WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hikers and egos

Default Hikers and egos

I totally get the HYOH thing but it seems on here if you ask a simple question
    It doesn't take long before you get ripped a new one
    What gives. I will end up slugging someone if they talk to me on the trail like they do on here
    Am I out of line in feeling this way? I love the site and most of the post!

You read into text and the written word whatever you feel like it without seeing the body language of the person replying. Most communication between people is non-verbal. A smile or a touch can go a long way towards softening a message.

In other words, quit being a sensitive Nancy.

I hear you! I had a 30 min lecture once by a “thru hiker” I met at hawk mountain shelter about why everything I was doing was wrong. I had just gotten out of an orthotic knee high boot after recovering from a nasty foot fracture, and was wearing a full boot. I needed the support at that time! He had brand new everything from rei and was eager to explain all his choices and why each was “the only intelligent option”. I was obviously unprepared because my pack was 25 lbs with 4 days food. His was about 45 lbs. What a jerk.

Dont let the jerks and *ssh@les get you down. People secure in themselves don’t worry about what their neighbors are doing. If you ask a reasonable question you will get many well thought out answers, a few trolls, and at least one hijack of a useful thread. It is the internet.

Enjoy the joy, embrace the suck and welcome to white blaze,

The other white meat

You would rarely have trouble interpreting tone in person the way we do in writing. There are occasional trolls on this site, but most perceived insults are not intended that way.

Right on
    But I had a guy make a snide remark about my kid and that's not cool anywhere

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If you think this is bad, you should see reddit or some of the Facebook groups (mostly the thru hiker class of ....)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Once people sit down.... keyboard warrior engages. Of course, you'll run into these on the trail as well, the knowitalls, the youshouldbe types, etc...
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

I read your thread https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...o-hike-with-me and didn't see anything there offensive in any way. Did you get a nasty PM or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If you think this is bad, you should see reddit or some of the Facebook groups (mostly the thru hiker class of ....)
    Yes, Facebook comments can get nasty. YouTube comments really get crazy.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I hear you! I had a 30 min lecture once by a “thru hiker” I met at hawk mountain shelter about why everything I was doing was wrong. I had just gotten out of an orthotic knee high boot after recovering from a nasty foot fracture, and was wearing a full boot. I needed the support at that time! He had brand new everything from rei and was eager to explain all his choices and why each was “the only intelligent option”. I was obviously unprepared because my pack was 25 lbs with 4 days food. His was about 45 lbs. What a jerk
    Now that's funny, not the least of which because making it northbound to hawk mountain shelter hardly gives someone the clout to call themselves a thru hiker when giving advice.

Reminds me of this excerpt from a satirical hiking blog:

"Try not to be too annoyed with that first time hiker who wants to talk about his eight-pound base weight and how you’re carrying all sorts of things you don’t need and how you’ll never finish with a pack that heavy. He’s been researching his gear for a year now and he’s just excited because he finally has the chance to use it.

Plus, he’s quitting next week. So you won’t have to put up with him for long..."

http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.co...-life.html?m=1
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-16-2018 at 18:59.

It HELPS to takes everyone's comments as .... "just my thoughts but hike your own hike" ... EVEN if that wasn't what they meant. No value in taking cutting remarks from people you don't know, and will likely never meet, too personally. Still, I have to admit that at times the comments people make, not even about my posts, cause me to stay off WB for a while on occasion. But, then I remember the incredible help I got in preparing for 100 Mile Wilderness from Helitrope ... and from Sarcasm the Elf in preparing for CT ... and from others when I couldn't find a shuttler .... etc., etc., etc. ... AND, I always come back. All in all this is a GREAT groups of people, who can share an incredible depth of experience ... and offer guidance ... as you figure out the BEST way to HYOH !!!!!!

Images

Write again and I'll kill ya
    Lol

One of the most thrilling things on the A.T. is happening upon a thru-hiker at a shelter or pic-a-nic table holding forth, they just have an air of majesty about them....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

GAME 06

DBOW

One will occasionally run into asshats or trolls who are just trying to get a rise out of people as they get some form of fulfullment in causing trouble. It takes some time to recognize them and after that never read any post with their name on it or block them. A pain but necessary. And if you meet them on trail poke them in the nose one for me.

But mostly such events are miscommunications. The written language is very ambiguous and prone to be misinterpreted. Many times folks are sort of inarticulate and incapable of actually writing what they intend to. Even amongst native english speakers there are so many local ways of saying things which are not appropriate to the local ways of other places and that causes issues. Then there is always the way old folks and young folks talk to each other which can cause problems. It is endless.

Try to let such issues just pass you by most times. If you run into a troll then confront them, but if they persist there is nothing you can do but to ignore them and that hurts them the most (except for that poke in the nose if you ever get the chance). I have a list for the poke should I ever run into them, but I am getting so old it might be best if that never happens at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DBOW! View Post
    I totally get the HYOH thing but it seems on here if you ask a simple question
    It doesn't take long before you get ripped a new one
    What gives. I will end up slugging someone if they talk to me on the trail like they do on here
    Am I out of line in feeling this way? I love the site and most of the post!
    C’mon, this is 2018, slugging will likely get y thrown off the trail, don't pass go don’t collect $200 dollars, I’d pull a recon on some shoelaces or pack straps.

I have never experienced any of the internet drama on trail - none of it. In general, people don't talk about gear or base weights unless asked. I have been asked about some gear and I'll answer questions but I never take that as license to critique another hiker's gear in general, and no one has done that to me either.

Granted I've not been in the AT "bubble" and I don't stay at AT shelters on my AT sections... Most of my hiking has been out west. Maybe egos are an issue on the AT during peak bubble season, idk.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DBOW! View Post
    Write again and I'll kill ya
    Lol
    Haha! That took me longer than it should have!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Haha! That took me longer than it should have!
    Every board needs a big toe or two.

Easy to ignore if it ruffles your feathers. No ear plugs or head phones required.

It's the non face to face medium of communication most and current self absorbed insensitivities to blame, not WB in itself. Internet and non facial communication in itself leads to clear communication difficulties.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++