WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hikers and egos

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    You're a good guy, I'm not slamming you, just givin' a lil' feedback. I know you pay attention because you USED TO POST with all sorts of EXCESSIVE EMPHATIC EMPHASIS, and you've stopped doing that. Love ya!
    I've always gotten a chuckle out of those that have an issue with reading words typed in upper case.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I've always gotten a chuckle out of those that have an issue with reading words typed in upper case.
    I still chuckle at the beat-down I got more than 30 years ago when doing my first online posting on CompuServe forums using all caps — STOP SCREAMING!!!

And it does make sense... what do you do if you really want to scream??

As far as trail encounters with @$$holes, I've had only 2-3 over the years and agree that people are generally, and naturally, nicer and more reserved in person, and of course the visual clues as to intent.

Everyone on the trail was far nicer than the people on these boards. I make a point to never post anything on these boards that I wouldn't say to someone's face on the trail. People get brave on the internet, they lose empathy, and tend to generalize much more... and they're probably perfectly nice to those they meet on the trail.

It's a lot harder to be mean to someone when your get to know them in person.

Hikers and egos- An overwhelming majority of hikers I've met do not reek of ego superiority issues but there have been some comical exceptions. I try to have fun with the situation as much as possible. First thing that comes to mind are the dime-a-dozen self declared "legends of the AT" who either hiked or skipped up to Maine. A SOBO will definitely encounter a handful of these folks.
    One funny ego story that stands out happened on the CDT. I was supporting my girlfriend, who had already completed the TC trails and then some, when a legend in his own mind hiker decided that he wanted to tell her why she would not make it. Even after she made it clear that she knew what she was doing he wanted to ramble nonsense. He then asked "Have you ever heard of Team [so and so]?" He named a couple trail names and said yeah we did the AT together in whatever year. me: "Cool so you guys formed a hiking team?" him: Yeah, Team [whatever and such]. me "Cool. So did you like check each other for ticks and stuff?" Who knew there were hiking teams? "Nah, never heard of ya. Sorry bub."

If after about 300 miles your ego is still shinnin’ through, just turn around and go home, you’re likely a lost cause.

[QUOTE=cmoulder;2194625]And it does make sense... what do you do if you really want to scream??
    /QUOTE]

Exclamation mark.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Default Hikers and egos

a WHOLE LOT of this stuff reminds me of old Casey Stengel testifying before congress re. baseball, anti-trust. Google it. It's kinda hilarious.
    After Casey finished his long-winded, rambling, nonsensical diatribe, they asked Mickey Mantle what he thought about it. "I agree with everything Casey said". It was funny!
    (But -- you gotta be WAY OLD, to appreciate it) .

Yes, the thread is about miscommunication, maybe egos, and how it applies to WB. Reading the opening statement this is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's the non face to face medium of communication most and current self absorbed insensitivities to blame, not WB in itself. Internet and non facial communication in itself leads to clear communication difficulties.

This was an incorrectly inadvertently posted statement. It wasn't edited correctly. It was made in haste. Sorry, if it created confusion.

I was regurgitating what Egilbe stated in post #2 or Showmethemonkey posted in #4 or Texasbob posted #25

Here's how that post was meant to be read: It's the non face to face medium of communication resulting in greater self absorbed insensitivities most to blame, not WB in itself. Internet and non facial communication in itself leads to communication difficulties.

I hope those corrections make that post's thoughts clear.

TU for noting. TU for the feedback.

[QUOTE=El JP;2194607]
    “My personal take on those types....You damn well better be walking on water all the way up to Katahdin and if you pull out, you better hope to hell i don't get further up trail than you did as i will never cease to break your balls over it. Lord help you if you see a picture of my mug next to the Sign of Signs.”

You are wasting your time and energy. If I have no respect for an individual, their opinion and criticism carries no weight, and a quick way for me to lose respect is by being bombarded with unsolicited advice and criticism. Requested critique is one thing, criticism is another. I duck out of conflicts and arguing because it involves too much emotion, time and energy. If someone will cause himself or another serious harm, I will extend myself, otherwise mistakes are great teachers.

I enjoy my time alone in the woods, even though I may never reach the “Sign of Signs” . I am able to decompress and let life happen. ‘Don’t worry about the small stuff, it’s all small stuff’. HYOH ;*)
    Last edited by kestral; 02-17-2018 at 12:46. Reason: Spelling

I don't think the OP was talking about trail encounters, but replies to posts on WB. I agree with him that there seem to be a lot of people on this site who think they are right and they know it.
    More walking, less talking.

It is amazing how defensive and pee'd off some people get when you see them struggling and offer some friendly advice.

Like suggesting they would have an easier time if they got rid of the 50 feet of climbing rope, the machete, the gun, the unruly dog and replace their department store tent and sleeping bag with something a bit lighter. (I don't believe that guy make it half way through GA).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I hear you! I had a 30 min lecture once by a “thru hiker” I met at hawk mountain shelter about why everything I was doing was wrong. I had just gotten out of an orthotic knee high boot after recovering from a nasty foot fracture, and was wearing a full boot. I needed the support at that time! He had brand new everything from rei and was eager to explain all his choices and why each was “the only intelligent option”. I was obviously unprepared because my pack was 25 lbs with 4 days food. His was about 45 lbs. What a jerk.

