WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section 3 Road Access

Does anybody know if the roads to segment three are open/will be open for the next month or so? Im wanting to hike section 3 east bound for spring break(march 10-17) and I know the BRP closes some sections regularly this time of year, so I am hoping it will be open. Thinking of parking my car at Pisgah Inn and hiking the whole section, then getting a ride back to the Inn, depending on the road accessibility. Does anyone know if the BRP is/will be open at that section and the end of the section? Also, does anyone know if the end of the section (Black Mtn campground) will be open?

Also, does anyone know of anybody in that area/Asheville area that could give rides from Black Mtn back to Pisgah Inn? Thanks so much

Images

Not sure where you mean with section 3. But the BRP is open (in VA) as long as there is no snow, ice or sleet on the roads it should be open. They do not treat the roads so if there is winter precipitation they close it.https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m....8390/-80.6506
    Is the website to see about up to date closures. Check them before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Not sure where you mean with section 3. But the BRP is open (in VA) as long as there is no snow, ice or sleet on the roads it should be open. They do not treat the roads so if there is winter precipitation they close it.https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m....8390/-80.6506
    Is the website to see about up to date closures. Check them before you go.
    Same for the BRP in North Carolina. Winter precipitation closes the road until the solid bits melt.
    Plan for temperatures in the teens or colder at higher elevations in North Carolina mid-March.
    The Pisgah Inn is closed until April 1.
    I suggest that you call the National Forest and National Park Service offices for the area to get real world information on parking, roads, etc.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Also, the Black Mountain Campground is currently closed for the season. Assuming the BRP is open, I say go for it. Great section of trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

++ New Posts ++