WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    "Though what is interesting to see is the tents given without weight for all the necessary stakes and those that have the weight with "everything everything"
    There is a brand that used to send out some shelters with 1 g stakes . Nobody used them, apart for the occasional non supporting tie out , but it could still be claimed that stakes were included.
    Mind you, I still have to see one type of stake that everybody likes.
    (why don't manufacturers supply the stakes that I like... , sort of comment )

I'm big on replacing the stakes for the most part ...

The product page is up with photos and specs :
    http://www.tarptent.com/notchli.html
    ntli-9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post

I'm big on replacing the stakes for the most part ...
    Conversely I was glad that my inventory of Easton stakes doubled when I bought my SS1. I now have a dozen of the Easton 8 3/4" x 0.375 inch stakes. I use them with all 3 of my tents.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The product page is up with photos and specs :
    http://www.tarptent.com/notchli.html
    ntli-9.jpg
    $649?!?!?

I like the idea of TT shelters, but an extra $50 for 2oz savings and smaller interior space?

I’m not so sure about this one, I’ll wait for the reviews to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    $649?!?!?

I like the idea of TT shelters, but an extra $50 for 2oz savings and smaller interior space?

I’m not so sure about this one, I’ll wait for the reviews to come out.
    The standard silnylon Notch with mesh inner (sil floor) is 27 oz , $314 .
    So you pay an extra $335 to save 7 oz.
    I did a comparison with a couple of Terra Nova shelters that also come out in silnylon and Cuben, their Cuben version, per oz saved, are more expensive.
    (https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/terra-nova-m18)
    If you buy the Notch Li with the silnylon floor mesh inner (instead of the DCF inner) , the weight goes up 2oz but you save $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Without a price tag, it's impossible to say much, other than that for a couple of ounces more, you can get a MUCH more spacious shelter from zPacks.
    On some nights, I was able to squeeze my less spacious Notch onto the only flat piece of ground for miles. I'm able to sleep, change clothes, take a sponge bath, read, and even set up a short clothesline to dry a piece of clothing overnight inside the Notch. My pack fit in the vestibule, my loose gear fit in the tent. I noticed a 10° temperature change from inside to outside the tent, so I suspect my body heat warms that small space efficiently. I'm only 5'10", and have no idea what I'd do with more space.

We all have different needs based on our hiking styles, height and what not. Just pointing out that more isn't always better.

The standard silnylon Notch with mesh inner (sil floor) is 27 oz , $314 .
    So you pay an extra $335 to save 7 oz.
    I did a comparison with a couple of Terra Nova shelters that also come out in silnylon and Cuben, their Cuben version, per oz saved, are more expensive.
    (https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/terra-nova-m18)
    If you buy the Notch Li with the silnylon floor mesh inner (instead of the DCF inner) , the weight goes up 2oz but you save $50.
    Yeah, I left out that I was comparing to the Duplex. For the full Dynema TT, it’s $50 more and smaller space than the Duplex. I was hoping it would be more competitive than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish makes a good point on the footprint of the shelters. I enjoy the room in my hexamid twin but it does indeed take a larger site and has, at times, been slightly problematic. One reason I haven't purchased the zpacks duplex is the even larger required land needed to pitch it.

I'm still rocking my TarpTent Contrail, and I too have found that its size is a serious constraint on the campsites that I can use. Working from memory, the Contrail is 9 feet long, so in practical terms I pretty much need a spot that's about 12 feet long and about 7 feet wide. I've squeezed into smaller spaces, but it's awkward as hell.

My Contrail only has about 3,000 miles on it, and I plan to do about 1,000 miles more in 2018. I'm guessing that I'll be buying something next off-season and it'll probably be a tent with a slightly shorter footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Yeah, I left out that I was comparing to the Duplex. For the full Dynema TT, it’s $50 more and smaller space than the Duplex. I was hoping it would be more competitive than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Duplex is a tarp tent, fly with attached floor and side mesh.
    The notch is a double wall tent so not exactly comparable.
    The end struts of the Notch add to the manufacturing cost but allows for a shorter footprint.

