WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

well i think it's time to restart this old thread. unfortunately i never made it out to the CT in 2018 or 2019. Life is too short and 2020 is going to be my year. just re-read all the great info and wanted to shout out a Hello to all of you. 1st time on White Blaze in awhile and Happy to be back.

I'm also seriously thinking about giving the CT another try next summer. It could be then or never.

I think I'd skip the first 100 miles which I already did and don't see much point on repeating. I'd head straight for Leadville and spend a week there getting acclimated by doing day hikes first. I think I'd go mid August instead of 1st week of September, seeing they seem to be getting a lot of early snow the last few years.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

i think a mid August start would be good and i plan on driving my truck down to the Durango area before starting my hike. i like the idea of easy access of my vehicle at the end of the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i think a mid August start would be good and i plan on driving my truck down to the Durango area before starting my hike. i like the idea of easy access of my vehicle at the end of the hike.
    I started the last week in July, finished on August 30.

it never happened if you don't share some pictures with us

Okay, I can prove it sort of happened... Next time remind me to get a cowboy hat. That open trail, high elevation with lots of sun is brutal.

IMG_20160907_160918_1.jpg

But you're so handsome slo, don't be so shy. Actually pictured you older, no offense please. This means I guess this actually happened?

Oh, by the way your left eye brow needs trimming. Lol .

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    But you're so handsome slo, don't be so shy. Actually pictured you older, no offense please. This means I guess this actually happened?
    Well, that was a couple of years ago. 100 miles of it actually happened Learned (or remembered) a few things on that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm also seriously thinking about giving the CT another try next summer. It could be then or never.

I think I'd skip the first 100 miles which I already did and don't see much point on repeating. I'd head straight for Leadville and spend a week there getting acclimated by doing day hikes first. I think I'd go mid August instead of 1st week of September, seeing they seem to be getting a lot of early snow the last few years.
    I was there in Leadville 2019 the first week of September and was in the 90's . Denver hit a record 100' . Go figure huh , weathers like a " box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get " .

Hoping this is my year for this trail! Not going to be able to do the PCT this year (after doing the AT last year), and this seems like the best option for a long hike for me.

I've done a few hikes out in CO the last few years (a loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness and a couple of day hikes around Vail). I didn't come across any problems with acclimating to the elevation, and this is coming from someone from DC. I guess everyone is different though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Hoping this is my year for this trail! Not going to be able to do the PCT this year (after doing the AT last year), and this seems like the best option for a long hike for me.

I've done a few hikes out in CO the last few years (a loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness and a couple of day hikes around Vail). I didn't come across any problems with acclimating to the elevation, and this is coming from someone from DC. I guess everyone is different though.
    I think all the years of being a tobacco smoker was part of my problem. When I was in my 30's I could climb to over 9K and smoke a cigarette at the summit and not fall over. But I've been tobacco free for nearly 10 years now and I think I'm finally getting my wind back. Now it's just old age

You can gain some quick acclimatization just by sleeping at high elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodman View Post
    You can gain some quick acclimatization just by sleeping at high elevation.
    Got to get there first. My plan next time is to spend some time in Leadville before getting serious.

Journal Entries

Anyone on this forum ever started June 15? I am a school teacher and must be back by 1 Aug. I know I am looking at postholing some after Breck.
    Any idea how much?
    I am looking at the SNOTEL graphs and if it doesn't snow in April, that would be HUGE; also if it is a warm May, equally HUGE.
    Questions:
    1. I am thinking no microspikes b/c I see mixed reviews on them - and I don't want to carry them. Concur?
    2. Lots of postholing after breck probably - how many days?
    3. I am a flyfishing angler and thinking I would bring a light rod and consume a few fresh fish. Is it worth the weight to do this? I am in my mid 50's - so strong, but was much stronger when I was young.
    4. Collegiate Loop - probably should take the East considering it will be early July and on a time crunch. Concur?
    5. Any tips for a first time thruhiker? I have consumed a couple of books, listened to podcasts and feel quite comfortable in the backcountry. I have bagged some 14ers (all within the last 10 yrs) used to live in CO and feel comfortable with the terrain. But tips are always helpful.

-thanks and I appreciate your time to reply.

Might be a tad early. I'm on the CT Facebook group and this has been another big snow year for them. In fact, they just got more the other day. The other problem is there was a lot of avalanche damage last winter which wasn't all cleaned up over the summer. Volunteer crews will probably not be out until July at the earliest. These tangles of trees slow you way down getting past them.

