WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best timing to start spring NOBO section hike in southern VT?

Howdy,
    I'm looking for some trail wisdom re best time to start at Rt. 9 in Vermont, hopefully ending a short way into Maine. I'd like to avoid the worst of VT mud season. Do I need to wait until Memorial Day time?
    When will blackflies start to be bad on the trail?
    Thanks.

Lost & Found

Start too soon and your main issue will be snow in the Whites. The worst of the blackflies should be over by late June. That is when I would start

The Green Mountain Club, the group that looks after the AT in Vermont, would like you and all other hikers to start no sooner than Memorial Day weekend for mud season reasons (this is according to their website).
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Early June is okay if it isn't raining much. Spring will probably be a good 3 weeks early this year, so maybe it will have dried up a lot by the end of May.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks, Moldy. I'd definitely like to miss blackfly season if I can!

Hey map man,

Yeah, I've since read what the GMC recommends. Its looking like late August may be my best bet, with other things I have going.

Slo-go'en,

Who knows what spring will bring, eh? I think I'll push it to later in the summer. Then, I'll only have to deal with heat and skeeters!

Journal Entries

I'm hiking the final third of the trail for me this year starting May 11th in Pawling, NY. I hiked last year from Pearisburg to Pawling during June and July, and it was just too hot. I'm leaving earlier this year to get the cooler weather and to hopefully stay ahead of the majority of the hiker bubble. Looking to summit Katahdin mid July.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    I'm hiking the final third of the trail for me this year starting May 11th in Pawling, NY. I hiked last year from Pearisburg to Pawling during June and July, and it was just too hot. I'm leaving earlier this year to get the cooler weather and to hopefully stay ahead of the majority of the hiker bubble. Looking to summit Katahdin mid July.
    Funny, I'm on the train right behind you May 19th but heading South. HAve a great hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Finder57 View Post
    Slo-go'en,

Who knows what spring will bring, eh? I think I'll push it to later in the summer. Then, I'll only have to deal with heat and skeeters!
    Looks like spring could be delayed after all. There's probably a good 5 feet of snow in MA and VT right now and more coming.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++