WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

According to the Zpacks website, the exterior ridgeline width for the Duplex is 53 inches
    http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/duplex.shtml#dimensions

According to the Ripstop by the roll website, the Width of a roll of Dyneema is 54 inches.
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...mposite-fabric

Hummm.........makes me wonder if Joe Valesco ( owner of zpacks ) spent some time focusing on the ease of manufacturing, when he designed the duplex. That long wide panal that makes up the roof is probobly easier to mfg into a tent then the panels on competitor tents or even his other models, thus reducing the cost of waste and assembly.

Perhaps that is the genius of the Duplex Shelter and why it sells so well.

Kudos to Joe for designing the "volkswagon" of Dyneema tents.

All I can say is.

I just picked up my new camo duplex for the USPS.

And this is the most baller home I've ever had.

For a few months in the buggy, rainy, muddy environment the AT has to offer, I think I'll be happy in my two person palace. Also.. great ventilation. I'm

I'm glad I made the decision to get one just by looking it over.

If I'm lucky enough to hike other trails on the other side of the country, I'll go back to a lighter more modular setup. Tarp and bivy probably.

For the east this thing is awesome.

As for the notch. My brother has one in silnylon.

Nice shelter. Looks nice in Cuben. But at that price I'm sure many people will pass on by.

Not saying it's not worth it. But, most people don't splurge $400+ for a stinkin tent. Unless they knows it's for them/what they need for their objectives.

And many just simply don't have the money

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

yes i agree..........i get along with a 25 dollar flip phone and a 25 dollar month cricket plan............

IF i implied that you were going to be living out of a volkswagon for the next several months i sincerely apologize

Price reduced to $599.

Statement from TarpTent posted earlier:

We launched Tarptent on April 15, 2002. On that day, we made the statement on tarptent.com: "What's next? You tell us. We listen."
    Fast forward to 2018. You're still telling us and we're still listening. The Notch Li is the culmination of a year of product engineering and development and a direct byproduct of what many of you have been asking us to produce. Dyneema® is a high-performance, expensive fabric, and the truth is that we have resisted using it because it conflicts with our firm commitment to produce affordable "Sewn in Seattle" shelters. Our commitment to an affordable product lineup remains, but the Lithium series offers us and you a chance to move into another dimension of ultralight performance where price comes second.
    We set the initial price based on our costs and on a survey of other Dyneema® double wall shelters. Then, you responded, and we listened. Intently. We heard you. As our vision statement says, our mission is "to lessen the load and lift the spirit by providing lightweight, innovative shelters." We think the Notch Li is a fantastic product and we want you to have it. Toward that end, when ordering opens tomorrow, the price will be $599. Please be patient as we work to increase our production capability and efficiency.
    We're all in this together and we couldn't do what we do without you. Thank you.
    -The Tarptent Team

The price drop was a good move. It puts them in a nice place to compete in the market, especially with a unknown product.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    All I can say is.

I just picked up my new camo duplex for the USPS.

And this is the most baller home I've ever had.

For a few months in the buggy, rainy, muddy environment the AT has to offer, I think I'll be happy in my two person palace. Also.. great ventilation. I'm

I'm glad I made the decision to get one just by looking it over.

If I'm lucky enough to hike other trails on the other side of the country, I'll go back to a lighter more modular setup. Tarp and bivy probably.

For the east this thing is awesome.

As for the notch. My brother has one in silnylon.

Nice shelter. Looks nice in Cuben. But at that price I'm sure many people will pass on by.

Not saying it's not worth it. But, most people don't splurge $400+ for a stinkin tent. Unless they knows it's for them/what they need for their objectives.

Most people don't buy a tent at all , they rather play tennis or something, but I find it curious that you mention $400 plus for a stinking tent when obviously there are a lot of hikers that have bought Cuben Fiber tents and $400 isn't really even a median price for those...

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Most people don't buy a tent at all , they rather play tennis or something, but I find it curious that you mention $400 plus for a stinking tent when obviously there are a lot of hikers that have bought Cuben Fiber tents and $400 isn't really even a median price for those...
    Yes but the amount of hikers who buy <$400 tents like tarptents and other silnylon tents far outweigh the amount of people buying cuben.

I'm in the cuben crowd. But hiking is a big part of my life.

When I was young our tent was a knotted handkerchief on our heads and that was considered a luxury...
    ( I'm going to look up now how that word came about...)
    A few minutes ago I was on a photo forum where people are going on about $3000 camera bodies. Then you need to buy a lens or two for it to work.
    We are lucky here.

Turns out the handkerchief, the word, did originate from two words that in French meant head covering. So I was doing it right all along. And to think of what people do now with them now !
    Franco.jpg

If I were selling a product, I would listen to potential customers instead of trying to convince them that their basis for buying is wrong. Business 101.

If I want a floorless option I pull out my 9oz tarp. I do not look for versatility in my shelters. I put 2000 miles on my TT strato without using it once without the mesh inner.

