might learn they are missing an essential item.
    Such as a trowel. Or some soap. I'd put those ahead of items you list, since those two are about not making other people sick. If everyone used them more often, there wouldn't be annual epidemics on the trail, and let's give thanks that it's norovirus and not typhoid or cholera!

Anyway, thanks for all you people do!
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 02-23-2018 at 11:01. Reason: system garbled the quotes on the first try
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Another Kevin,

Love your examples of trowel and soap. Of course we will be promoting those things, glad you are too :-) I guess I didn't want to give the impression that the courses were focused only on Leave No Trace. Inevitably, some will assume learning more about Leave No Trace is something they don't need--OK, I'll pick up my trash, got it. (Of course, in reality, it's all leave no trace, since "Plan Ahead and Prepare" covers just about everything in making the right choices for what goes in your pack.)

If anyone is interested in more in-depth course before they start, here are some additional options:

Flip Flop Festival, Harpers Ferry, April 28-29 - www.flipflopfestival.org (A full day of hour-long classes, with flip-floppers in mind, but many programs are relevant to all backpackers)

How to Hike the A.T. Courses - ATC offers these that are usually 1 or 2 hours, sometimes longer, at locations in the southern Region. These are listed at www.appalachiantrail.org/events and sustainable practices are a critical component of these.

Journal Entries

Are I the only one that finds it a bit ironic
    The Baxter State Park is screaming because of too many hikers and already implemented their own form of restrictions

And here's the ATC trying to get more NOBO to not quit and so be able to finish...

I get the ATC not wanting to pick up crap discarded at shelters and along the trail the first 150 miles.....but after that, why the newly vested interest in thru hiker sucess?. Pack shakedowns arent lnt.....or good behavior..... It's directly related to trying to get people to succeed in thru-hiking. On an already overcrowded southern trail in spring....they should be glad people drop out.

But people make it to Neel Gap anyway they don't really have much choice and they do pack shakedowns there. And by then their pack wt has got got their attention. The reason it hasn't up to that time is they haven't suffered yet. So how much of doing it at Amicalola is just going to fall on deaf ears anyway? Combined with the fact that people are all eager to go ahead and get on the trail. The reasons are there is they believe that they know what they're doing. Most minds are probably somewhat closed.

Springer FS42 parking lot would be a good place as well to do shakedowns. Let them suffer that first day....theyll come around. Maybe put garbage cans there...or at all ga road crossings, .for unwanted gear. Then maybe people wouldnt discard so much at shelters...or on trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2018 at 15:45.

Images

Another Kevin,

Love your examples of trowel and soap. Of course we will be promoting those things, glad you are too :-) I guess I didn't want to give the impression that the courses were focused only on Leave No Trace. Inevitably, some will assume learning more about Leave No Trace is something they don't need--OK, I'll pick up my trash, got it. (Of course, in reality, it's all leave no trace, since "Plan Ahead and Prepare" covers just about everything in making the right choices for what goes in your pack.)

If anyone is interested in more in-depth course before they start, here are some additional options:

Flip Flop Festival, Harpers Ferry, April 28-29 - www.flipflopfestival.org (A full day of hour-long classes, with flip-floppers in mind, but many programs are relevant to all backpackers)

How to Hike the A.T. Courses - ATC offers these that are usually 1 or 2 hours, sometimes longer, at locations in the southern Region. These are listed at www.appalachiantrail.org/events and sustainable practices are a critical component of these.
    they are having some stuff up at neels ( walasi yi ) tomorrow starting at 11 am . they will be doing lnt and pack shakedowns etc . . 9thank you laurie for spreading the good word my friend . donald " grateful " ballard ... the further shuttle Appalachian .. Blairsville , ga

Default Educating hikers on sustainable practices

Pack shakedowns offer us an opportunity to provide one-on-one interactions, where we can organically promote and educate hikers about best practices/Leave No Trace. Reduced pack weight can also improve the quality of a hiker's experience.

If, in the process, we reduce the amount of trash further up the Trail, that improves the quality of the Appalachian Trail experience for other hikers those who don't have to look at the trash. It also means fewer volunteers and paid ridgerunners have to spend their valuable time and the Trail's financial resources on picking up and carting out trash.

If it leads to more successful thru-hikers, then we will work that much intensively to encourage and empower hikers to voluntarily spread themselves out. Dispersing use reduces physical impacts to trail resources and the social impacts of crowding. The voluntary thru-hike registration process has been effective at spreading out thru-hikers. The peaks and valleys of thru-hikers starting day by day in Georgia are now much more even, and northbound thru-hikers also start earlier and later. There are now also several hundred more hikers starting at locations other than Georgia each year that helps disperse use in an even more significant way.

