WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: men's underwear

I wore Exofficios on my thru hike and since then every day. Even after seven years, there is little wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Goat View Post
    I wore Exofficios on my thru hike and since then every day. Even after seven years, there is little wear.
    That's a hell of a streak, pardon the pun
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    ... So in the running are wool and exofficio but both are like buying gold. Please suggest as I do not usually buy mens underwear....
    I enjoyed my Smartwool underwear but found them to be not very durable. It did not take very long to wear holes through them.

Check out Duluth Trading Company Buck Naked underwear. https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...ens-socks.aspx
    These are comparable material to the ExOfficio brand but, cut a bit more genererous and priced a bit more reasonably than the ExOfficios. Duluth Trading company also uses this item to attract new customers so expect to see them on sale 25-35% off about every 6 weeks or so.

I originally got my Buck Naked Performance boxers to replace my ExOccifios for hiking but, have now replaced all my underwear with the Duluth Trading Company product.

Try'em, your husband will be pleased.

about 3000 miles on Exofficios. (More then 1 pair), I get about 1000 miles out of a pair. I like the 9" inseam. I walked the entire state of new jersey in my Exofficios no shirt no shorts lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Not mentioned yet, but I wear shorts with a liner built in rather than underwear. I use Under Armor running shorts with the built in liner. These shorts are so light weight and thin that they can be worn comfortably under a pair of pants too. I used to wear underwear, but the shorts with the liner are so dang comfortable I just ditched the underwear. As for chaffing, they work really well for that in my experience as the only part really making significant contact with the skin is the border of the liner, which is very similar to the border of a pair of underwear.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I'm taking a couple pairs of Reebok Performance boxer briefs (5" inseams). Standard polyester wicking garments, not expensive. In the summer I'll switch to Soffe running shorts with built-in liners instead of briefs plus hiking pants.

Reebok performance briefs, very thin, 6" inseam to prevent chafing, can be washed and easily dry overnight, even in humid conditions, last forever.

My Ex-Officio briefs were at least twice as much, and developed holes within months.

GAME 06

Ok. Since no one else has said this I will.

Forget the briefs and go commando. I have never worn briefs long distance hiking as they are a substandard hiking item. There is not any kind or brand which does not hold more moisture than the running shorts and they build stink quicker as well.

The way to prevent thigh chaffing is to wear synthetic long leg (9 inch) loose running shorts. I just buy a new pair of Nike running shorts for each long hike.

There is no brief which will prevent butt cheek chaffing so you need some slick substance of choice to rub on them until they get their own callus - which they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    ...There is no brief which will prevent butt cheek chaffing so you need some slick substance of choice to rub on them until they get their own callus - which they will..
    This must be what they call "a hard-assed hiker"

I used UnderArmor mesh boxer briefs in the longer leg length. I also talked my wife not getting some “ boy shorts” type underwear. Reason being, ticks. That was our biggest safety concern on our hike. We treated all our clothes, including underwear, with permethrin. Easy enough to check your arms and legs each day, and have someone check your back, but trying to find ticks up in your junk, in the dark, in your tent...
    If ticks have to spend the time climbing up your leg under treated tight underwear, they’ll be dead...

Another buck naked fan

Any opinions on meundies?

Thank you - was looking for this same thing.

picked up a pair of Exofficio boxer brief sport mesh 6" after reading this thread.
    Hiked 5 miles in them, and drove straight back to the store to buy a second pair. Wow! These are revolutionary.

Previously, upper thigh-chaffe had me pretty miserable (and never with enough Gold Bond powder) after two days of hiking. A pair of inguinal hernias also left me feeling like any boxer-briefs wouldn't provide enough, uh, support. These do.

Revolutionary.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I use the Ex Officio briefs. Same basic style I normally wear, just different material, but feels much the same. Hike with two pair; at the end of the day, change to the "clean" pair and rinse the one I was wearing. Usually dries in an hour or so.
    <<---This!
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I used under armour and still chaffed. Finally just wore a pair of loose fitting gym shorts which worked great. Used body glide. Still wear under armour for daily use but never for hiking, just didn't work for me hiking.

Ex Officio Boxer Briefs when backpacking. Use Under Armour when just walking around the neighborhood or day hikes.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

If you have money then Patagonia Briefs, if not the REI. If really no money then Walmart ladies nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by pettas View Post
    You might also want to look into the Duluth Trading Post's "Buck Naked" underwear. There are a variety of styles and all available in quick dry materials. I've been wearing them for the last couple of years and found them extremely comfortable.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
    I got some Duluth Trading Post underwear for Christmas. I don’t think I will ever buy another brand. They are awesome and this is from someone who frequently went commando - to work, hiking, anywhere. No more, I wear Duluth’s all the time now.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I use the Ex Officio briefs. Same basic style I normally wear, just different material, but feels much the same. Hike with two pair; at the end of the day, change to the "clean" pair and rinse the one I was wearing. Usually dries in an hour or so.
    So I read all these reports about Ex Officio Briefs being so great so I got a pair to try them out. Most comfortable briefs (men's give and go briefs) I have ever worn. They are expensive but in my humble opinion worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-124...01MS3RFP5?th=1
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++