Dont let the jerks and *ssh@les get you down. People secure in themselves don’t worry about what their neighbors are doing. If you ask a reasonable question you will get many well thought out answers, a few trolls, and at least one hijack of a useful thread. It is the internet.

Enjoy the joy, embrace the suck and welcome to white blaze,
    You post reminds of a phenomenon I see regularly when I backpack the Appalachian Trail---Thruhikers holding court at trail shelters. They usually like to sit down somewhere in the shelter or at the picnic table and "hold court"---meaning they will now take your questions BUT WILL NEVER ask any questions of their own.

It seems to be an infectious disease and seems to only occur on the AT. I wrote this assessment a couple years ago---

"What is Holding Court? It's when a guy has been on the AT for 3 months and has suddenly become a cool trail guru Who Will Now Take Your Questions. They sit with smug aloofness and will themselves never ask a single question from anyone but eagerly anticipate YOUR questions. It's depressing and so I get away from a shelter as quick as possible and set up camp far away, with my water from the spring near the shelter.

I'd rather talk to the rattlesnakes and red newts."

As an example I remember one time in the Mt Rogers area by the Thomas Knob shelter I was listening to a guy talk on and on about his knowledge and trail experience and all the nights he's been out and when he took a breath I asked him, "What's it like to backpack and camp in the snow?" I'll never forget his answer: "I've never gone out in the snow."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Everyone on the trail was far nicer than the people on these boards.
    It a large community and some people just think differently.

I would be hard pressed to find examples of people not being nice — at least in the way I think of the word.

It's newbie LD hike attempters Tipi ate deemed "experts" by themselves or others. And, let's face it there exists some usually added level of intrigue of what life is like 5 months hiking day in day out wk after wk month after month through the seasons. This leads to many questions asked to these folks. Then, they do seem to be "holding court." I see this much much less in those that live a hiking life. These folks in person are much less opionated unless asked and are more go with the flow.

Images

there are some people out there that need to feel important . just ignore it man and hike on . i just laugh people off that know it all . your not going to change the situation so why even worry about it . do not let the minor details take up space in your head dude . i look at everything in life as a learning situation . the people that know it all have stopped learning bro. . something else i want to throw out there is something i live by you will never know until you try it yourself . living through others experience leaves you wondering and unsure . just get out there and do it .... close your eyes and make the leap ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    there are some people out there that need to feel important . just ignore it man and hike on . i just laugh people off that know it all . your not going to change the situation so why even worry about it . do not let the minor details take up space in your head dude . i look at everything in life as a learning situation . the people that know it all have stopped learning bro. . something else i want to throw out there is something i live by you will never know until you try it yourself . living through others experience leaves you wondering and unsure . just get out there and do it .... close your eyes and make the leap ...
    Good advice. Most times it's easy enough to excuse oneself from these situations and, if you don't use shelters, rarely encountered in the first place.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    Only a fool disregards others advice blindly.

Everybody knows something worth learning from them.

Everybody knows less than you about something as well.

Being able to discern the difference, is what's important.

For every blowhard that "holds court", there's several newbies that didnt listen to seasoned advice because "it doesn't apply to them". Their suffering beats them into submission eventually.

A symbiotic relationship.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2018 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    It a large community and some people just think differently.

I would be hard pressed to find examples of people not being nice — at least in the way I think of the word.
    One example: I've seen a whole lot of anger and bile directed at poor people on these boards. Bootstrappy preaching type crap. Get a job, don't beg. Perhaps they didn't intend to be mean, but they have no idea what the poster may have overcome just to get to the point where they want to improve their life by enjoying the trail. They don't know what resources they may have lacked, or really anything about them. Then, they're driven away from these boards when they've done absolutely nothing that impacts us over the internet.

On the trail, I met a whole lot of poor people just trying to get by, and no one gave them any grief. No one on the trail said, get a job, save some money, take care of your responsibilities at home!

The banter on-trail is different than questions asked on-line...

Many posters aren't looking for true critique but rather validation. When they don't get it (validation) they interpret the responders as being mean etc. When I respond to a post I simply state how/what I do or believe. It is up to the OP to take that information, and information from other responders, and determine how, or if, they can apply it to their situation. Remember that there is often times more than one right answer and don't forget the old adage, "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it."
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    One example: I've seen a whole lot of anger and bile directed at poor people on these boards. Bootstrappy preaching type crap. Get a job, don't beg. Perhaps they didn't intend to be mean, but they have no idea what the poster may have overcome just to get to the point where they want to improve their life by enjoying the trail. They don't know what resources they may have lacked, or really anything about them. Then, they're driven away from these boards when they've done absolutely nothing that impacts us over the internet.

On the trail, I met a whole lot of poor people just trying to get by, and no one gave them any grief. No one on the trail said, get a job, save some money, take care of your responsibilities at home!
    I think a lot of people who CHOOSE or have CHOSEN not to hike because of financial limitations or life responsibilities probably do resent someone asking for a handout to go off and choose to hike for 6 month when they haven't put much effort into making the life choices to gain what is a privilege (taking 6 months do pursue a hike). While hiking and enjoying the trail may well improve one's life, hiking isn't some sort of unalienable right. I certainly can see their point. We are bombarded with solicitation for money from charities, civic groups, politicians, and others, virtually every day of our lives. But rarely (actually never) have I had anyone try to hit me up for money (either in person or on an internet board) to go play a round of golf, or go on a cruise, or the countless other recreational pursuits that also improve one's life. Just the flip side of that coin.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++