WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Images

BTW, here's a look at the higher part of section 7, real time, imagine this a month from now? Should be no problem, might sip the microspikes afterall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7R...GdIE_OaxBdAEqg

With the hurdles involved with hiking the PCT and AT this year, I'm now thinking about the CT. I started doing research and although I have looked, I can't find information anywhere that says Colorado is enforcing a 14 day quarantine for out of state travelers. Anyone know if that is a requirement?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    BTW, here's a look at the higher part of section 7, real time, imagine this a month from now? Should be no problem, might sip the microspikes afterall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7R...GdIE_OaxBdAEqg
    Yeah I will post up my decision regarding NOBO vs SOBO. That live cam of Breck is breathtaking. And equally worrisome, snow-wise. Hope you are right regarding snow.

Thinking NOBO would also allow me to skip some of the afternoon storms which are stronger in the southern range (from my limited experience climbing).

So today, I am leaning NOBO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Todd13 View Post
    Yeah I will post up my decision regarding NOBO vs SOBO. That live cam of Breck is breathtaking. And equally worrisome, snow-wise. Hope you are right regarding snow.

Thinking NOBO would also allow me to skip some of the afternoon storms which are stronger in the southern range (from my limited experience climbing).

So today, I am leaning NOBO.
    I think NOBO is a good idea this year. I think our paths will probably cross somewhere along the trail! Enjoy Colorado!

Hi all, first time attempting the CT. I'm planning a SOBO trek this summer, with an anticipated July 6th start date, but the flexibility to move it up one or two weeks. I've been cross-referencing the Guide Book with PMags online, trying to plan out re-supplies and wanted your opinions. Certainly everyone's options are different, but I'm wondering if there are any glaring problems:

(I will check/confirm with all mail drops prior to sending.)

1. Breckenridge/Frisco (Mail drop, but location not decided).
    2. Twin Lakes general store. (Mail drop)
    3. Monarch Crest Store (plan on going Collegiate West if snowlevel seems good) (Mail drop)
    4. Either SH 114 crossing at 302 miles or SH 149 crossing at 357 miles. (For these, my gf will drop off. Since she can only drop off on weekends one or the other should work).
    5. Molas Lake Campground.

The first leg to Breck is, I think, 104 miles of hiking. Similarly, if I do SH 114 to Molas Lake CG that could be about 107 miles. This may be a stretching it. I did Katahdin to Monson ME on the AT which was 120 miles or so, with food to spare. Still every trail is different. Any thoughts?

-Fats

Quote Originally Posted by cvontagen View Post
    Hi all, first time attempting the CT. I'm planning a SOBO trek this summer, with an anticipated July 6th start date, but the flexibility to move it up one or two weeks. I've been cross-referencing the Guide Book with PMags online, trying to plan out re-supplies and wanted your opinions. Certainly everyone's options are different, but I'm wondering if there are any glaring problems:

3. Monarch Crest Store (plan on going Collegiate West if snowlevel seems good) (Mail drop)
    4. Either SH 114 crossing at 302 miles or SH 149 crossing at 357 miles. (For these, my gf will drop off. Since she can only drop off on weekends one or the other should work).

The first leg to Breck is, I think, 104 miles of hiking. Similarly, if I do SH 114 to Molas Lake CG that could be about 107 miles. This may be a stretching it. I did Katahdin to Monson ME on the AT which was 120 miles or so, with food to spare. Still every trail is different. Any thoughts?

-Fats
    Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. Proivided I can knock out the remaining 167 miles I have on the AT this summer, considering CT SOBO starting last week of June in 2021. Would give me a few days to get ahead the 4th July rush that weekend.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

-Fats
    Couple of thoughts:

Is Monarch Crest accepting resupply packages this year? I keep meaning to check, but somehow in my failing memory I seem to have heard they might not be. If not, I'll probably just have my wife meet me there and I'll time it to make it convenient for her.

I do plan on resupplying in Breck, Twin Lakes, Monarch and Molas pass, with maybe a stroll into Creed down the dirt road, or again, having my wife met me, so your plan is similar to mine.

I would consider starting a week earlier if you could; if you get on the CO trail Facebook page, it seems like a zillion folks are planning on starting on or right around July 6.

As I'm sure you know, Waterton is closed, so you'll have to start either at Roxborough or Indian Creek.

Even starting in late June, I think the Collegiate West should be very reasonable this year with respect to old snow. There will still be some around, but it should not be too bad.

Enjoy!

-Fats
    You'll be fine.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thanks Colorado Rob! I'll be checking Monarch Crest personally, although, I've heard it reported as accepting drops on the Facebook page. I will confirm this week.

Also, that's encouraging about starting earlier. I may aim for a June 29th start instead. I appreciated your earlier advice about starting on a Monday or Tuesday. Yes, I've seen that Waterton is closed. I plan on taking Indian Creek unless Waterton happens to open before my start.

