WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hiker Funk Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    . . . when in Rome do as the Romans. If I'm a guest in another country, I should abide by their rules.
    But, what if the Romans practice is breaking their own rules. Are you going to do as the Romans do or follow their rules. You can't always do both.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hiker Funk Rant

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Maybe I've been spoiled living with running hot and cold water and flushing toilets but I have little tolerance for overwhelming hiker funk to include the scent of my own musk.

Now don't get me wrong, in the military I've experienced and accumulated hiker funk that would make a skunk envious but I try tried to mitigate it whenever possible.

Some hikers appear to consider Super-funk a badge of honor...I just don't get it.

While hiking the AT I see no reason for folks to hop into the shelter stinking to Hi-Heaven. For crying out loud drag a wash cloth across your backside, pits and nether regions. I'll add to that you can carry 1/2 ounce of tree oil and add a few drops to your washing water to keep the bacteria count down. If you're concerned about gram counting then shave your exceptionally long beard, trim your pit and nether region hair, you'll lose some grams and reduce your bacteria count and stinkability.

OK...just my two cents
    Before I thru-hike and had not spent much time with long distance hikers I was exposed to "Hiker Funk". I was doing a day hike on the AT in Connecticut. It was mid day and I stopped at a shelter. Some one was in a Conner, in a sleeping bag. He did not stir. I approached him to see if he was all right and the smell coming from him made me gag. At first I thought that he may have died. I called to him and he started to stir. I asked him if he was all right? I had to keep my distance from him in order to carry on a conversation. The hiker was a SOBO. He had been hiking for around three months and had not taken a shower since he started. I asked him if he washed up in a pond or stream and he told me the water was always too cold.
    After meeting him, I pledged that I would never let that happen to me on my thru-hike. The longest time I ever went without a shower was once for 13 days. Most of the time it was more like 5 to 7 days at town stops. In between showers I did a lot of washing up in ponds and streams or just would wash up by heating some water in my cooking pot and washing up with a bandana.
    It doesn't take much effort to stay from "Hiker Funk" but once some young people leave home, and don't have someone to tell them to take a shower they don't practice good hygiene.
    Grampie-N->2001

Can we talk about how badly day hikers reek of bug dope, fabric softener, and hair conditioner? I got to the point where I could smell dayhikers 1/4 mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Can we talk about how badly day hikers reek of bug dope, fabric softener, and hair conditioner? I got to the point where I could smell dayhikers 1/4 mile away.
    And they could probably smell you from 1/4 mile away.

Journal Entries

With all this talk of hiker funk, I have a question.

When is a sock dirty?

It used to be, before I began section-hiking the AT, that socks always went from my feet to the laundry basket no matter if they were worn for only a little while, no matter if there was no sweat. Just the simple fact that the sock had stretched and conformed to my foot was enough so that it couldn't be considered clean enough to put back on.

Not so anymore. Life on the trail has redefined the dirty sock. I frequently wear socks two or three days before washing them. Sweaty socks dry out overnight. So long as they can't walk on their own, and don't reek, I wear them again. In a small way I feel like a hiker when I do this, even if I'm just going to work and sit in front of a computer all day. I sit there and pretend to be a regular normal worker, but my feet know better!

Journal Entries

Illabelle,

I once saw a guy with socks so "Dirty," They not only smelled funky, they were actually crusty. I have 3 pairs of socks. 1 for hiking in, 1 for sleeping in and the final pair in case I need a dry pair from rain or accidentally getting them wet while crossing a creek.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post

When is a sock dirty?

It used to be, before I began section-hiking the AT, that socks always went from my feet to the laundry basket no matter if they were worn for only a little while, no matter if there was no sweat. Just the simple fact that the sock had stretched and conformed to my foot was enough so that it couldn't be considered clean enough to put back on.

Not so anymore. Life on the trail has redefined the dirty sock. I frequently wear socks two or three days before washing them. Sweaty socks dry out overnight. So long as they can't walk on their own, and don't reek, I wear them again. In a small way I feel like a hiker when I do this, even if I'm just going to work and sit in front of a computer all day. I sit there and pretend to be a regular normal worker, but my feet know better!
    On the AT I can wear socks for a week without taking them off my feet. But I often rub down my Piggies at night time.