If ATC's efforts (in cooperation with the Georgia A.T. Club, the U.S. Forest Service, and other managing partners) help hikers be more successful, and more thru-hikers reach Katahdin, we will continue to work with Baxter State Park to find innovative strategies that help them meet their management objectives while preserving the A.T. experience.

The Baxter Task Force led by ATC (that consists of Baxter State Park rangers, ATC staff, the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association, the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, the A.T. Lodge in Millinocket, and Friends of Baxter State Park) has made significant progress in addressing the park's concerns. While numbers have been a part of the park's concern, hiker behavior was equally a concern, and brought attention to the numbers.

Not so much the majority of A.T. hikers, but the lack of awareness and respect for park regulations and resources (and other visitors) by a relatively small number of hikers was perhaps the biggest issue. A variety of initiatives and strategies have been implemented by the task force. This has included expanding staffing at the Monson Visitor Center for the primary purpose of educating and preparing thru-hikers for the park's unique circumstances. It also has included a messaging campaign comprised of posters, temporary tattoos, blogs, press releases, and outreach to influential members of the A.T. community.

ATC and our partners' efforts will hopefully improve the hikers' experience, and will result in hikers who are better educated in sustainable practices. It will also help more hikers have a better understanding of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail and the things that make this unit of the national park system so unique--including the truly remarkable volunteer tradition. Perhaps it may edge the success rate up a little bit too, or hikers may hike further than they would otherwise. But there are many things that affect the success rate on a hiker's 6-month journey. Running out of money, an unanticipated family situation, injury, illness, boredom or other dissatisfaction with their Trail experience are many other reasons that thru-hikers leave the Trail prematurely.

Our efforts to educate hikers on how to use the Trail most sustainably are multi-faceted, and this new initiative at Amicalola Falls is just one of them. The thru-hiker registration process allows us to communicate with thru-hikers before they begin, and offer education through information, Leave No Trace videos, and links. Last year (2017), more than 80% of successful thru-hikers participated in the voluntary registration. Ridgerunners have long provided on-trail education, and we are now offering courses to enable hikers to learn before they hit the Trail. Increasingly, we will look to technology to reach hikers before they start their hikes. We are also expanding our efforts to reach groups before they hit the Trail. Groups can have major impacts on the Trail, but two ill-informed, unprepared hikers can have more negative impacts than a group of ten well trained in Leave No Trace. Very often groups are young people, who will be future users and guardians of the Trail.

There's no silver bullet. It takes a thoughtful, concerted, and adaptive approach by many people working together who care about the Trail.

Pack shakedowns offer us an opportunity to provide one-on-one interactions, where we can organically promote and educate hikers about best practices/Leave No Trace. Reduced pack weight can also improve the quality of a hiker's experience.

If, in the process, we reduce the amount of trash further up the Trail, that improves the quality of the Appalachian Trail experience for other hikers those who don't have to look at the trash. It also means fewer volunteers and paid ridgerunners have to spend their valuable time and the Trail's financial resources on picking up and carting out trash.

If it leads to more successful thru-hikers, then we will work that much intensively to encourage and empower hikers to voluntarily spread themselves out. Dispersing use reduces physical impacts to trail resources and the social impacts of crowding. The voluntary thru-hike registration process has been effective at spreading out thru-hikers. The peaks and valleys of thru-hikers starting day by day in Georgia are now much more even, and northbound thru-hikers also start earlier and later. There are now also several hundred more hikers starting at locations other than Georgia each year that helps disperse use in an even more significant way.

If ATC's efforts (in cooperation with the Georgia A.T. Club, the U.S. Forest Service, and other managing partners) help hikers be more successful, and more thru-hikers reach Katahdin, we will continue to work with Baxter State Park to find innovative strategies that help them meet their management objectives while preserving the A.T. experience.

The Baxter Task Force led by ATC (that consists of Baxter State Park rangers, ATC staff, the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association, the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, the A.T. Lodge in Millinocket, and Friends of Baxter State Park) has made significant progress in addressing the park's concerns. While numbers have been a part of the park's concern, hiker behavior was equally a concern, and brought attention to the numbers.

Not so much the majority of A.T. hikers, but the lack of awareness and respect for park regulations and resources (and other visitors) by a relatively small number of hikers was perhaps the biggest issue. A variety of initiatives and strategies have been implemented by the task force. This has included expanding staffing at the Monson Visitor Center for the primary purpose of educating and preparing thru-hikers for the park's unique circumstances. It also has included a messaging campaign comprised of posters, temporary tattoos, blogs, press releases, and outreach to influential members of the A.T. community.