Other than weight and cost, this tent has a lot of great things to offer. I hate that it's $650...because I'm probably going to order one anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I have a regular Notch and use it when a grand kid wants to go with me. It weighs in at 28 oz. Stated weight for the Notch Li is 19.9 oz. a difference of 8.1 oz. Regular Notch is $314.00 compared to $649.00 for the lighter Notch. A simple cost analysis comes out to $41.35 per oz. saved. I love my Notch but cannot justify $41.35 per oz. Here's hoping Henry can bring the price down in the future.
    Blackheart

Just to add to my comparison above (cost of sil vs DCF) another manufacturer that sells both has one with a 3 oz saving for $175, ($58 per oz) , another one is 5 oz less for $325 ( $65 per oz) another saves 7 oz for $435 ($62)

Journal Entries

Sorry Franco, didn't mean to step on your toes ie message.
    Blackheart

I just noticed that "new for 2018" the silnylon Notch ALSO has zipper-less doors like the new Cuben version...yet it weighs the same as it did last year with zippers. Hmmm...

I agree with puddlefish; I like the size of the Notch. I like its features over the one person zpacks tents...so I will quite likely upgrade to the Notch Li if it remains available for a while - this broken collar bone is putting a damper on my income which leads to less spending. :/

The Duplex is a tarp tent, fly with attached floor and side mesh.
    The notch is a double wall tent so not exactly comparable.
    The end struts of the Notch add to the manufacturing cost but allows for a shorter footprint.
    Yes, but value is still a consideration. Between the 3 choices (Original Notch, Notch Li, Duplex) I’ll take the original. If the Notch Li had come in under the price of the Duplex it would have been worth it me, but since I have no desire or need for a tent over $400 the two dynema options just aren’t viable.

In pretty much every forum, where I have seen the Notch Li discussed, at least one person pointed out the cost per ounce saved. I have just replied that basically that is the cost and in fact the TT difference is smaller than with other manufacturers.
    Some think that Cuben may come down in price but going by the increasing price of other fabrics ( like silnylon) I don't see that happening.

Henry really blew me away with the price point of this new campaign. It is his choice but when I saw the price I automatically gave that look like a just smelled a stinky fart but didn't understand where it had come from.

Don't want to keep banging on the zpacks drum but 1 last time...

Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person
    Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person

I have a TT and a Duplex so I am not biased
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Henry really blew me away with the price point of this new campaign. It is his choice but when I saw the price I automatically gave that look like a just smelled a stinky fart but didn't understand where it had come from.

Don't want to keep banging on the zpacks drum but 1 last time...

Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person
    Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person

I have a TT and a Duplex so I am not biased

Zpacks Duplex...21 oz for $600 for 2 person............21 oz plus the weight of 8 stakes
    Tarptent Notch Li.... 19.9 oz $649 for 1 person.........19.9 oz includes the weight of 4 stakes

Tarptent Notch Li approx 10 oz for the tarp without the inner net
    Zpacks Duplex non removeable floor and netting..........

Tarptent Notch Potential to purchase Inner with semi solid walls for semi 4 season use
    Zpacks Duplex not an option

Tarptent Notch Ability to replace inner, floor takes most of the wear
    Zpacks Notch ? can always repair

Tarptent Notch set up in 2-3minutes minutes anyone with a Notch or Moment knows this
    Zpacks Duplex 8 stakes to place and adjust

You may want to look at the Notch for its versatility........sort of like an adaptable "system" instead of a pure distinct solution OR you may not..............

It may be more comparable to products like
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...ht-system.html
    https://www.yamamountaingear.com/cub...rriform-sw-1p/

Merely trying to provide a slightly different way of looking at it..........

I'm not shopping for a tent, and cuben doesn't meet my value criteria yet anyway, but between this Notch Li and a Duplex - I'd much prefer the Notch for the floorless config option.

I converted over to a floorless pyramid w/ inner tent a couple years ago and find I adore the floorless config option (just fly and footprint) as a practical 'in between' being outside, and zipped up inside a bug net - don't need to remove boots or zip through doors to lie down or access gear; 90%+ bug barrier even w/ door latched open; and in the rain you can use a chair inside, have a giant cooking space, and even dig an indoor latrine.

I still use the solo inner tent for sleeping as I have creepy crawlie phobia while obliviously asleep, but in all but the worst mosquito conditions, the inner tent is collapsed and fly door latched open while I'm awake. I now find fixed floors and doors better at keeping me out, than the bugs out.

Just another $0.02 opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++