WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Tarptent Notch Li

An hour ago, Tarptent updated their teaser and revealed that they are making a Notch in Cuben fiber!!!
    More to come, like price and specs... but this is what I've wished for!

Journal Entries

Default Cuben Tarptent notch

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    An hour ago, Tarptent updated their teaser and revealed that they are making a Notch in Cuben fiber!!!
    More to come, like price and specs... but this is what I've wished for!
    I just spoke to Henry Shires. pricing will be out in a couple days. expect the Notch to be appx 8oz less than original Notch
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Clint Eastwood.

26 - 8 = 18 ounces?
    Hmmmmmmm....
    I’m hanging on to my SS1.
    Wayne

Without a price tag, it's impossible to say much, other than that for a couple of ounces more, you can get a MUCH more spacious shelter from zPacks.

I am disappointed but holding out for other tent options. I would hope that Henry has done R n D prior to coming out with a lineup like this and know what he has to be competitive with, otherwise your just making your loyal customer, a little more happy instead of gaining more business. I would have like to see 2-3 tents revealed in the beginning. Ranging in size and to present the people with everything up front. Market the tent, and include specs and price. I would also have to say as coffee has that it is pretty much a no brainer from a weight perspective to go with a zpacks duplex over the TT Notch for another 2 oz and double the room. This leads me to believe that Henrey's price point will be a good chunk less than zpacks, otherwise...
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Wow lots of boo bears . I think it’s a great tent. Lots of venting. It makes my short list.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    26 - 8 = 18 ounces?
    Hmmmmmmm....
    I’m hanging on to my SS1.
    Wayne
    As usual, I spoke too soon.
    19.5 ounces according to the TarpTent web page.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Wow lots of boo bears . I think it’s a great tent. Lots of venting. It makes my short list.

Thom
    Double wall. Part solid inner maybe? Use the rainfly alone. Quoted weight is all up in useable configuration.
    I do appreciate leaving my SS1 solid inner in the car whenever possible.
    Not knocking the Notch Lithium. My SS1 is less than a year old. I'm good.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

If everybody based their shelter purchase on weight only , we would all be under an open tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    If everybody based their shelter purchase on weight only , we would all be under an open tarp.
    My sentiments exactly.
    Weight is usually well down on my list of selection criteria.
    Wayne

The last two would be TT customers I demonstrated our products to both were changing from the same brand (not mentioned in this thread) because of lack of weather protection. So both were looking for a lightweight product that offered better protection than what they had.
    ( I don't sell them, just look after enquiries...)
    For others it has to do with internal space , often headroom.
    Something similar happened when I was selling cameras.
    Many opted for the smallest of the type for some to later realise that it was too small for their hands.

I can't wait to see the whole thing. To me it looks like an alternative to the Solplex without the sloping roof. Even if it is heavier, I've looked at enough of Henry's designs to know that he will be bringing something different (potentionally exceptional) to the table.

I kinda hope it's unreasonably priced....only as a means to prevent me from buying one. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Only a couple ounces, but the TT weights include stakes and guy lines.

The reason I bought a Notch was FOR the smaller size. I have a two person tent, and among other issues, it took up too much space costing extra time, work, or simply having to settle for a bad spot.
    Perhaps he's testing the waters with the light weight option first, and if it's a success he may try the stratospire 1 and 2.

The last two would be TT customers I demonstrated our products to both were changing from the same brand (not mentioned in this thread) because of lack of weather protection. So both were looking for a lightweight product that offered better protection than what they had.
    ( I don't sell them, just look after enquiries...)
    For others it has to do with internal space , often headroom.
    Something similar happened when I was selling cameras.
    Many opted for the smallest of the type for some to later realise that it was too small for their hands.
    Appreciate your comments.

I was hoping for a 2p tent.

Though what is interesting to see is the tents given without weight for all the necessary stakes and those that have the weight with "everything everything"

For me it is weight in a shelter that is bug-proof and has enough room to keep my gear inside, with cost an important but secondary consideration.

"Though what is interesting to see is the tents given without weight for all the necessary stakes and those that have the weight with "everything everything"
    There is a brand that used to send out some shelters with 1 g stakes . Nobody used them, apart for the occasional non supporting tie out , but it could still be claimed that stakes were included.
    Mind you, I still have to see one type of stake that everybody likes.
    (why don't manufacturers supply the stakes that I like... , sort of comment )

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    I can't wait to see the whole thing. To me it looks like an alternative to the Solplex without the sloping roof. Even if it is heavier, I've looked at enough of Henry's designs to know that he will be bringing something different (potentionally exceptional) to the table.

I kinda hope it's unreasonably priced....only as a means to prevent me from buying one. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    It looks like an exact replica of the Notch, but made out of cuben. If you aren't familiar with the Notch, there are lots of pics and a set-up video on their website.
    Two good sized vestibules, two doors, under a minute to pitch, etc.

My first tent was a two person tent, primarily because when car camping, I like my stuff laid out inside the tent next to me and thought that I'd need that backpacking, too. Turns out I don't need that. The ice (mice) thread and others I've read here let me know that if a critter wants to get into your pack, they will chew through your screen or tent to get to in. Also, leaning my pack against the trekking pole in the vestibule is just outside the zippered door and easily accessible from a sitting position inside the tent.
    The vestibules are large and low enough that nothing has gotten wet when it rains - except the waist band of my pack once when I was careless about placement.

The left and right side are identical, which saves time if pitching in the rain; no need to figure out which end is which.

The "beak" vestibule on my Squall 2 (the predecessor to the Motrail) was velcroed rather than zippered. The Notch is zippered. I much prefer the zipper, even if it weighs an ounce or two more than velcro.

Pricing just announced: $650!!!

Sorry, but for that price, a Zpacks Solplex is a better bargain. More floor space, longer, lighter, and cheaper.

I love my Notch, but no way would I buy it again at that price vs the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Pricing just announced: $650!!!
    OMG ...

so much for my hope for zPacks to experience pressure on pricing ... love zPacks but was hoping they would have to cut prices due to competition. Nope!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++