ATC and our partners' efforts will hopefully improve the hikers' experience, and will result in hikers who are better educated in sustainable practices. It will also help more hikers have a better understanding of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail and the things that make this unit of the national park system so unique--including the truly remarkable volunteer tradition. Perhaps it may edge the success rate up a little bit too, or hikers may hike further than they would otherwise. But there are many things that affect the success rate on a hiker's 6-month journey. Running out of money, an unanticipated family situation, injury, illness, boredom or other dissatisfaction with their Trail experience are many other reasons that thru-hikers leave the Trail prematurely.

Our efforts to educate hikers on how to use the Trail most sustainably are multi-faceted, and this new initiative at Amicalola Falls is just one of them. The thru-hiker registration process allows us to communicate with thru-hikers before they begin, and offer education through information, Leave No Trace videos, and links. Last year (2017), more than 80% of successful thru-hikers participated in the voluntary registration. Ridgerunners have long provided on-trail education, and we are now offering courses to enable hikers to learn before they hit the Trail. Increasingly, we will look to technology to reach hikers before they start their hikes. We are also expanding our efforts to reach groups before they hit the Trail. Groups can have major impacts on the Trail, but two ill-informed, unprepared hikers can have more negative impacts than a group of ten well trained in Leave No Trace. Very often groups are young people, who will be future users and guardians of the Trail.

There's no silver bullet. It takes a thoughtful, concerted, and adaptive approach by many people working together who care about the Trail.
    Thank you for everything you do, Laurie. Your post reinforces my comment about including day and section hikers (and children) in your audience. Why is it only about educating the thru hiker? I believe that over their life span, the day/section hiker will spend more time on the trail than a thru-hike attemptee.

Good point, Traffic Jam. It is our goal to expand our education to all who use and enjoy the Trail.

We do some outreach to children already on Family Hiking Day, National Trails Day events, and activities through the A.T. Community program. We also have group outreach programs that are usually working with youth, enlisting ridgerunners or supporting local trail clubs that are doing this kind of outreach.

There are 500 access points that day-hikers or overnight hikers can use 365 days a year. Some of them never connect with ATC. Sometimes it is more effective for local trail and outdoor groups to do education for local day-hikers. ATC does have initiatives at "hot spot" day use areas working with local partners such as at McAfee Knob and Franconia Ridge.

Our www.ATCamp.org registration system is now (as of last fall) available to any who will be visiting the A.T. overnight or longer, and we will seek to expand our Leave No Trace outreach through that program.

Last year 3,839 northbound thru-hikers started in Georgia, most in a 6-8 week window. In Harpers Ferry we counted 1723 northbound thru-hikers; Baxter State Park counted 1383. Thru-hikers may reflect a small number of users, but they dominate online videos, social media, and print media about how to hike and enjoy the A.T. Many hikers, whether overnight or beyond, look to thru-hikers as their models and get their "education" from them. Thru-hikers are often the de facto ambassadors of the Trail, influencing dozens, hundreds, or in some cases thousands of other hikers. The more we can educate them, the better.

Absolutely, the longer term goal is to more effectively reach all who use the A.T. with education about Leave No Trace and sustainable practices, but we start with the areas where we believe we can have the most far-reaching impacts.

I know that these classes are free, yet the individuals providing the information probably work typical 8-5 hours. However, it would be awesome to see an offering at 8:00, 8:30, or 9:00 pm for those that travel all day, check into the Lodge or stay in the campground and are killing time during the evening, before turning in to sleep; with the hope of heading out after an early breakfast the next morning prior to the 9:00 Class. That evening course could be geared to include support family and friends of the Thru Hiker that are serving as support ambassadors and possibly future generations of hikers. Just a thought/suggestion not a complaint. The ATC does a great job working to Sustain the AT for all that want to utilize this American Pathway for Genreations to come. Just sharing my thoughts which seem to be fairly consistent with others that Utilize the Approach Trail and Lodge as a start point. Maybe not enough of a population compared to the other offerings but maybe worth thinking about; especially after Daylight Savings provides a little more evening daylight.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    it is very much needed for people that do not have a grip on trail etiquette . the trail becomes a dumping grounds down here during thru hike season and they are trying to stop the dumping of unnecessary trash along the approach and everything before neels gap where most will get their shakedown . start it at amicalola and they might stop some of the wasted time that rangers , ridgerunners , gatc and trail angels waste on following them up the trail picking up what inexperienced hikers thought they needed . hopefully this year people keep it clean and the spread of norovirus will not spread like wild fire . all the power to the rigerunners for trying to keep it clean and safe
    Yes!

I could not have said it better.

gbolt, Thanks for the suggestion! I will pass it along. I appreciate all the constructive feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++