Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 81 to 94 of 94
  1. #81

    Default

    well i think it's time to restart this old thread. unfortunately i never made it out to the CT in 2018 or 2019. Life is too short and 2020 is going to be my year. just re-read all the great info and wanted to shout out a Hello to all of you. 1st time on White Blaze in awhile and Happy to be back.

  2. #82

    Default

    I'm also seriously thinking about giving the CT another try next summer. It could be then or never.

    I think I'd skip the first 100 miles which I already did and don't see much point on repeating. I'd head straight for Leadville and spend a week there getting acclimated by doing day hikes first. I think I'd go mid August instead of 1st week of September, seeing they seem to be getting a lot of early snow the last few years.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  3. #83

    Default

    i think a mid August start would be good and i plan on driving my truck down to the Durango area before starting my hike. i like the idea of easy access of my vehicle at the end of the hike.

  4. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i think a mid August start would be good and i plan on driving my truck down to the Durango area before starting my hike. i like the idea of easy access of my vehicle at the end of the hike.
    I started the last week in July, finished on August 30.

  5. #85

    Default

    it never happened if you don't share some pictures with us

  6. #86

    Default

    Okay, I can prove it sort of happened... Next time remind me to get a cowboy hat. That open trail, high elevation with lots of sun is brutal.

    IMG_20160907_160918_1.jpg
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    506

    Default

    But you're so handsome slo, don't be so shy. Actually pictured you older, no offense please. This means I guess this actually happened?

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Oh, by the way your left eye brow needs trimming. Lol .

  9. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    But you're so handsome slo, don't be so shy. Actually pictured you older, no offense please. This means I guess this actually happened?
    Well, that was a couple of years ago. 100 miles of it actually happened Learned (or remembered) a few things on that trip.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm also seriously thinking about giving the CT another try next summer. It could be then or never.

    I think I'd skip the first 100 miles which I already did and don't see much point on repeating. I'd head straight for Leadville and spend a week there getting acclimated by doing day hikes first. I think I'd go mid August instead of 1st week of September, seeing they seem to be getting a lot of early snow the last few years.
    I was there in Leadville 2019 the first week of September and was in the 90's . Denver hit a record 100' . Go figure huh , weathers like a " box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get " .

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-10-2017
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Hoping this is my year for this trail! Not going to be able to do the PCT this year (after doing the AT last year), and this seems like the best option for a long hike for me.

    I've done a few hikes out in CO the last few years (a loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness and a couple of day hikes around Vail). I didn't come across any problems with acclimating to the elevation, and this is coming from someone from DC. I guess everyone is different though.

  12. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Hoping this is my year for this trail! Not going to be able to do the PCT this year (after doing the AT last year), and this seems like the best option for a long hike for me.

    I've done a few hikes out in CO the last few years (a loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness and a couple of day hikes around Vail). I didn't come across any problems with acclimating to the elevation, and this is coming from someone from DC. I guess everyone is different though.
    I think all the years of being a tobacco smoker was part of my problem. When I was in my 30's I could climb to over 9K and smoke a cigarette at the summit and not fall over. But I've been tobacco free for nearly 10 years now and I think I'm finally getting my wind back. Now it's just old age
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-30-2019
    Location
    Fines Creek, North Carolina
    Age
    66
    Posts
    28

    Default

    You can gain some quick acclimatization just by sleeping at high elevation.

  14. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodman View Post
    You can gain some quick acclimatization just by sleeping at high elevation.
    Got to get there first. My plan next time is to spend some time in Leadville before getting serious.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •