So I’ve heard mixed things. I was under the impression you should be wearing snowshoes in the whites once the snow covers the trail. The last few weekends I’ve been up there camping I’d say only 10% of hikers/campers I’ve seen were using snowshoes.

Now I’m over the fact that everyone is aware that ascenders or trail runners have the right of way, or that everyone that steps foot on the hills understands what leave no trace is. Maybe I’m under the wrong impression.

But regardless what are the rules for winter trail use? I can’t stand post holing even 6 inches and I don’t want to destroy the trail. This last trip was lousy with post holes. Some 3 feet deep. I love when my pack is at 25lbs for a winter trip. But if I have to bring everything I need I’m realistically looking at 32. Now I put my snowshoes on top and that’s a lot of weight on a small footprint. For sure there are many more day hikers then campers this time of year but are they in the right just using spikes? Short tall skinny fat. They’re all out there making holes.

What are the rules? What are you opinions and interpretations of what happens and what’s right. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk