WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hikers and egos

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I think a lot of people who CHOOSE or have CHOSEN not to hike because of financial limitations or life responsibilities probably do resent someone asking for a handout to go off and choose to hike for 6 month when they haven't put much effort into making the life choices to gain what is a privilege (taking 6 months do pursue a hike). While hiking and enjoying the trail may well improve one's life, hiking isn't some sort of unalienable right. I certainly can see their point. We are bombarded with solicitation for money from charities, civic groups, politicians, and others, virtually every day of our lives. But rarely (actually never) have I had anyone try to hit me up for money (either in person or on an internet board) to go play a round of golf, or go on a cruise, or the countless other recreational pursuits that also improve one's life. Just the flip side of that coin.
    Again, it comes down to a HYOH mentality. I met one old guy on the trail. He got fired, had resultant marital troubles, no savings, no education, no real desirable job skills. He just started walking from Florida and ended up on the trail. His equipment was barely functional castoffs. Who am I to tell him not to hike? He didn't adversely affect my hike the slightest bit.

Who knows what the alternative was for him. Maybe he'd have killed himself, maybe he'd have beat his wife and dog, maybe he'd have become homeless under a bridge robbing people for drug money...

If the guy wants to hike the trail and clear his mind, while being around other people, then that's his business. If he wanted to start a gofundme, again, that's his business.

People beg for money and spend it on vacations and mansions and yachts all the time. There's a whole prosperity gospel industry. It seems kind of rude to drive away potential hikers from this forum because some of us don't think they're worthy. You can choose not to contribute without calling them vermin.

Let's be honest.. people are just so triggered by the smallest, dumbest things. Everyone has a way to take a completely unrelated issue and make it
    so they become the victim. Everyone has a voice now and everyone thinks they're ***** don't stank. Esp behind the keyboard. Just take whatever someone says to you with a grain of salt, remember they don't know you, and go on your way. A lot of people need to fight online because they're deficient in something else in their life.. they're girlfriend left them, they're job sucks, they're in debt.. Just be you and you'll be fine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    People beg for money and spend it on vacations and mansions and yachts all the time. There's a whole prosperity gospel industry. It seems kind of rude to drive away potential hikers from this forum because some of us don't think they're worthy. You can choose not to contribute without calling them vermin.
    Out right begging for money to go on vacation is......up to those that contribute.

But worse is begging on trail. Because then you are takeing advantage of people not wanting to see someone suffer. The argument that people that don't have to help somebody doesn't float, most people have too kind of hearts not to help even if they really don't want to. This is what all Moochers know and prey on. Theres every right to criticize those scum. So that comes back to having enough money to hike or not.

You certainly don't need cool gear. Grandma Gatewood hiked it three times with the laundry Sack , a wool army blanket and a shower curtain. But you do need to plan to realistically be self-sufficient.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2018 at 12:19.

At some point there's an obligation to help as well. I met a guy on the pct at a fairly gross water source who had no way to treat the water. I gave him enough aquamira to get to the next road crossing and told him to get off trail till he could figure out his water strategy. You can't responsibly walk by if someone's life is in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Out right begging for money to go on vacation is......up to those that contribute.

But worse is begging on trail. Because then you are takeing advantage of people not wanting to see someone suffer. The argument that people that don't have to help somebody doesn't float, most people have too kind of hearts not to help even if they really don't want to. This is what all Moochers know and prey on. Theres every right to criticize those scum. So that comes back to having enough money to hike or not.

You certainly don't need cool gear. Grandma Gatewood hiked it three times with the laundry Sack , a wool army blanket and a shower curtain. But you do need to plan to realistically be self-sufficient.
    Didn't Grandma Gatewood also knock on people's front doors and ask to spend the night? Relying on the hospitality of strangers? Escaping domestic violence? I suspect if she posted on these boards today, some of us would tell her to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Only a fool disregards others advice blindly.

Everybody knows something worth learning from them.

Everybody knows less than you about something as well.
    It's good to keep this always in mind.

So many so often lead a contentious regularly offended easily irritated (triggered) life. Where's the love, joy, peace, kindness, humbliness, self control, patience, forbearance, and gratitude?

Looking at some of my own posts I could have walked in more of the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's good to keep this always in mind.

So many so often lead a contentious regularly offended easily irritated (triggered) life. Where's the love, joy, peace, kindness, humbliness, self control, patience, forbearance, and gratitude?

Looking at some of my own posts I could have walked in more of the later.
    Heh, I'm very glad the internet didn't exist when I was a young, far more opinionated person. At least my idiocy then hasn't been preserved on the web.

Journal Entries

Didn't Grandma Gatewood also knock on people's front doors and ask to spend the night? Relying on the hospitality of strangers? Escaping domestic violence? I suspect if she posted on these boards today, some of us would tell her to get lost.
    That used to be very common. There were extremely few services for travellers in rural areas. In 1800s, that was all you could do . Someone often let you sleep in their haystack.

As for pay options become available, people are expected to use them

Images

Again, it comes down to a HYOH mentality. I met one old guy on the trail. He got fired, had resultant marital troubles, no savings, no education, no real desirable job skills. He just started walking from Florida and ended up on the trail. His equipment was barely functional castoffs. Who am I to tell him not to hike? He didn't adversely affect my hike the slightest bit.

Who knows what the alternative was for him. Maybe he'd have killed himself, maybe he'd have beat his wife and dog, maybe he'd have become homeless under a bridge robbing people for drug money...

If the guy wants to hike the trail and clear his mind, while being around other people, then that's his business. If he wanted to start a gofundme, again, that's his business.

For the most part, we are not talking about destitute people that solicit money for hiking on these boards. Many (no, not all) of these people seem to have computers, cell phones, food, some form of housing, etc. Maybe their job sucks, or their spouse left them, or maybe...whatever. Guess what? EVERYBODY has issues in life. But they seem to be getting on with life, which yes, can be a struggle (welcome to the real world), and isn't always what we want it to be. Amazing, huh? So yeah, they have all sorts of energy and ambition - and dreams, of course - except when it comes to working and sacrificing to take their vacation from the reality of life. Sorry, just no sympathy here. I'm not the one actively seeking them out. They choose to publicly panhandle. And sometimes the replies are going to go beyond a simple, "No, Thank you." Mostly because we as a society have this ethical belief that encouraging such behavior doesn't lead to a better society. That said, comparing presumptuous hikers to con man preachers in Rolls-Royces and Learjets is beyond even my contempt.

FYOH (Fund your own hike)

Hmm, maybe it's ironic when spoiled US citizens complain about public panhandling and vacations when others are involved?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    For the most part, we are not talking about destitute people that solicit money for hiking on these boards. Many (no, not all) of these people seem to have computers, cell phones, food, some form of housing, etc. Maybe their job sucks, or their spouse left them, or maybe...whatever. Guess what? EVERYBODY has issues in life. But they seem to be getting on with life, which yes, can be a struggle (welcome to the real world), and isn't always what we want it to be. Amazing, huh? So yeah, they have all sorts of energy and ambition - and dreams, of course - except when it comes to working and sacrificing to take their vacation from the reality of life. Sorry, just no sympathy here. I'm not the one actively seeking them out. They choose to publicly panhandle. And sometimes the replies are going to go beyond a simple, "No, Thank you." Mostly because we as a society have this ethical belief that encouraging such behavior doesn't lead to a better society. That said, comparing presumptuous hikers to con man preachers in Rolls-Royces and Learjets is beyond even my contempt.

FYOH (Fund your own hike)
    Got it. You're just better than they are. Continue to express your disdain of those who aren't making the same choices that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    At some point there's an obligation to help as well. I met a guy on the pct at a fairly gross water source who had no way to treat the water. I gave him enough aquamira to get to the next road crossing and told him to get off trail till he could figure out his water strategy. You can't responsibly walk by if someone's life is in danger.
    How was his life in danger?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Got it. You're just better than they are. Continue to express your disdain of those who aren't making the same choices that you are.
    How exactly does giving somebody prudent advice make you better than them, especially when they asked for the advice in the first place?

Lack of funds is one of the top reasons that people abort their thru hikes and the average amount of money spent if fairly well known. When someone with no experience comes here and asks for advice on how to thru hike on a quarter of the budget that most experienced hikers can manage then "get more money" is a realistic and appropriate answer. I know that several times in my life while full of foolish enthusiasm I've tried to get involved in something without appropriate knowledge of what I'm doing. Having someone pull me aside to tell me "hey kid, you don't realize what you're getting yourself into." might not have been what I wanted to hear at the time, but it has saved me from both financial and literal ass-kickings on several occasions.

I agree that sometimes the tone of people's responses could use some improvement, but warning someone who doesn't know better that they are making a bad decision doesn't automatically make somebody a snob.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-18-2018 at 21:13.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

i see people saying that they are straight forward on here and that is awesome but being a straight jerk is not ok . why in the world would anyone want to be rude and think it is ok . why would anyone want to hurt others feelings ? there is a reason this post being up and if you go through just this post there is some rude comments . i do a lot for hikers out here and when i say i do a lot for the hiking community i mean i give my blood , sweat and tears out here . i have walked into the woods to rescue hikers that could not make it out on their own because they were to sick , to old , or just couldn't hack it. i have picked up trash that people leave behind on the dirt roads and at gaps . i have given rides to people that were on a budget for free . i bring money into the community and help keep the towns going and i give hikers a way to feel comfortable as they do their hike . i have shoveled dirt from parking lots and brought water to the gaps when there is a shortage on water . the way i have been treated on here is not very cool . i have been called a fool and a blowhard in a round about way . i have been questioned about answers i gave to a person needing to know answers about starting a shuttle service and just now i was told to hike my own hike because i told someone they needed a canister from jarrard to neels and if he was going to walk through he did not need it . i'm not sure why people are so rude on here but it is not cool . why in the world would anyone want to act like that . i see where people say it is ok to be rude because they are older and that is that . does being older give you a free ticket to be a dick ??? really ??? there are new people coming out to experience something they hear is awesome and soul lifting and that everyone is nice . when you get on here all you see is fighting and people having the answers to everything and if someone says anything you jump down their throat just like what this post says or asks . this is not a very good impression for new hikers to see .... have a good day .

Journal Entries
    Images

I think some of us are watching two completely different movies.

To help further the discussion, could someone post a handful of links to posts they found to be extremely rude?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How exactly does giving somebody prudent advice make you better than them, especially when they asked for the advice in the first place?

Lack of funds is one of the top reasons that people abort their thru hikes and the average amount of money spent if fairly well known. When someone with no experience comes here and asks for advice on how to thru hike on a quarter of the budget that most experienced hikers can manage then "get more money" is a realistic and appropriate answer. I know that several times in my life while full of foolish enthusiasm I've tried to get involved in something without appropriate knowledge of what I'm doing. Having someone pull me aside to tell me "hey kid, you don't realize what you're getting yourself into." might not have been what I wanted to hear at the time, but it has saved me from both financial and literal ass-kickings on several occasions.

I agree that sometimes the tone of people's responses could use some improvement, but warning someone who doesn't know better that they are making a bad decision doesn't automatically make somebody a snob.
    I fully support giving people advice about saving funds for a hike, and suggesting that they'll have a more enjoyable hike if they can manage to do so, and about warning them. It often crosses the line when they start moralizing about it and making it a question of work ethic, about generation, about weakness. It's a hiking forum, driving people away by calling them names, is not the same thing as giving them sound financial advice.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I fully support giving people advice about saving funds for a hike, and suggesting that they'll have a more enjoyable hike if they can manage to do so, and about warning them. It often crosses the line when they start moralizing about it and making it a question of work ethic, about generation, about weakness. It's a hiking forum, driving people away by calling them names, is not the same thing as giving them sound financial advice.
    That's certainly fair, as RickB says above we may have different posts in mind. I'm only defending the ones that are respectfully blunt, not the ones that are abusive.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

On the related subject of egos on WB vs other sites, I've realized that in the last 24 hours I've been blocked by at least two people on the Facebook section hiker's group for very politely trying to explain that their basic assumptions about black bears. During the conversation the same two people also blocked a well known hiker (ajd then bragged about it) for making comments about food storage techniques that would have been considered non-controversal on this site. It just adds to my personal opinion that WB isn't perfect, but for the internet it's pretty darn good.

I learned the “stick and stones” rhyme a very long time ago, it still serves me well to this day. Much of what people bitch about seem to be just over reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    On the related subject of egos on WB vs other sites, I've realized that in the last 24 hours I've been blocked by at least two people on the Facebook section hiker's group for very politely trying to explain that their basic assumptions about black bears. During the conversation the same two people also blocked a well known hiker (ajd then bragged about it) for making comments about food storage techniques that would have been considered non-controversal on this site. It just adds to my personal opinion that WB isn't perfect, but for the internet it's pretty darn good.
    dude you were arguing statistics and false equivalencies i should block you just for that alone. Bears are serious bidness!!

oh and this thread may very well be the whitestblaze thread ever.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++