Default Florida trail guide

Do I need the trail guide to walk the FT?. Would Guthooks be enough? How well is the trail marked? Is starting in mid March too late? Lots of questions I know. I am an experienced hiker and may be taking this trail on sooner than I expected.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The trail is pretty well marked. I have found Guthooks a great tool and would highly recommend it.

The trail guide is very similar to the AT guide. (AWOL actually helped the authors redesign it a few years back.) Compared to the AT, I think the FT is poorly marked (I've section hiked 600 miles of FT and all of AT) and have gone miles without seeing an orange blaze on the FT. The guide is easily worth the 25 bucks.

Guthook is also a must have, but I used it as a backup to conserve battery life on phone. Would use Guthook when I got turned around on the FT and needed guidance back to the Trail. Done that at least a half dozen times on the FT. There are spots with no visible trail/blazes and it doesn't take much to wander off trail. Missed blazes twice on the AT but always knew how to get back to the trail without Guthook due to easy backtracking.

Weather is such a crapshoot in Florida nowadays. Coldest night I ever spent on any trail was in December north of Ocala 2 years ago. December before that it was pushing 90 degrees. Was below freezing in Orlando a few weeks ago. Was 85 the week after. Leaving in march? Most people start in January. It's gonna be hot but not "starting PCT 2 months late in June" hot.

Also...I'm kind of a gram weenie but will never hike in Florida without carrying a lightweight orange hunting vest and plenty of skeeter spray. Alway seems to be hunting season somewhere in Florida and every mosquito seems to want to watch the sunset with you. Oh yeah, permethrin your pants too. No shorts. Pants. Chiggers. If you don't know what chiggers are, you definitely will without permethrin'd pants.

Finally, start from Loop Road, not the Oasis Center. Oasis starts with with a boring slog along a fence. Loop road gets you in the swamp from the first few steps. Bummed when they cut Loop out of the official FT. One of the best parts of the trail.

Hope this helps. Wish more people would try the FT. It should be part of a "Big Four."

I am on the trail now, near mile 700; app is all I need for nav.

Guthooks is well with the $$$ on any trail....very handy when you hike with a kid.......are we there yet???? You can tell them exactly how much farther!!!! Drove me nuts! 21 mile day with my 11 yr old I heard it a few times!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++