WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    The guys running the vending machine will not exactly love you if you forgot to re-plug the machine after charging, thus spoiling the whole content of the fridge.
    Luckily, in our country most outlets are double, so I didn't have to unplug the vending machine, but could use the free twin outlet.

Its highly recommended to carry a high performance charger with dual USB output, so you can charge the phone and the powerpack simultanousely while, say, sitting in a cafe.
    Not sure what you meant by "our country" (Austria or USA?) but USA outlets are almost always double ones too. And good point about the high capacity charger, make sure you have one that's at least 2 amps. Lots of cell phone charges are 1 amp. The cord also matters a bit, test this at home.

Our country is The Kingdom of Garden Dwarfs, AKA Austria.

In the old days electricity was precious and you got charged by the number of bulbs and outlets you had in the house.
    So there was a whole industry producing (illegal) plug multipliers, especially ones that you could screw into a bulb thread, provided two plugs, and a thread for the bulb. We named this device "robber".
    Nowadays, most plugs are double by default. When I rebuilt my house 25 years ago, I installed an estimated total of 150 plugs.
    Great to hear that this is common practice in te US too.

In the Middle East where I do lots of my hikes, plugs are sparce and most of them have loose contacts or are dead. If I ever find one that works, its mandatory to get as much juice as fast as possible - the power might drop out anytime without notice.

you can make one for about $10.00 rune with 4 to 5 cells so you can carry extra batteries. Would not use it regularly but if needed. If interested i can post pics

Anker fusion. 5000mah + 2 usb charger.

If you have devices plugged in it charges those first. Once full or disconnected it starts charging battery bank.

It's legit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

A cell battery has about 3000 maH of energy at full charge. That's 3 amp-hours, at 5 volts (USB voltage) = 15 watt-hours of energy, which is about 1/70th of a kilowatt hour. A KWH goes for about 12 cents, so if you charge your phone you are costing the owner of the plug 12/70's of a cent, roughly a sixth of a penny. There are inefficiencies in the system, call it 50% so maybe it's more like 2/6th's of a penny or 1/3rd of a penny.
    Thanks for the calculation, sir. I knew it wasn’t much — but that’s really low, even allowing for the inefficiencies of the actual charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud64 View Post
    you can make one for about $10.00 rune with 4 to 5 cells so you can carry extra batteries. Would not use it regularly but if needed. If interested i can post pics
    im intersected, post away.

I have a less powerful version of this https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-10000...A1AD79PCAQ0074 and I seem to remember getting at least a few full charges off of it before it needed to be recharged.

I ran into one guy on my hike who wasn't even carrying a phone, not even a flip phone, and that was pretty weird to see. Also refreshing since that's the way everyone did it before 15 or so years ago. We used to be just fine without them! And smarter. Remember having phone numbers memorized? Or how to get anywhere? Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    It's almost like electricity is free. Not a single mention of buying something from the establishment you're charging at. The Trail Provides I guess.
    cell phones use about 12 cents of electricity per year. so even with heavy use probably less than a quarter a year. But I agree you should ask.

This one weighs 2 oz. uses 6 c cell. About 10-12k mah. Batteries are heavy. About 1pound so more of emergency use

I've got an AC adapter with four USB ports. When I'm doing laundry I can charge my phone, power bank, and two other devices (headlamp, bluetooth earbuds) as necessary. It's also good to share with other hikers.

for most if the times i carry power banks with me.

most of*
    sorry for the mistake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++