Henry did lower his price to $599 FWIW
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

People have been begging for Henry to release a cuben tent and Henry always maintained a position that he wouldn’t sell a tent that he thought was too expensive. Now he produces a tent that’s expensive and people are having a fit. Hilarious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    People have been begging for Henry to release a cuben tent and Henry always maintained a position that he wouldn’t sell a tent that he thought was too expensive. Now he produces a tent that’s expensive and people are having a fit. Hilarious.

What would have been even more fun is if he had raised the price...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person............21 oz plus the weight of 8 stakes
    Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person.........19.9 oz includes the weight of 4 stakes

Tarptent Notch Li approx 10 oz for the tarp without the inner net
    Zpacks Duplex non removeable floor and netting..........

Tarptent Notch Potential to purchase Inner with semi solid walls for semi 4 season use
    Zpacks Duplex not an option

Tarptent Notch Ability to replace inner, floor takes most of the wear
    Zpacks Notch ? can always repair

Tarptent Notch set up in 2-3minutes minutes anyone with a Notch or Moment knows this
    Zpacks Duplex 8 stakes to place and adjust

You may want to look at the Notch for its versatility........sort of like an adaptable "system" instead of a pure distinct solution OR you may not..............

It may be more comparable to products like
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...ht-system.html
    https://www.yamamountaingear.com/cub...rriform-sw-1p/

Merely trying to provide a slightly different way of looking at it..........
    My thoughts exactly. I really was really turned off that it takes 8 stakes to secure the z-packs soloplex or duplex the soloplex. The versatility of having the double wall is very nice. I would really like to see a Saddle 2 with Dyneema. Interested to see what the weight and price would be in comparison.

The struts on several of the TT shelters reduce the amount of stakes and the space needed around the tent but increase production cost and weight.
    As they say, pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    What would have been even more fun is if he had raised the price...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA
    Lol. That would be classic.

It seems a lot of people are comparing the Notch Li with the Z-Packs Duplex. I don't see these as comparable products at all due to a number of reasons but one main reason being that the Notch is a single person tent and the Duplex is a two person tent. That brought me to wonder what the Saddle 2 would weigh if made with Dyneema. So, I took the difference % of the Notch to the Notch Li and calculated, in theory, what the Saddle 2 might weight if/when made with Dyneema.

(all numbers are in oz.)

Notch Fly: 16
    Notch Li Fly: 10.1
    % difference: 36.875% reduction

Notch Mesh Interior: 9.6
    Notch Li Mesh Interior: 8.2
    % difference: 14.583% reduction

Saddle 2 Fly: 20
    36.875% of 20 = 7.375
    Saddle 2 Mesh Interior: 16
    14.583% of 16 = 2.333

20 - 7.375 = 12.643
    16 - 2.333 = 13.667
    13.667 + 12.643 = 26.31 oz

Assuming the stakes and lines would weight the same either way my estimated weight of a Saddle 2 Li would be 27.31 oz.

I obviously know this is purely speculation and hopefully the Saddle 2 Li would weigh less than this but I do think that the saddle 2 would be a better comparison than the Notch Li to the Duplex.

Images

[QUOTE=JoeVogel;2195556]It seems a lot of people are comparing the Notch Li with the Z-Packs Duplex. I don't see these as comparable products at all due to a number of reasons but one main reason being that the Notch is a single person tent and the Duplex is a two person tent. That brought me to wonder what the Saddle 2 would weigh if made with Dyneema. So, I took the difference % of the Notch to the Notch Li and calculated, in theory, what the Saddle 2 might weight if/when made with Dyneema.

(all numbers are in oz.)

Notch Fly: 16
    Notch Li Fly: 10.1
    % difference: 36.875% reduction

Notch Mesh Interior: 9.6
    Notch Li Mesh Interior: 8.2
    % difference: 14.583% reduction

Saddle 2 Fly: 20
    36.875% of 20 = 7.375 I think you mean 63.125 % of 20 = 12.6 oz ( ? )
    Saddle 2 Mesh Interior: 16
    14.583% of 16 = 2.333

Images

DOH I now see shat you did .........IGNORE the previous post

Images

Dang............The Z packs Duplex does have a kinda of, sort of, double wall option

http://zpacks.com/accessories/double_wall_insert.shtml

3 oz and 99 buckeroos

ALSO:

The Zpacks Duplex TARP ( not the tent ) has a spec of 9.5 oz

From the web site

Weight:

• The Duplex Tarp with taped seams and sewn in linelocs weighs 9.5 ounces (269 grams)
    • The included guy lines and door clips weigh about 1.2 ounces (34 grams)
    • The sewn in bathtub floor and bug screen weighs 10.0 ounces (284 grams)
    • The included medium-plus 7" x 13" stuff sack adds .3 ounces (8 grams)
    • The total weight for the packed tent is 21.0 ounces (595 grams).
    • 8x Stakes are required but are not included. We have a variety of Ultralight Stakes to choose from.
    • These weights are as accurate as possible. Compare carefully! Many other manufacturers leave out seam sealing, lines, line locs, stuff sack, stakes, etc from their weights.

So your estimate of 27 oz seems to be a reasonable estimate , considering the Duplex an the Double wall insert would be 21 oz plus 3 oz = 24 oz. The extra 3 oz could be ( speculation ) in the carbon triangles at the ends.

More things to obsess about.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++