Out west sometimes you have to wash your socks out once every 10 miles to avoid the dirt of abrading your feet. That's the difference between a very dry environment and the AT. Soil on the AT gets damp just from dew overnight even when dont rain.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    And they could probably smell you from 1/4 mile away.
    Why would you assume that? I was an MATC employee, and washed regularly.

... Life on the trail has redefined the dirty sock. I frequently wear socks two or three days before washing them...
    Haha!
    Having used real leather shoes and mom-knitted wool socks, I have managed to wear the same pair for the better part of the winter, while doing my daily walk to and from work, as well as all the weekend hiking and BC skiing.
    Had to repair them almost every week, as the heel wore out that quick, but other than leather and wool there was no smell.

This sure would not work with any synthetics - while synthetics might last much longer, they start smelling after a few days.

Journal Entries

I think maybe I wasn't clear. On trail dirty socks are the norm. What I was trying to say is that I wear dirty socks to work. Didn't used to, but hey, I'm a hiker, "dirty" ain't what it used to be.

Journal Entries

I think maybe I wasn't clear. On trail dirty socks are the norm. What I was trying to say is that I wear dirty socks to work. Didn't used to, but hey, I'm a hiker, "dirty" ain't what it used to be.
    often wear my wool gym socks multiple times without washing them.
    When you run on treadmill or StairMaster Etc eventually they start to really smell.

One day I noticed they were smelling really bad...
    Turned out freaking cat peed on them.

Workout without socks that day.

If you wake in the middle of the night and the dirty socks you threw to the corner of the tent are putting on a puppet show standing erect and awaiting the days orders...it may be time for a zero day at the local swimmin’ hole.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    often wear my wool gym socks multiple times without washing them.
    When you run on treadmill or StairMaster Etc eventually they start to really smell.

One day I noticed they were smelling really bad...
    Turned out freaking cat peed on them.

Workout without socks that day.
    Bad kitty!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yeah, but you look and act like someone's beloved non homeless retired professional non tattooed good dental hygiene considering grandpa...you're apt to get more rides.
    . All true, but that's hard to see/know from a speeding car. Usually not an issue where near famous trails, but on remote trails (e.g. NM-AZ GET) drivers tend to see a homeless guy.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

When is a sock dirty?
    That's easy. A sock is dirty when, after having laundered it in a trail town, it still reeks.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    . All true, but that's hard to see/know from a speeding car. Usually not an issue where near famous trails, but on remote trails (e.g. NM-AZ GET) drivers tend to see a homeless guy.
    And even if you're close to a big trail, people might think you're Eric Randolph, or you are so close to suburbia that everyone instinctively locks their doors when they see you.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    That's easy. A sock is dirty when, after having laundered it in a trail town, it still reeks.
    I've pretty much switched from the gold standard Darn Tough's to lightweight synthetic socks for hiking. I go back and forth frequently though.

Once the DT's become a gross soggy mess that stay that way till laundering.

Lightweight synthetics or blends are vastly easier to clean on trail and actually dry in my experience.

For a LD hike on the AT where everything is always damp. I'm leaning towards my synthetics. They seem to be a more hygienic approach.

Your feet rotting are worse than hiker stench.

And the old merino vs synthetic smell debate. I have tried it all.

AT thru hikers have a tendency to use cheap polyester shirts over nylon or merino. Because they're cheap and durable.

Polyester athletic shirts stink to high heaven and at a certain point, washing does not remove odor.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I have found that a lot of your "funk" comes from what you put in your mouth. Our dietary limitations while thru hiking can make a huge difference in your odor. When your go into a town and try to drink a bottle of tequila, you will smell like that bottle the next morning. Food does the same thing in that your odor will come out smelling the same.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I have found that a lot of your "funk" comes from what you put in your mouth. Our dietary limitations while thru hiking can make a huge difference in your odor. When your go into a town and try to drink a bottle of tequila, you will smell like that bottle the next morning. Food does the same thing in that your odor will come out smelling the same.
    I don't remember eating anything that smelled like my shirt does after a day of hiking.......

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I don't remember eating anything that smelled like my shirt does after a day of hiking.......
    But I bet plenty of hikers are full of cheap calories, dollar-store jerky, and prepackaged pasta meals. Not exactly a balanced, wholesome diet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++