Thanks for the help!
    -Fats

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    You'll be fine.
    Thanks, lonehiker!

Journal Entries

I called the Monarch Crest Spur and RV park and they are accepting packages.

Images

I called the Monarch Crest Spur and RV park and they are accepting packages.
    OutSTANDing, thanks for letting us know!

Woops.. I got excited before your words soaked in... The Monarch Crest Spur and RV park is not the same as the Monarch Crest store and is 5-6 miles away from the actual Monarch Crest store. If you're doing the "classic CT", the trail crosses highway 50 very near the Monarch Crest Spur and RV park, so you're good there. But if you plan on doing the CT collegiate west alternate, you're have to hitch down and back (or walk down and back, 5+ miles each way).
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 05-31-2020 at 13:25.

Journal Entries

I read this twice....you got MY attention for sure! I kinda have a diet restriction, so I am sending packages to myself most of the way.

I am doing the classic route (East) - maybe I can return and hit the more picturesque West route later. Are there a lot of alpine lakes on the West side? I am a fly fisher and that would make for an epic backpacking and fishing loop one summer.

Lastly, with Fremont pass dropping 8" in 3 days, I will go SOBO. It's in the high 20's and I am 3-4 weeks from passing through 7 - 9. Removes the added altitude burden and steeper start.

How hard do you think hitching a ride to Lake City will be?

Images

I read this twice....you got MY attention for sure! I kinda have a diet restriction, so I am sending packages to myself most of the way.

I am doing the classic route (East) - maybe I can return and hit the more picturesque West route later. Are there a lot of alpine lakes on the West side? I am a fly fisher and that would make for an epic backpacking and fishing loop one summer.

Lastly, with Fremont pass dropping 8" in 3 days, I will go SOBO. It's in the high 20's and I am 3-4 weeks from passing through 7 - 9. Removes the added altitude burden and steeper start.

How hard do you think hitching a ride to Lake City will be?
    I think you're starting from Denver a week after I am (I start June 8), BUT I am taking a week off to do a hike with wife and friends, so you might catch me, look for an old grey haired dude with a blue zpacks pack somewhere south of Monarch pass (where I'm getting off for a week).

Lots of great lakes on the C-west side, wish I could talk you into that route, same mileage as the east, more altitude of course.

Not sure about Lake City hitch, a hostel in LC used to come to the trailhead every day at a certain time (noon?), I'm probably going to do Creede this time in stead (opposite direction).

Starting when you are, this year I just wouldn't worry at all about snow, though you will be stepping in some on section 6, it really shouldn't be too bad by 6/22 or so. I might have some still annoying snow being a week earlier. We'll see! I do have a detour route in mind, I'll post it here in a pic; basically from Georgia pass (where the postholing might start), you could take the purple or red routes in stead of staying on the CT, avoiding the really annoying stuff just past GA pass in the high trees.

Enjoy, and I hope to see you out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

any leads on where to park near the northern terminus, might be headed that way in a few days. thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    any leads on where to park near the northern terminus, might be headed that way in a few days. thanks in advance
    You should be able to park at the entrance to the Waterton Canyon. Rob would know for sure, but I seem to remember walking by a big parking lot. It's popular with the mountain bikers. Unless you want to do the 4.4 mile Indian Creek approach, which apparently also has a parking lot. Finding it might be a little harder.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You should be able to park at the entrance to the Waterton Canyon. Rob would know for sure, but I seem to remember walking by a big parking lot. It's popular with the mountain bikers. Unless you want to do the 4.4 mile Indian Creek approach, which apparently also has a parking lot. Finding it might be a little harder.
    Normally one can park at Waterton for a CT thru hike, but not these days, the CTF website says that's because Waterton Canyon is only open on weekdays right now. Not sure about Indian Creek except that is a pay lot, might have a time limit, plus it's out in the middle of nowhere and I'd be a little concerned about vandalism. Most out of town CT hikers use an RV storage place.

One option that springs to mind is to park at one of the Denver airport hotels (even though you're driving here); we park there using "global airport parking", sometimes as cheap as $4 a day. You can then take the light rail to within about 8 miles of the trailhead, and Uber from there, or Uber directly from the airport, but that would be a bit of $$$. One compromise is to take light rail to Union station in downtown Denver, walk to the REI to get your stove fuel (if needed), then Uber to the trailhead from there.

Just fer grins, I checked globalairportparking and found $3.49/day for a month starting in mid August at the AmericInn near the airport.

Visit this page for some ideas:

https://coloradotrail.org/traveling-...ing-in-denver/

thanks everyone. might stick with the original plan of parking in Durango and hitching back up to Waterton Canyon to start

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    thanks everyone. might stick with the original plan of parking in Durango and hitching back up to Waterton Canyon to start
    Sounds like a great plan, nothing like hiking "home" to your own vehicle! Have fun, I'm bouncing around on sections the CT a bunch this summer (doing the "stay-cation" thing, ya know), who knows, might run into you.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++