WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hikers and egos

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    dude you were arguing statistics and false equivalencies i should block you just for that alone. Bears are serious bidness!!

oh and this thread may very well be the whitestblaze thread ever.
    The false equivalencies comment wasn't the first discussion, he'd previously hurled vulgarities at others for making fairly reasonable statements. As I said, I really do find this site more civil and mature than others. Also, this is a long shot, but is there any chance you are the Bill guy who was also commenting? If so I think we'e get along.

Not sure I fully understand the "WBist thread", I see it as us discussing our own actions on the site, nothing wrong with reflecting on what is and isn't useful or appropriate to post.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-19-2018 at 02:30.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I'm one of the broke hikers. It wasn't flush from the get go and it's even worse now due to a bunch of reasons, a few beyond my control.

I'm stepping off from Springer anyway.

What happens, happens, and i don't believe in begging either. I spent about 5 years on the streets, never panhandled once and i don't intend to start on the AT. If anything i would accept loans which, as always, are paid back with a little something extra as interest. And damn right i'm going to hit up people i've known for years. When i have, i kick in so it's time to return the favor.

One way or the other things will get done.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    I'm one of the broke hikers. It wasn't flush from the get go and it's even worse now due to a bunch of reasons, a few beyond my control.

I'm stepping off from Springer anyway.

What happens, happens, and i don't believe in begging either. I spent about 5 years on the streets, never panhandled once and i don't intend to start on the AT. If anything i would accept loans which, as always, are paid back with a little something extra as interest. And damn right i'm going to hit up people i've known for years. When i have, i kick in so it's time to return the favor.

One way or the other things will get done.
    Will this be your first thru hike?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Will this be your first thru hike?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Yes, this is my first thru hike.
    BR360

Hahaha I love that website.

There’s a reason you mostly only deal with that in the south (and on the internet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OAFC

Oversized Appropriation of Fun Comedy

Journal Entries
    Images

Hikers and egos: During my thru-hike I met a hiker at Hawk Mt. shelter. He was in his early 50s and he was new at long distance hiking. He had been a senior marathon runner and insisted that a hike would be no problem for him. We hiked together for some time and all he would talk about was how superior all his recently purchased light weight high tech equipment would get him to Katahdin with no problem. He would harp on the virtues of being in superior shape and having the best equipment. He had a business that his wife would manage and he would be able to confer with her daily by cell phone. We ended up sharing a cabin at Goose Creek , just down the road at Neels Gap. He became quite upset when he could not communicate with his wife because of poor cell service. He soon discovered that Northern Georgia had poor cell coverage and to call frequently would be a problem. The next morning after breakfast I returned to the cabin, he told me that he could not continue with his hike and was going to leave the trail. My answers to him when he talked gear. which he did non stop, was "it's not what you carry on your back, but what's in your head. A big ero won't get you far on a thru-hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    ...oh and this thread may very well be the whitestblaze thread ever.

Ohh, you have not been around here long enough on the set of this soap opera.

That dubious distinction can be said about one of the "How much does it cost to thru hike the AT?", AT lean to rants, purifying water, or why some other community is wrong when negatively addressing pro AT/the AT is the center of the world mentalities type threads.

Thus is another endless loop everyone has an opinion thread.

Can we get back to Dyneema composite or how much dies your pack weigh type threads?

Get a grip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ode to Whiteblaze

Though some may find
    Reasons to complain
    My skin is prolly tougher
    Than the kids’ head’n for Maine.

And if someone’s finer point
    Is made with a hammmer
    The discourse is OK by me
    ’Cause no one here corrects my spelling — and grammar

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I get the point of the OP's post, and there has been some good discussion on here about it. My input would be to understand the word "chaff". Per the dictionary:

Chaff: worthless things; trash

This is how I treat most forums I go on. When I read stuff on here I'm looking at it from a couple of different perspectives. If I'm requesting input or info then I sift through the posts and consider the ones that actually address my inquiry while the rest become chaff that I ignore. If I'm looking for entertainment, then I read all the jokes, derogatory stuff, etc. (i.e. chaff) and have a good laugh.
    Last edited by Berserker; 02-19-2018 at 13:37.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I'm another one of those poor hikers. My phone plan is 5 lines for $100. Yes I let my kids have internet and cable. It's 150 a month.

I will be considered underfunded when I hike. I do also feel that this site can be a bit harsh at times towards poorer people.

For me it's not just a vacation. I'm not even going to try to explain it.

I will say though this site has helped me a lot. I am hoping to never hike with a pack over 35 lbs.
    I have also seen someone offered a free pack and I myself have been given a Cuben fiber tarptent with a Cuben poncho groundsheet by a member here. She didn't even want me to pay shipping.

If and when I hike The only way anyone will know my financial situation is if they guess or get to know me. I won't beg on the trail. I may eat alot of ramen and peanut butter though.

Every time I think I can finally start saving for the trail something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    One of the most thrilling things on the A.T. is happening upon a thru-hiker at a shelter or pic-a-nic table holding forth, they just have an air of majesty about them....
    LOL! Depending on how long it's been between washings, lol

Quote Originally Posted by DBOW
    Write again and I'll kill ya
    Lol

lol...

u.w.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    If and when I hike The only way anyone will know my financial situation is if they guess or get to know me. I won't beg on the trail. I may eat alot of ramen and peanut butter though.

Every time I think I can finally start saving for the trail something happens.
    One of the great things about the AT, is the mix of people. Old, Young, Rich, poor, all doing the same thing. Where else will a young 20-something meet , talk, hike, and hang out with a seventy-year-old of the opposite sex??

Honestly nobody cares what you got or what you don't got on the trail. People with millions of dollars will hike right along with people that got don't have two nickels to rub together. And the topic just don't come up.

Unless somebody's an ass, and there are a couple always everywhere.

I know of at least one multi-millionaire retiree, my age, that will start hiking in the next couple weeks

Ego is our own worst enemy. I always try to remember that their comments make sense to them from where they are standing in life

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    It goes both ways.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...l=1#post173995

Attachment 41915

Should be required reading for all.

Forgot to thank you when this thread was current.

Had a super slow day at work and spent a few hours reading through. Absolutely fascinating!
    BR360

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    Forgot to thank you when this thread was current.

Had a super slow day at work and spent a few hours reading through. Absolutely fascinating!
    Thars lessons in there.

It don't matter what's in your pack
    It's what's between ears that counts most.

People full of themselves get offended when I keep reminding the trails been thru hiked by old people, young children, overweight, a blind guy, a guy carrying a tuba,....

To that list you can even add a guy that mailed himself bottled water.. ..and carried 6 rolls t.p.

A poor workman, always blames his tools.
    Some will succeed no matter what they carry.
    Some would fail......no matter what they carry

But you not going to be able to tell that from behind a computer screen.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-28-2018 at 06:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    And we seem to be grouchy too.
    Hey! Leave me out of this!

:-)

On a section hike I met a kid who had been on the trail 090 days and had covered 900 Miles.

They were about to take another week off to deal with bloody feet.

The issue was they were pushing for 30 mile days.

Constant injuries and problems.

Convinced me that ego ego driven miles were a huge mistake.

I agree with you. I have for the most part quit even checking on here for the same reason. that and if you ask a question your gear isn't good to suet them so you get an REI or zpack's add. there are some good post but most are ul gear snobs in my opinion.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++