WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Damascus food scene

a few changes. Cowboys Exxon is closed. drug bust. In the Country is closed. Hey Joe's is closed but a new owner is renovating the building and i hear it's going to be a diner of sorts. the building formerly known as Dot's Inn has new owners and renovation will begin soon. i'm hearing wood fired pizza will be on the menu. i hear Bobos will be leased out. don't know if they'll keep the name or what the menu will be. that's all for now

Journal Entries
    Images

Z

LONEWOLF whats the deal with all the things in Damascus this year? Not enough business?
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Z

LONEWOLF whats the deal with all the things in Damascus this year? Not enough business?
    there's plenty of business, just poor management

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Does Food City Café or Pizza Plus count? Or not being on the edge of town.

A small walkin Pal's location would go in good with all the AT/Creeper traffic. <wishlist>
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanx for the updates, LW.

When I walked through this area I ate at Dots, they even let my dog in and he slept on my feet under my booth. The next time I came thru here Dots was closed, but the BBQ place was open seasonally, well I heard they are closed now for good as well. I would consider Damascus to be a pretty happening little town, and would have to agree that for the food market it has just been poor management. Several outfitters have stayed open successfully over the years so what gives? lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Did Cowboy still bring food each night to The Place?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    When I walked through this area I ate at Dots, they even let my dog in and he slept on my feet under my booth. The next time I came thru here Dots was closed, but the BBQ place was open seasonally, well I heard they are closed now for good as well. I would consider Damascus to be a pretty happening little town, and would have to agree that for the food market it has just been poor management. Several outfitters have stayed open successfully over the years so what gives? lol
    Lot's of people think "I can cook, I like people, I'll open a restaurant!" Add in under capitalization, seasonal customer base, competition, taxes, payroll, hiring a manager, so you can sleep once in a while, inflation, dealing with vendors, rent, trash removal, employee training and turnover, and a hundred other little hurdles to deal with every day.

I'm a retired Revenue Officer (think business analyst) and I've seen a hundred different ways that people have failed at running restaurants. From inventory theft, to not even knowing what the cost/profit was for their highest selling meal, to highly perishable inventory kept on hand for rarely served meals. It's a difficult business, and a lot of owners are learning on the fly, while others never learn.

Journal Entries

I have at least 4;personal instances I can think of where highly succesfull , long running, popular restaurants I frequented were ruined by new ownership.

Even handed a success, many can ruin it. Never enough to just leave things alone for some.

Then, I have one where original owner lost his business in civil lawsuit (drunk driving accident). The new owners didn't touch it and it's 75% of it's heyday 30 yrs later. Like stepping n a time warp. Same pictures, menu, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have at least 4;personal instances I can think of where highly succesfull , long running, popular restaurants I frequented were ruined by new ownership.
    Then there are also occasions where the old ownership is the cause of the problem. This would be those local type places where someone has run it for years but only done very basic upkeep on the place, thus allowing them to continue offering prices that are a bit lower than they really should be.

When they decide to sell, the new buyers see that it has done well and buy in, but wind up getting stuck with more than usual costs (for the things that should have been fixed but weren't) which causes them to raise prices to cover that and all those "locals" to complain that it's now too expensive to go there, causing the business to fall off and no longer be profitable.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Then there are also occasions where the old ownership is the cause of the problem. This would be those local type places where someone has run it for years but only done very basic upkeep on the place, thus allowing them to continue offering prices that are a bit lower than they really should be.

When they decide to sell, the new buyers see that it has done well and buy in, but wind up getting stuck with more than usual costs (for the things that should have been fixed but weren't) which causes them to raise prices to cover that and all those "locals" to complain that it's now too expensive to go there, causing the business to fall off and no longer be profitable.
    I wouldn't say the old ownership was the cause of the problem. I'd say the old ownership didn't have the debt to service that the new ownership did, and that's a lot of the reason for the new ownership to have to raise prices.

In one of my instances we had a restaurant near my house my wife and I ate it once a week for a year after we built our house. Excellent rib eyeswith a salad, for outstanding price . In 1995 it was $6 for a ribeye and a salad there. Anywhere else would have been $9 and not as good. The owner would come around and say hi to you while you were eating .

Owner sold out and retired. New owner of immediately started serving cheaper cuts of meat and some kind of nasty salad pre-mixed with house dressing .We only had to eat there once to know we would never go back and never did. The place had been there for 20 years, a neighborhood Eatery. The new owner ran into the ground in under a year.

In a few years another place opened up there, and has been there ever since known for great food. Handed a great location and a great business someone managed to not make it work.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-20-2018 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Did Cowboy still bring food each night to The Place?
    he passed away a coupla years ago. he stopped doing that many years ago

Hey Lone Wolf,
    I'm sure glad Subway is still there (hint, hint).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

++ New Posts ++