It's really hard to predict how much snow you will encounter. No doubt there will be some well into July. Last year a thru hike wasn't even possible until sometime in July. I don't think you need to traverse any steep snowfields, so doing without spikes should be okay. Find out what conditions are just before you leave, although they will be changing quickly as August approaches.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like there are very many places to fish. Your mostly up on a ridge line, but you do cross a few good sized streams here and there. You'd have to do some serious research to decide if it would be worth the gear and license. If you do catch a fish, you need a way to cook it, (camp fires are discouraged or forbidden due to wild fire concerns) and have waste you need to dispose of without attracting critters into your camp (especially a big one). Your not going to have a lot of time to sit around and fish if you doing the required miles.

It's kind of a long haul between towns, so doing a good job of managing your food is important. You need to keep the weight down, but carry enough for a 100 miles, 5 - 6 days. Try to keep your fully loaded pack weight well under 20 pounds. Trying to bang out 20 -25 miles a day in the thin air is a lot of work and the more weight on your back, the harder it is. A lesion I learned. There are a few places where it's a long, long way between water sources so you need a way to deal with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd13 View Post
    Anyone on this forum ever started June 15? I am a school teacher and must be back by 1 Aug. I know I am looking at postholing some after Breck.
    Any idea how much?
    I am looking at the SNOTEL graphs and if it doesn't snow in April, that would be HUGE; also if it is a warm May, equally HUGE.
    Questions:
    1. I am thinking no microspikes b/c I see mixed reviews on them - and I don't want to carry them. Concur?
    3. I am a flyfishing angler and thinking I would bring a light rod and consume a few fresh fish. Is it worth the weight to do this? I am in my mid 50's - so strong, but was much stronger when I was young.
    4. Collegiate Loop - probably should take the East considering it will be early July and on a time crunch. Concur?
    5. Any tips for a first time thruhiker? I have consumed a couple of books, listened to podcasts and feel quite comfortable in the backcountry. I have bagged some 14ers (all within the last 10 yrs) used to live in CO and feel comfortable with the terrain. But tips are always helpful.

It's going to snow in April.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Todd13 View Post
    Any idea how much?
    Questions:

This is about an average snowpack year, slightly above in the central mountains, slightly low in the SW, but this could change easily given that April is the 2nd snowiest month. Still, you have a really good chance of not having too much misery to deal with starting mid June. I know lots of folks who started earlier than that and were successful.

Your 1st postholing will be before Breck, Georgia pass, about 10-15 miles before breck. So what. Personally though, I'd take microspikes for a mid-June start. Kokomo and Searle passes can be tricky in late June.

You might indeed want to do the east side of the collegiates, but stay tuned, if April (and May) is dry, who knows. The west side is sooooo choice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Might be a tad early. I'm on the CT Facebook group and this has been another big snow year for them. In fact, they just got more the other day.
    Not sure where that FB group is getting it's data, but CO is at 105% statewide, I wouldn't call that a "big year". Here's the data as of April 3:

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref...pdate_snow.pdf

Please take FB groups with a huge grain of salt. There is so much bad information posted there, the mind boggles. Anecdotal, but a perfect example: One of the most popular PCT FB groups came to a consensus of not carrying microspikes for early PCT hikers this year.... well of course one poor young soul heeded this advice and lost his life on Apache Peak (mile 169 or so), falling to his death. Having simple traction devices might very well have prevented this. Another 2 had to be "rescued" from the same area. 24 SAR personnel were involved, not exactly good social distancing.

Like every single year, it's way too early to be definitive on a good time to start a CT thru hike, stay tuned!

Oh, and BTW, I'm not a fisherman, but I do see lots of folks carrying rods on CT hikes. World class fishing in lots of places along the trail, though lots of places not so much. Mile 0-6, right out of the gate is very popular, for example, the South Platte river.

Journal Entries

Thanks SLO-go'en, Col Rob and Lonehiker.

I do know I have to get to mid May to really know what the snowpack levels will mean; just antsy sitting at home, accumulating some small gear additions. I watch the SNOTEL data weekly and I see the same: looks more like a median year than anything else when you get into the details. If we have a dry April, I might just get lucky.

As for cooking, I am not a big campfire guy - I use the small MSR Pocket Rocket and warm water. Was thinking a small pan to fry a fish or two would be ok. I have seen enough of the high mtn lakes to believe I could catch a few Bows and Cutties. Camper TV is good for Jeep camping.

I will look at the microspikes again; won't carry those and a Flyrod, both. Thanks -

As for Facebook - not gonna happen. Got off FB years ago. Not going back. I agree, too much info and drama for me to trust it - even for something not controversial like backpacking.

I appreciate your advice and I will start to monitor this thread routinely now.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++