Default hopkins prarie area?

I'm looking for a one night out and back section or loop for next week.... I can't get in where I was going to go (cumberland). I was kinda thinking about the hidden pond area as a backup since I've read so much about it...... but sadly that area is closed.
    SO I'm checking the other direction. I'm out of the St Augustine/Jacksonville area so I'm not looking to go further away from home.
    so I was kinda looking at the stretch between Hopkins Prairie CG and Salt Springs. I don't know anything about the area, but if I'm reading my FT Guide correctly, there's no camping anywhere between. Is that right?
    Are there any "stealth" sites in that stretch?
    Is this a nice hike?....a nice looking trail I mean, anything redeeming about it or interesting to see?

otherwise, any other suggestions?

I did an out and back from Salt Springs to Hidden Pond last weekend. I have camped, both stealth and regular, at HP CG. It's OK. The hike from SS to HP CG is different. There is about 4 miles of it where you are hiking along the prairie which is pretty different for Florida. It can be a dry stretch so plan accordingly. You can also continue to hike south of HP CG and do the Pat's loop. There are stealth spots along the praire to camp. One of my favorites is just north of HP CG. If you have not done this section, I would recommend it since it is very different.

hey, thanks for that Daytonahiker! I think I'll look then a little closer to the map then, and then head out from SS and see how far we get....

I stayed about an hour north of Hopkins, off the FT, this weekend. There's a pond, plenty of water, and had the place to myself.

Camped at HP few weeks back after late start day one from 88 store...nice and easy section. Campground was empty when we were there. Pitcher pump and privy also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++