WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Whos wants to do a thru-hike starting this april, but needs someone to go with?

Im attempting a thru-hike this year, the plan is to start in Georgia (nobo). I'm looking to see if anyone wants to do a thru-hike, but doesn't have anyone to go with.

Thinking of starting march 27.

I was also planning on starting late march, to early april. My plan is to film a documentary of my experience on the AT as well. Have you hiked any of the AT before?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking.man.dan View Post
    Im attempting a thru-hike this year, the plan is to start in Georgia (nobo). I'm looking to see if anyone wants to do a thru-hike, but doesn't have anyone to go with.
    there will be tons of hikers on the trail headed north in april, among them you will find people who hike your style(mostly) and who are fun to hang with. trying to find a partnes prior to going is practically impossible. even married couples struggle with hiking style compatibility issues - LOL ask me how i know...

The night before my thru hike attempt, I was chatting with a dozen other hikers at the hostel. I mentally shuffled them into groups of who I might see again based on their physical appearance, age and such things.

Long story short, I was mostly very wrong about the relative speeds of everyone in the room. Even the people who I saw most every night for a month, hiked at different paces, and started/stopped at different times of the day. Often I'd see different hikers at different times of the day, passing each other several times. Faster uphill, slower downhill, or vice versa.

I did find a hiking buddy, who pretty much had the same habits that I did. Rising early, stopping for lunch and hiking late. However, after a month, I got into shape, lost weight and eventually started hiking much faster than him. It's tiring and frustrating to change your pace a lot to match someone else's.

Just hike, you'll rarely be alone. You'll find people who hike at your pace. Most everyone is friendly, you'll find hiking buddies, for an hour, for a day, for a week, maybe longer. I'm completely anti-social off the trail, and I managed it.

++ New Posts ++